PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    Options
    drumstix and thichs are nice coated in bbq sauce and roasted....u could marinade them in juice of a lemon and some herbs(fresh thyme is nice)for what ever time u have in the fridge......generally upward of an hour and roast...........u couls dip them in seasoned flour then beaten egg and then breadcrumbs and shallow fry them............u could pour curry sauce over them and make a curry.........or add some veg and a casserole mix....enjoy
    onwards and upwards
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bc3000,

I prefer chicken thighs and drumsticks to breasts as they aren't as dry as the breast meat and I think they're tastier. Just pop them in the oven and cook at 200 degrees for about 20 - 25 minutes until the juices run clear. They're great in casseroles or add some seasoning or a sauce.

These earlier threads might help:

Chicken Drumsticks

chicken thighs and drumsticks..kentucky style seasoning ?

Chicken Thighs

I'll add your post to the chicken drumsticks thread later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • cymrugirl
    Options
    I don't know if this is up your alley but this is what I do:
    marinade:
    4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 1/2 tsp of sugar
    1/4 tsp of salt
    3/4 tsp of pepper
    3 1/2 tbsp maggi or light soy sauce
    2 1/2 tbsp canola oil or other neutral oil

Combine all the ingredients together, then marinade the chicken. Try and get it under the skin as well.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 200 C
    30 mins before cooking, remove the chicken from fridge and line them on aluminium foil, skin side down
    Put chicken in oven on the middle rack. After about 15 mins, you will hear sizzling. Turn the pieces over at this point and continue to roast for between 30-50 mins (till skin is browned and crispy and juices run clear). Total cooking time should take 40-60 mins (including the initial 15 mins).

Serve with salad or I normally serve it with rice and salad.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    bc3000 wrote: »
    Hi there...

Seeing as drumsticks/thigh/etc is cheaper than chicken breast, I've decided to make some tonight but I don't know what to do with it! I'm only 18, never cooked anything but breast before..

Any tips?

Hiya!!

Your be fine. Chicken drumsticks are easy to cook.....I can do them, so you will be fine:D

With it being your first time, I would pre-heat oven to about 170c (medium heat) then place them in an oven proof dish or tray. Leave a little gap between each one and just leave in oven for 15 mins, then turn them over for another 15 mins. Just make sure the juices are clear and not any pink juices coming out and you will be fine. I normally add a little salt and pepper before placing them in the oven.

Next time, you can try different variations. BBQ or Curry...its up to you.

Enjoy the chicken and any left over could be stripped from the bone and used in a curry or savoury rice:confused:

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • randomtask_2
    Options
    I rarely buy chicken breast meat - have always preferred thigh and drumstick and its much more affordable.

I usually roast them as per cooking time given by Pink-winged, using using whaterver herb and/or spice combination takes my fancy. Soy sauce, a hint of chilli and a drizzle of honey works quite well too. Can be equally nice just seasoned well with a bit of olive oil rubbed into them before going into the oven.
    "Who throws a shoe, honestly?"
    :rotfl:
  • pink_princess
    Options
    Oh chicken drumsticks and thighs are lovely.They are much nicer than breast meat,no michelin star restaurant serves breast as it s dry and tasteless compared to thigh s .Anyway enough raving about them.
    I would just slow roast them wrapped in foil with a rub of garlic butter for 20 mins on 170 .Then unwrap the foil for 15 mins on 180.
    Hope this helps you ve made me hungry now lol.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    When we having a 'copy a takeaway night' (!), for KFC I sprinkle Chicken Oxo onto the drumsticks/thighs and cook...........very fattening as you eat the skin (which I wouln't normally)......but very tasty!

Good luck.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    This one seriously couldn't be any easier and you can keep the leftovers as they're delish cold:

STICKY CHICKEN

Ingredients:

[Coating]
    1 large coffee mug of plain flour
    1 teaspoon each of: Paprika, Onion Salt, Mustard Powder, Chilli Powder
    ---
    [Sauce]
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon french mustard
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    2 cloves garlic (minced)
    3 tablespoons dried onions

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 200c
    2. Put all the coating ingredients in a plastic bag, toss in your chicken drumsticks and give it all a good shake to coat them.
    3. Put the coated drummers in an oven-proof dish in the oven and bake until the skin starts to go lightly golden (approx 15 mins)
    4. Put ALL the sauce ingredients in a pan and heat on a hob, stirring until the sugar has disolved.
    5. Pour the warm sauce over the chicken drumsticks and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the drummers are cooked and the sauce has reduced and gone sticky.
    ----

These are great hot served with rice, noodles, potato wedges or just with salad. They are lovely cold!
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • bc3000
    bc3000 Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've saved them in a doc for next time.. Forgot to check the thread before I made them, so ended up sticking rosemary, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper under the skin, and serving with mashed potato :) It was nice!
    I'll definitely try some of the recipes suggested :)
  • louserendipity
    Options
    hi i have 3 chicken legs (quite large ones) left in my freezer
    i had been doing them in a casserole but as there are 7 of us i don't have enough to do that and was wondering how can i cook them so i can use the meat off them to do chicken and pasta or a curry??
    i thought about roasting them but i don't do meat very often and to be honest,don't really know what i'm doing !!
    any ideas appreciated ,
    lou
    smoke free since 01/02/09 :T
    thanks to all those who've helped
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business