Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Options

Comments

• Barneyknows
    Options
    I have just been credited with £4257 for a claim that I made for an alarm system we had fitted, the company went bust when we had paid for 10 years monitoring etc. I have never done anything like this before and even though the claim took three months from start to finish, I am now wondering if I have to use the refund to have another alarm system fitted, or can we just sit on the money for a while. The letter from the bank said it was to pay for a system from a company we sent a quote for, we have had others since and we really don't want to go with the company in the banks letter. The acceptance letter I signed just said a full and final settlement between my bank and the original alarm company.
    Any information would be welcome.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just been credited with £4257 for a claim that I made for an alarm system we had fitted, the company went bust when we had paid for 10 years monitoring etc. I have never done anything like this before and even though the claim took three months from start to finish, I am now wondering if I have to use the refund to have another alarm system fitted, or can we just sit on the money for a while. The letter from the bank said it was to pay for a system from a company we sent a quote for, we have had others since and we really don't want to go with the company in the banks letter. The acceptance letter I signed just said a full and final settlement between my bank and the original alarm company.
    Any information would be welcome.

The money is yours, do with it what you want.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Sandraw
    Options
    Please help (first timer here!)
    I bought a new scaffold tower from a company on-line that came with a "free ladder" and paid in full on my visa credit card. The tower was delivered but no ladder and 2 months later and lots of emails to and fro the supplier is ignoring me and I still have no ladder. My credit card company told me that because the ladder was "free" I have no claim through them although I can send back the tower at my expense and they will seek a refund for me. Once I pointed out though that I had used the tower they said the supplier probably wouldn't accept it back. Consumer direct.gov advised me that the supplier is in breach of contract and even though the ladder was free is was part of the reason I bought from that company. They also said that in their opinion my credit card company is in breach of section 75 and that I can claim from them??? Can anyone shed any light as to my rights with this? xx
  • derrick
    Options
    Sandraw wrote: »
    Please help (first timer here!)
    I bought a new scaffold tower from a company on-line that came with a "free ladder" and paid in full on my visa credit card. The tower was delivered but no ladder and 2 months later and lots of emails to and fro the supplier is ignoring me and I still have no ladder. My credit card company told me that because the ladder was "free" I have no claim through them although I can send back the tower at my expense and they will seek a refund for me. Once I pointed out though that I had used the tower they said the supplier probably wouldn't accept it back. Consumer direct.gov advised me that the supplier is in breach of contract and even though the ladder was free is was part of the reason I bought from that company. They also said that in their opinion my credit card company is in breach of section 75 and that I can claim from them??? Can anyone shed any light as to my rights with this? xx

Consumer Direct are correct, if you want to keep the tower, inform the supplier you want the ladder from them or you will seek one from elsewhere and claim the cost from them via the Small Claims Court.

Copy to you CC company as they ARE liable under S75

• Sandraw
    Options
    Many thanks Derrick x
  • mermaidnwuk
    Options
    I paid a deposit of over £1,000 on my Goldfish Credit Card in March 2005 for a timeshare week - no cooling off period offered nor included in the paperwork. My first occupation of the week bought
    was October 2006 and this was when it became very clear that breaches of contract and misrepresentation had occurred. What was told was not what was sold and exaggeration had played a huge part in the enticement to buy/sign. Irregardless of my complaints made face-to-face with the Organisation's reps and written complaints about later problems experienced, the only offered solution has been to enjoy a 'week's free accommodation' or to buy more timeshare weeks at 'one-time only offer' prices. I have had enough of the untruths and they choose to ignore my complaints.

Is it too late for me to claim from my Credit Card under Section 75? Goldfish no longer exist but were held by Lloyds TSB at my time of use, in March 2005 and as pointed out previously, it was October 2006 before I could realise the problems involved with the purchase. I did present my situation to my local Trading Standards Office and they suggested the Credit Card Section 75 route but were 'unsure' of time limitations.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, everyone.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonder if someone can help please, I am hoping to book a holiday in the next few days through Inspired Luxury Travel (part of broadway travel). their CC charge is 2.5% of the cost of the holiday. I know that is good and extra protection to pay this way and it will work out at approx £67.

I have just been reading all the info on MSE about paying by CC and have read this:

When you buy through third parties. Travel agents, paypal etc.
    You're usually unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the good or service because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable.

Please can anyone explain to me what this means and why its worth paying by CC if we might not be covered. Does this mean that any holidays paid by CC via a travel agent or company would not be covered if anything did go wrong.

Thanks
  • derrick
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Wonder if someone can help please, I am hoping to book a holiday in the next few days through Inspired Luxury Travel (part of broadway travel). their CC charge is 2.5% of the cost of the holiday. I know that is good and extra protection to pay this way and it will work out at approx £67.

I have just been reading all the info on MSE about paying by CC and have read this:

When you buy through third parties. Travel agents, paypal etc.
    You're usually unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the good or service because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable.

Please can anyone explain to me what this means and why its worth paying by CC if we might not be covered. Does this mean that any holidays paid by CC via a travel agent or company would not be covered if anything did go wrong.

Thanks

I would have thiugt buying through a travel agent would be covered! but stand to be corrected.

Re paying the 2.5% CC charge, you are aware that you do not need to pay the whole amount via the CC? Just pay £1.,( 2.5% of £1. = 2.5pence), and the rest however you like, this covers the WHOLE purchase re S75;-
    "However, you don't have to have paid the full amount on your credit card – the card company is liable even if you made only part of the payment (a deposit, say) on your card."

MSE S75;-
    "As long as it costs more than £100, pay for even a fraction on a credit card and you're protected."

• katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    derrick, thank you. I wasn`t sure about just paying a fraction of the cost on CC and then the rest on a debit card. So I don`t have to pay £100 for each of us on the cc? Its a holiday for 3 people so as long as I pay a small amount I am covered? sorry so many questions that is great as I will save £60+.

Being simple this morning for a change!! total cost £2667 `ish if I paid say £100 on cc if needed to follow S75... I could put a claim in for it all?

Thanks
  • derrick
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    derrick, thank you. I wasn`t sure about just paying a fraction of the cost on CC and then the rest on a debit card. So I don`t have to pay £100 for each of us on the cc? Its a holiday for 3 people so as long as I pay a small amount I am covered? sorry so many questions that is great as I will save £60+.

Being simple this morning for a change!! total cost £2667 `ish if I paid say £100 on cc if needed to follow S75... I could put a claim in for it all?

Thanks

£100. will cost you £2.50 in CC charges. £1.00 will cost you 2.5 pence, both will give you FULL protection for the TOTAL cost of the transaction under S75.

It may also depend on your travel agent if they will accept such small amounts on the CC.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport