PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I find chicken in Oz very expensive so when I went shopping yesterday and found that the drumsticks were on offer I brought 16 of them for $5 (approx £2.50). I cooked 8 yesterday in my slow cooker and used the meat to make chicken currys and have frozen them.

Now I have 8 left which need to be cooked today but im looking for ideas as to how to cook them?

We had a roast dinner the other night so I dont fancy doing that with them, also there are only the two of us so it would make far too much. Oh and even though we are in Oz we are yet to buy a bbq so thats not an option either.

Any nice recipes or ideas?

Many thanks

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • Cat_Addict
    Options
    Stir fry chicken with noodles?
    Wendy x
  • markphelan
    Options
    Make up a honey and wholegrain mustard marinade and cook them in the oven, re-coating occasionally. Delicious!
  • Penny_Watcher
    Options
    A slow cooker family favourite here is to put small slivers of garlic into the chicken then brown them off a little in the frying pan.

In a saucepan combine the juice of a lemon, a tablespoon of grain mustard and a tablespoon of honey and heat through.

Put the chicken into the slow cooker, pour over the lemon honey mustard mix and cook on low for about 6-7 hours.

When it's cooked stir in some double cream to make a sauce (about a couple of tablespoons full).

We have this with boiled rice.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you jsut freeze them and decide later lol
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    id dip them in flour then beaten egg and then bread crumbs...fry to colour and then finish off in the oven....u could put some in a plastic bag with some lemon juice and a bit of thyme and freeze...when u defrost them bake in the oven
    onwards and upwards
  • falady
    falady Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Pixie,

A couple of idas for you....

1) Put the drumsticks in a big bowl with a couple of tablespoons of curry paste and about 250g natural yogurt. Mix to coat the drumsticks with the marinade. Tikka paste is nice, and you can add the juice of half a lemon too if you have one lurking in the fridge.
    Leave the drumsticks to marinate for up to a day in the fridge (cover with clingfilm or everything will smell of curry!). Bake in the oven for 40 mins ish (depending on size) until cooked through. V tasty!

2) Make a BBQ marinade for the drumsticks and cook in oven as above. I don't have exact quantities, but approx measures are:

4 tbsp ketchup / passata
    2 tbsp vinegar eg white wine vinegar
    2 tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp five spice powder.

You can also put in worcestershire sauce, chilli etc as you please.

Sorry its a big vague - I tend to put things in, give it a taste / sniff (before chicken goes in obv) and keep adjusting!

Ali xx
    Not Buying It 2015 :)
  • Leela_G
    Leela_G Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    I have found some chicken drumsticks in my freezer, any idea's what i can do with them?

I don't have much in terms of herbs or anything and don't get paid until next week....

Any ideas appreciated :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Leela G,

This earlier thread should help:

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No need to do anything with them really, defrost overnight in the fridge, as in take them out tonight and cook them for tomorrow night. I do 45 mins at gas mark 6, wrapped in foil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure