cheap building and contents discussions (Merged Discussion)

in N. Ireland
116 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• I just got my house & contents insurenace renewed through tescos (who use natwest). They currently have an offer which is 35% off if you buy online PLUS £15 cashback!

Halifax quoted me £205 with my 30% no claims discount, tescos quoted me £143 without no claims discount plus you can phone 0845 300 6383 and they'll write you a cashback style cheque for £15 (if your insurance is under £200 or £40 if its over £200!).

I have read the very smallprint and I'm pretty much getting the same insurance as with Halifax but with a lower excess!

So I guess when you add it up my B&C insurance cost me £128! Oh yes and I get the clubcard points for the £143 amount!
  • Any recommended companies for House Insurance in NI?
    The "UK" online insurance searches seem to cover only GB...
    Am currently with Tesco,but would like a few alternatives to shop round for a renewal.

Thanks!
    Ipoints 5392
    Pigsback Piggypoints 2250
    Nectar points 1400
    GFK TV Survey £5 Amazon voucher (Oct)Archerfish £3 (Paypal)
    Mylot £9 (Oct):beer:
  • I am insured with tescos, for a detached house (rebuild value £1m), and contents cover of £25k. The house insurance covers like for like rebuild including heating, electrics, white goods includen oven and hob, kitchen, bathroom etc and of course the rebuild of the house, and the contents covers clothes, curtains, carpets etc and small goods.

The cover cost me £143 but there is an offer at the moment where you get £15 cashback, so really I will only pay £128. You also get the clubcard points at the higher value (143 points), which equates to another £1.43 off, effectively bringing the cost to £126.57!

Tescos use Natwest as the insurer. Here is the link, you can get a quote online:

http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/insurance/homeins/index.jsp
  • wotnoshoesehwotnoshoeseh Forumite
    224 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have always found Abbey Insurance to be the cheapest and I shop around every year. Currently I am insured for re-build cost of ~£170K and contents cover of £35K with accidental damage included for ~£170. Anyone else I talked to couldn't come near this. You just need to shop around.
    Good Luck.
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • steveympsteveymp Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked directline on the internet and their cover is £105:eek: This includes the minimun £1m rebuild and if I do it through Quidco I get £60 cashback.

So £45 for a years home insurance:D

And yes they do Norn Iron aswell:T
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • I too can highly recommend https://www.directline.com.
    They were the cheapest and I think the best cover...as Steveymp described.

Last month I insured our home with them and the family also got FREE annual European Travel insurance included in the price.
    It came in separate policy documentation a week or so after I received the house policy.
    Every penny is a prisoner.......
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As we have a building and contents discussion already on the board, I'm adding this to it. :)
  • declanhdeclanh Forumite
    133 Posts
    Using the search engine i cant find any hits for house or home insurance but plenty for car insurance....

Has anyone any pointers to a good deal on house + contents insurance - renewal has just come in at 489 ukp which is a bit of a shock..

I know i can knock about 100 off that by removing the accidental cover, but id like to keep that if possible
    I used to have a signature with links to the League Tables for good/bad shipping charges for Northern Ireland. But I have since learnt that this is against site rules - so they are no longer here! PM me if you need them
  • Hi Declan

That's an extortionate price. :eek: I have been paying £329 basically as I didn't know any different.

Are you a member of Quidco? If not join up now. I have found that I can get my insurance through Direct Line for £173. On top of that I will get £75 cashback for going through Quidco so a good saving.

There are others on there offering £120 eg. Barclays and Lloyds but as far as I know they don't insure over here. Zurich were offering £120 but they have pulled the offer as people were abusing it.

Hope you get sorted.
  • declanhdeclanh Forumite
    133 Posts
    Hi Declan

That's an extortionate price. :eek: I have been paying £329 basically as I didn't know any different.

Are you a member of Quidco? If not join up now. I have found that I can get my insurance through Direct Line for £173. On top of that I will get £75 cashback for going through Quidco so a good saving.

There are others on there offering £120 eg. Barclays and Lloyds but as far as I know they don't insure over here. Zurich were offering £120 but they have pulled the offer as people were abusing it.

Hope you get sorted.
    I am with quidco, i have already checked directline , it was 469 (with accidental damage) about 100 quid less without.
    mind you 75 quid off is not to be sniffed at, it would at least bring it down to less than 400.

Dunno why its gone up some much in recent times, it was 280 about 3 years ago an i thought that was bad!

D
    I used to have a signature with links to the League Tables for good/bad shipping charges for Northern Ireland. But I have since learnt that this is against site rules - so they are no longer here! PM me if you need them
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides