PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    hi i have 3 chicken legs (quite large ones) left in my freezer
    i had been doing them in a casserole but as there are 7 of us i don't have enough to do that and was wondering how can i cook them so i can use the meat off them to do chicken and pasta or a curry??
    i thought about roasting them but i don't do meat very often and to be honest,don't really know what i'm doing !!
    any ideas appreciated ,
    lou

As it happens, I'm making this tonight for friends, from the Gordon Ramsey book I was given for my birthday :j

Yes, you could cook the legs in a casserole, or bake, then strip the meat to share between you :D

I'll add this to the existing thread on chicken legs to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • sunflower76
    Options
    I like them chicked in the SC on their own or with some BBQ sauce. Both are really simple to do.
  • HelsBells74
    Options
    I'm making chicken and mushroom pie with meat stripped from the legs and thighs that I have poached in stock and wine. I will then make the sauce with half poaching liquid, half milk. Yum! I also made coq au vin in the sc last week with some legs and thighs, which was a great success. :)
  • louserendipity
    Options
    As it happens, I'm making this tonight for friends, from the Gordon Ramsey book I was given for my birthday :j

Yes, you could cook the legs in a casserole, or bake, then strip the meat to share between you :D

I'll add this to the existing thread on chicken legs to keep ideas together.

Penny. x

thankyou so how would i bake them for how long and what temperature ?
    do i cover them or put any foil on?
    sorry but i'm not a very confident cook !
    smoke free since 01/02/09 :T
    thanks to all those who've helped
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    I guess we do things the really easy way. We buy chicken legs and thighs all the time, especially when on sale. We just bung them in the Remoska (or in a baking pan, covered, into the oven if you don't have the Remoska - or a slow cooker if you want I suppose), toss some type of sauce over them and cook til they're done. Sometimes bbq sauce (and serve with mash), sometimes the Sainsbury's 20p per jar sweet and sour sauce (you can add value pineapple chunks and carrots to spruce it up a bit, serve with rice), sometimes cream of mushroom and mushrooms (serve with noodles). It works great and is really easy.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    we had a reduced bag of chicken drumsticks in the freezer and i had no idea what to make with them.... i pan fried them for a couple of minutes and put them in the slow cooker with a chicken chasseur mix . had mash and veg with it. it was great a sort of tomato taste lovely!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used drumsticks to make this (you have to adapt the recipe) http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513665

or I mix 1oz butter, 3 tbsp dijon mustard, 1tsp sugar, 2tsp paprika, juice of one lemon, salt & pepper.

Put the chicken bits in a dish and spread half the mixture over them. Cook for 15 mins at 200C. Turn over, and spread the rest of the mixture over the other side. Bake for a further 15 mins or till done. Grill till dark & crisp. Serve with mashed potato & broccoli, and pour any juices over them.
  • masonsmum
    masonsmum Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went past my local butchers today and they were selling 3 chicken legs for £1. Thought about boiling them to make a soup as my father in law is very poorly and a good plate of homemade soup will be great for him. I have a bag of lentils and loads of veg in the fridge so what could I do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    I think that's a great idea! :)

I'd chop the veg finely, sweat it slightly in a little butter or oil, then add some lentils. Add the chicken and cover with water and maybe a stock cube if you've got one?

Simmer until the chicken's cooked and the lentils are soft, then take the chicken out and strip it off the bone. Add half the chicken back into the pot and then whiz with a hand blender, or in a liquidiser.

Add the rest of the chicken, season and stir. Yum! :)

Hope your father in law likes it - what a kind thing for you to do :) xxxx
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing to add Beki's recipe sounds perfect.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport