Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Options

Comments

• Lizrw
    Lizrw Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi  Could someone help clarify my position.  I paid a builder via credit card but as he did not have a credit card payment system I used Bill Hop.  Bill Hop say using them should not affect my rights, is this the case.
    Also I have a problem with some of the work, the total bill is £65,500 but the disputed work is under £30,000 again, do you think I am covered.  I will speak to the credit card company but would like opinion for the forum first.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lizrw said:
    Hi  Could someone help clarify my position.  I paid a builder via credit card but as he did not have a credit card payment system I used Bill Hop.  Bill Hop say using them should not affect my rights, is this the case.
    Also I have a problem with some of the work, the total bill is £65,500 but the disputed work is under £30,000 again, do you think I am covered.  I will speak to the credit card company but would like opinion for the forum first.

If Bill Hop is similar to Paypal, i.e a third party, then you are not covered under S75.
    The TOTAL bill is £65.500.00 the limit for S75 is £30.000.00 so you are not covered. Unless the bill can be split to show different works, but if you are in dispute with the builder I doubt he will assist.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Options
    derrick said:
    Lizrw said:

If Bill Hop is similar to Paypal, i.e a third party, then you are not covered under S75.
    The TOTAL bill is £65.500.00 the limit for S75 is £30.000.00 so you are not covered. Unless the bill can be split to show different works, but if you are in dispute with the builder I doubt he will assist.

100% IMO no S75 claim at all - if he did not have facility to accept cards - by using a 3rd party you are breaking the debtor-creditor relationship + it does not matter if the sum in dispute is £30k or less if you contracted him to work in total for £65k you are not covered.
  • Disselboom
    Options
    I write having been drawn into a situation where my flights to South Africa have been cancelled and the Travel Agency (Dial-a-Flight) and my credit card company (Tesco) will not refund me.

On Sunday the South African Government declared a state of national emergency and imposed travel restrictions and bans with immediate effect and for an indefinite period of time as a result of Covid-19 (the Coronavirus) and in doing so prohibited my family and me from travelling to South Africa for a vacation.

All flights to South Africa have now been cancelled and the planes grounded, except where repatriation efforts are underway.

We were due to fly with Virgin Atlantic and when contacting Dial-a-Flight for a refund, I was informed that I could only receive vouchers for future travel. Not satisfied with this option and being unable to reason with Dial-a-Flight, I contacted Tesco Bank for a ‘Section 75 refund’. Tesco advised me that as the airline has not cancelled the flight and written personally to me advising me of any cancellations that would affect my travel plans, I could not make a claim. Apparently, government legislation is not enough on its own to allow Tesco to process a refund for goods/services not received.

I booked and paid for our flights a year ago. Save going to my travel insurance provider, waiting in a long queue and paying excess for my claim, what are my rights and what can I do? 

• opayne93
    opayne93 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 18 March 2020 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Hi all. Interested to find out where we stand having booked a holiday property in the UK for a few weeks time, but as 3 members of our group are in isolation we are unable to go. The company (Crown Gardens) have offered to go next year, however we have people that were intending to fly over from around the world so that isn't an option. They are saying that we cannot have a refund and Aqua (credit card company) have said that we can claim under payment protection as they have offered us a date change. Where do we stand with this? Any advice would be great. 

Thanks,
    Ollie
  • reevesie2020
    Options
    Could I please have some advice.
    I booked a P&O cruise for 30th May.  It was suppose to be hubby and I.  Unfortunately we have now split so was going to take my mum.  Phoned them, they said not a problem.
    Then all the crazy kicks off with the virus, received an email from P&O to state i could cancel get 50% refund and 50% credit.  Was happy with that.  Have been trying unsuccessfully since 6th March to get through (phone records to prove this).  Fast forward to today and now receive an email saying previoua policy overruled i am now only entitled to a 110% credit.  This is completely unacceptable.  My mum is now in isolation  for 12 weeks, shes 73.   

Where do I stand, can I make a claim under Section 75?? 

Thank you.
  • ashwakeford
    Options
    Hi all
    Booked a package holiday with virgin, paid initial deposit with debit card but subsequently paid a couple of instalments of the balance with credit card. If our holiday is cancelled and virgin refuse to refund am i covered by section 75
    Thanks
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    Booked a package holiday with virgin, paid initial deposit with debit card but subsequently paid a couple of instalments of the balance with credit card. If our holiday is cancelled and virgin refuse to refund am i covered by section 75
    Thanks

Yes.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• dotman99
    Options

Hi I have paid for a apartment  for a holiday for which I will go on the 16 September I have paid 50% up front at time of booking as required on the 18 June they will automatically take the other 50%, as to the current situation and it does not get any better regarding the virus outbreak could I claim my money from my master card,unfortunately  my travel insurance will not cover this I know September is a bit off but come June do I put a stop to the payment and not go or pay and still not able to go and lose all the money which is £600 can you please advise

• marshall_cockney_fox
    Options
    I booked flights using my Lloyds credit card last summer. The Emirates flights have been cancelled for this weekends departure. We were going to Australia for my sister's wedding. The airline has cancelled the flight and is refusing to issue full refund. I approached Lloyds to lodge a s.75 or charge back claim for services not delivered. They flatly refused to allow me to lodge the claim stating the claim would be rejected as airline is offering vouchers. They were effectively stonewalling me, not even allowing me to get off the starting block. Can they do that? Seems entirely wrong and not in accordance with the consumer protection s.75 is meant to give. I don't consider vouchers a like for like remedy in this unpredictable climate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure