Another Tesco Massive Price Increase

Options

Comments

• A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    Gordon brown bit on food inflation starts at about 1hr 30m:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jm2pn/Jeremy_Vine_08_04_2009/

A constant rate of high inflation on food is declining food prices? He didn't even flinch when he said that. Nice to be able to choose your interviewer - he'd have got burnt by other interviewers.

Shop prices rose during March as the weak pound continued to push up the cost of food, new figures showed today.
    Shop price inflation edged up for the fourth month in a row to 2 per cent March from 1.9 per cent in February, data from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) revealed.
    The findings emerged after official data confounded expectations that the country would slump into deflation in February, as CPI inflation unexpectedly ticked up to 3.2 per cent from 3 per cent. However the RPI rate of inflation, which includes housing costs, fell to 0 per cent.
    According to the BRC, food inflation remained at 9 per cent in March, compared to increases of 7.5 per cent in January and 6.2 per cent in December, while the cost of non-food items fell by 1.5 per cent, after a 1.7 per cent drop in February.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article6058301.ece
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon brown bit on food inflation starts at about 1hr 30m:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jm2pn/Jeremy_Vine_08_04_2009/

A constant rate of high inflation on food is declining food prices? He didn't even flinch when he said that. Nice to be able to choose your interviewer - he'd have got burnt by other interviewers.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article6058301.ece

Vine is a real ar_se licking new labour sycophant hoping to get an OBE I've heard Bottler Brown on his show before. In the same broadcast Brown muttered that due to falling oil prices fuel price will come down in the next few months :rotfl: He must think we were all born yesterday
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    stamford wrote: »
    Vine is a real ar_se licking new labour sycophant hoping to get an OBE I've heard Bottler Brown on his show before. In the same broadcast Brown muttered that due to falling oil prices fuel price will come down in the next few months :rotfl: He must think we were all born yesterday

I've not heard him before but I have to say I don't like the guy, a few minutes was enough. I prefer the smell of scorched politicians with my lunch. I suspect the OBE is in the bag.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1 litre Tesco orange juice 65p to 93p overnight
  • hullight
    hullight Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco's 'Big Freeze' is pretty rubbish. They've got loads of >£1 frozen products, put them up by a couple of pence and then made a big point of how they are under a quid.

Fruit and veg has gone up a lot as well!
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loco wrote: »
    3 Items bought today in York:-

Fairy non bio.

A couple of weeks ago this was £9.96 for 4.18 KG
    Today it was £11.49 for 3.36 KG
    An increase of 25%

Because of the change in weight, I think that may be an increase of over 43%!!!! (Anyone want to check?)
  • skintandsad
    skintandsad Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re: Fairy non bio
    Previous price based on £9.96 for 4.18kg = £2.38 per kilo

Now price based on £11.49 for 3.36kg = £3.42 per kilo.

Increase of nearly 44% :eek:
    I'm a nutter :j
  • dirtyflannel
    Options
    The supermarkets are kidding no-one if somethings on offer you can bet all the other stuff has gone up a few pence to compesate. I'm lucky I have about 8 different supermarkets within a 5 mile radius so can bob in and out of them all and pick out the cheap items but for anyone living out in the sticks or shopping on-line they just get ripped.
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    All the supermarkets are thieving grasping greedy gits....
    We try to buy as little as possible from them.....
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is some defence of food inflation the demise of the £ v € down 15% year on year and the smaller yields of crops wider markets opened up for farmers, The sad thing is that the Supermarkets still enjoy a 35-40% profit margin on most fresh produce and on the cheaper basic lines they run they still enjoy a 20% margin (that product would normally end up on the street markets). Sadly the Supermarkets are monsters we have created on the back of being purely lazy and wanting one stop shops ...so blame the majority in the 'glory glory days of plenty of money' and the 'sweeteners' local planning officers got to allow these massive cash cows to be built outside of the local communities :mad:
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure