PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread - Saturday 11th October

Options

Comments

• betheebee
    betheebee Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, JET, you must be mad of brave, good luck on your dive.

Well, I was in 2 minds whether to get out of bed today as y/day was a dissaster. I was trying to empty the study to decorate. I unscrewed a mirror off the wall,4ft x 3ft and dropped it, glass everywhere. As I put the glass in the bin I could hear some road works at the end of my drive.
    I went to investigate and found 3 council workers digging a hole right next to the entrance. I asked what they were they doing. ''Where putting a post in for a speed sign'' I explained that I would have to get the front wheels of my car onto the road before I could see if any traffic was coming around the corner as the pole would block my view.
    Jobsworth steped in and said they had to put it there. I said it was dangerous and asked them to move it further down the pavement.
    ''Nope it's got to be here''
    I deceided that the only way to stop them was to jump into the hole, so I did.
    I stood in the hole, up to my hips for nearly 2 hrs before they would tell me who was responsible. They just stared in disbelief at this mad woman.

Got DH to fetch my phone so I could calll the idiot at the Council who had arranged for the pole to be placed there. He was at lunch, eventually spoke to him an hour later. He agreed to drive here and asses the situation, meanwhile DH bought out a tray of coffees and slices of my apple cake. Workers sat in the van, I sat in the hole.
    Idiot Council man arrived and agreed it was dangerous, so they agreed to refill the hole...... once I had climbed out. 3hrs 15mns stood in a hole.
    So didn't achieve much in the study.

Plan to do lots today to make up for lost time, DF bought a bag of apples and a marrow around, think he just wanted to find out why I was stood in a hole, anyway I'll make another apple cake and stuffed marrow for dinner, have some ys mince defrosting. BM and WM whiring away.

Off to catch up on y/days thread, back later.
  • troo
    troo Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    Morning :hello:

Beth, well done, quite an achievement I think thumbsup2.gif Wonder if you'll be in the local paper today? :D
    betheebee wrote: »
    I deceided that the only way to stop them was to jump into the hole, so I did.
    :rotfl:

It's just the usual washing and cleaning here today. I usually spend saturday mornings scrubbing the cages - they're swished every day but on saturdays they have a full valet :D - but mr troo did that yesterday.

I found my fave fish pie in Morrison's yesterday. I have one every week but for the past 3 weeks there were none to be seen in any shop anywhere :eek: So all is right in my little world today :D
    I am a coffee bean
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    Beth - that did make me smile!!! What has it come to, when to get any sense out of someone (well, a council...) you have to do something like that?? You must have been quite a sight....

Well done for making a stand!!!!!!!!!!
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone
    :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: and(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) to all
    Jet good luck braver than me
    Beth :rotfl: but well done for standing your ground
    welcome to the new posters

well my day hasn't started well I made my first cuppa and then promptly dropped it luckily we have laminate so a quick mop up and the cup didn't break
    today I have the inevitable washing to do but hopefully I will manage to get it or at least some on the line
    the baking didn't get done yesterday so I might do that whilst the kid's are tidying their bedrooms but I might have to do a Troo first:D to get them moving
    not a lot else for me today
    have a good day all
    pam xx
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning All

Congrats Diva on your cheesecake win

Jet :eek: :eek: good luck - my friend said it was of the most exciting things she ever has done - me I am way too much of a wuss.

Bethebee - well done :rotfl:

Hello and welcome Dinkydido

Well am feeling much better today although had a terrible nights sleep, OH's heavy breathing and snoring kept me awake, luckily he is back on nights all next week.

Off to watch England play today, tickets were bought ages ago. Have luncheon vouchers which I hope to use at the KFC near Liverpool Street and will take other snacks. Hopefully wont waste too much money.

This morning will have a little tidy up and make some bread.

Have a great day all.
    x
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning peeps :wave:

i`ve just caught up with yesterdays thread as i never managed to post. We were out for most of the day doing bits and bats that needed doing at various places.

DH has just set off to w*rk and i need to spend an hour in the kitchen and also update my freezer list and meal planner before heading off to the shops with dad.

The houndies need a walk and i need a soak in the bath too but i think that i shall save that treat for later after the shops. :D

I have one of the biggest piles of ironing that has ever been seen in this house so i shall have a sort through it later and see it there are any clothes that can just be put away without bothering. I try and do this with clothes that are worn around the house or for doing grubby jobs etc

Yesterday i went to Asda to look at the smart price fleece throws that someone mentioned on here, they are great and they had a huge shelf full of .them - i bought 6. I had a horrible feeling that they were going to be rubbish or sold out but i was lucky for once. I shall make some curtain linings for some of the windows from them as they are a very good size. :D

Belated Birthday wishes for Squishy for yesterday - hope that you had a wonderful day!

Diva - ((((HUGS))))for your friend

Essex girl - It`s good that things with the strange guy are getting sorted out.
    Me - i never answer the door if i don`t know who is standing at the other side, i`m terrible for it and once had a phonecall from my DSis asking where i had been one morning, i told her that i hadn`t been anywhere and she asked me why i hadn`t answered the door. I told hr that i always ignore it as these days it`s always some one who i don`t need to speak to We had a good laugh about it but now she always rings if she is on her way.

Jet77 - Good luck with the skydiving :eek: hope that you raise tons, you are braver than i`ll ever be as i`ve always been scared of heights.

Betheebee - Great achievement regarding the hole :rotfl: i`ve just been in bits reading it!

I`m off into the kitchen now so catch up later guys.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all :hello:

Wow Jet - good luck and I hope you raise lots of money.

Welcome dinkydido

Bethebee - well done you! :rotfl:

Well I am off to town to see DSis this morning then back to tidy up the house. DS has gone to his friends for the weekend and DD2 is out today at her friends too. So I have no excuse not to get the place shining.
  • bootsalebabe
    Options
    Morning friends, up early this morning and already fortified DH with a cooked breakfast to make a last ditch attempt on completing the bathroom today. Unfortunatley DH has caught my cold, so i will keep him supplied with honey and lemon and paracetamol too.
    Its our 21st wedding anniversary so we are having a cosy night in with a bottle and a HM chicken curry, if either of us can keep our eyes open Lol!
    Might pop out later to see about some flooring for bathroom, just cant wait to do the finishing touches now,
    No bootsale tomorrow as DH is at work at 7am, so i will be lost!
    Welcome DINKYDIDO you will enjoy it here, everyone so friendly and supportive! Its a good time of year to do your bootsale with Christmas fast approaching, get there early, and dont be afraid of the dealers, remember they are the ones with the cash, contrary to popular belief they dont want stuff for nothing, just a good deal that allows them to sell on. You will often take over £50 in the first few minutes if you have something they want. Never pull up and leave your boot closed as they will walk away and spend their money with others. Try to see to them yourself and let someone else do the general unpacking. Any jewellery, mobile phones, dvd's keep in the front of the car with you and take them out first where you can supervise the sales. The general public usually want stuff for nothing, most like to barter, so hold your prices until about 11am then sell your stuff off if you dont want to take it home with you. Hope this has been helpful!!!!
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SKY DIVE JET!!!!
    WELL DONE BETHEEBEE FOR STANDING YOUR GROUND (or standing in the ground) LOL
    Have a good Saturday all BSB XX
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning :wave:

Good luck Jet, rather you than me

Beth, well done for standing up to them (even if you were standing in a hole) :T

Not sure what we are doing today, but might make a cherry cake, and like everyone else, I have a glut of apples to use. A friend got me some demijohns from a charity shop for £1 each, so might check what I need to make some wine.

X Factor and Strictly tonight, and a nice Indian man will provide the food :rotfl:

Have a good day everyone x
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • dubgirl
    dubgirl Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone, well the sun is peeping through here, looks like will be a nice day. OH at work till 12pm, will pick him up and then venture to the butchers in Bletchley. Also got to take the dog for a walk in a bit and then get the shopping at morrisons, such exciting times. We are all full of cold at the moment, just hope it has cleared up by monday, have a good day, duddles x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure