PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thurs 9th Oct 08

Options

Comments

• mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy Birthday Mr Sunnyday! :bdaycake:
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • chocolate.orange_2
    Options
    Morning everyone

Another cold,damp hectic morning here. I really must get into the habit of getting DSs packed lunches ready as soon as they get home from school or i forget... Yes i forgot today also :( Fell asleep on the sofa at about 9pm woke at 3am freezing,went to bed and OH had left my electric blanket on and i was boiling !! No wonder i am so full of cold.My throat feels like a cheese grater today.

Hugs to those who need them
    Tissues to those who need those. If i still feel like this tomorrow i am handing out vitamin c tablets ;)
    furrypig says:my name is Choccy and I am addicted to nose free stamps as I want to save them all and give them noses!!!:rotfl:
    About me. Im Choccy or Chocolate orange depending on where i am.Yes occasionally i am a total looon who spends too long online,but no where near as much £ as her spendy elves do ..:D
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Troo and kathy, just off to see mum now before work, I did not like to ring too early in case she was alseep, will let you know later, thank you :A

Happy Birthday to Mr Sunnyday xx

xx
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    mioliere wrote: »
    I was astounded to learn that several local authorities have invested money in Icelandic banks. I won't be quite so understanding the next time they put the Council Tax up; how can they plead poverty, cut back on services like Meals on Wheels and deny people weekly rubbish collections (we're lucky - we still have them and our binmen will take everything we leave out even if it's not in the wheelie bin) yet still have money to spare for investing?

But how would we all feel if said Local Authorities just left their millions in government grants & council tax income sat in a current account, where it would gain little interest.......? We'd be the first to complain about them missing out on any opportunities to have more money to spend on their residents. They get the majority of their cash in one lump for the whole year & have to make it last, paying out for contracted services & salaries every month, so really it's the same as any of us living on a (much smaller) budget - we think nothing of bunging our spare cash into a savings account to work for us until we need it to pay for something, and if the Icelandic banks offered a better return, then Councils are no different from us mere mortals by wanting to stretch each penny as far as they can.

Ok rant over....will go & have brekkie and pootle off to work :o

See you later :grouphug: and love to all
    Floss xx
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    BTW, sorry if I have offended anyone by bringing Council services into the Daily Thread....have just re-read it & it sounds a bit "local election broadcast" - sorry!
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :wave:

Cool here today,but bright. This is how yesterday started and the afternoon was glorious, so hopefully the same today. Work today - again I put the slow cooker on yesterday, and forgot to alter the timer, so it was beans on toast for dinner :o Will try again today :rolleyes:

I read what Pixie put yesterday, and I understand what she means, it's not very often I have anything important to post, but it gets my day off to a good start having a virtual chat with all my OS friends, and with all the horrible things going on out there, it is nice to just 'mioliere' about nothing much.

Off to do Charlie's breakfast, have a great day everyone x
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone:hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: and ((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))) to all ( sorry if I don't mention by name only my mushy brain can only retain so much info)
    It's nice outside but blooming chilly I had to get ds2 to school before 7:45 as he's going to see romeo and juliet in london with the school
    I am now sitting here with a :coffee: trying to warm up
    Today I have to go shopping which I'm not fond of and do a huge pile of washing which I will hopefully get some dry outside
    :bdaycake: happy birthday mr sunnyday
    have a good day all
    pam xx
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    But how would we all feel if said Local Authorities just left their millions in government grants & council tax income sat in a current account, where it would gain little interest.......? We'd be the first to complain about them missing out on any opportunities to have more money to spend on their residents. They get the majority of their cash in one lump for the whole year & have to make it last, paying out for contracted services & salaries every month, so really it's the same as any of us living on a (much smaller) budget - we think nothing of bunging our spare cash into a savings account to work for us until we need it to pay for something, and if the Icelandic banks offered a better return, then Councils are no different from us mere mortals by wanting to stretch each penny as far as they can.

Ok rant over....will go & have brekkie and pootle off to work :o

See you later :grouphug: and love to all

Floss xx

Hi Floss - I WOULD complain if they left spare cash doing nothing when they could and should be spending it on services for the residents who pay Council Tax; it's when they cut down on essential things like Meals on Wheels and so on, actually telling us that they can't afford to provide them, that I get angry. I wouldn't insist on saving money if it meant not providing essentials for my family; also, it's the amount of money they have invested - millions and millions of pounds. I just don't want to hear them say 'we can't afford this or that' when they patently can if they just used the money we gave them. We are receiving less and less for our Council Tax but at least we now know one of the reasons for that. Now, it looks as though it has been lost anyway, so what else will they have an excuse to cut back on? Because, it's us who will have to make up the shortfall.

Please don't apologise, though - we are all entitled to our own thoughts about things and yours are just as valid as mine!

That's my rant over, I promise! Have a good day.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    good morning all
    ((( hugs)) to all that need / want
    N9eav sorry to hear justice not served. it seems to be more and more like that these days and honest people seem to get it in the neck for the slightest misdemeanour and crims get off scot free:mad: :mad:
    sunny here this morning . at work till lunchtime then off to lidl
    cant remember whats for tea!
    hope eveyone has a great day xx
    p.s. thanks for all the support yesterday, much appreciated x
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Cold here in Essex this am but should hopefully warm up later
    N9eav sorry to hear about the case still everyone knows his name shame we cant brand him on his forehead:mad:
    Pixie sorry you are leaving hope you both and the boys are ok enjoy Florida when you next return dont forget to pop back once in a while
    hugs to all who need them and OJ and vit C tabs to all those with colds .
    we are off out to have a look at stone circles for the garden i have seen one i like http://www.stonemarket.co.uk/vintage-stone/vintage-stone-manor
    it looks lovely with a brass inlay for north but at nearly £500:eek: i think i will be dreaming for a bit longer and just have a plain one this time
    have a good day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport