[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] Marketing Company - YOU WILL NOT BE A MANAGER ONE DAY!!!

Options

Comments

• JONNYBOY
    Options
    Sadly, as a recent graduate, desperate for a job that would be able to do in house training I went for an interview with a company called JL Acquisitions Ltd, Manchester. (Other companies to look for at this address are Jake Bradford Marketing, G-Force and Primus all part of PERDM) The first round interview was only ten minutes long, I sat with a scruffy Irishman who appeared to be high at the time, he just talked about how his company was recession-proof. This was the first phase to make an interviewee feel as though this would be a "safe" job. I was shocked it was over so quickly, they werent interested in me, just how good the company was. This made me a little nervous about what it was all about and after a second round interview (expecting to be in an office) I was trailled around the streets of greater manchester trying to convince people to donate to charity.

Sadly, I felt at the time, after considerable brainwashing and flattery from the manager that I could do the job. I stuck it out for 5 months and in that time I was paid incorrectly, had to pay all travel costs to the places we had to do door to door sales (sometimes as far as 40 ,miles away there and back) hours were 10am-10/11pm and then I had a 30 minute journey home. Being 100 % commission based sometimes I would make money, other times I wouldnt but in the end enough was enough, I quit.

By feeding people's egos these "managing directors" use not only emotional blackmail but threats to try and make you stay- after all, who else has heard the phrase , "fine if you want to go and work for a basic wage and no prospects in a 9-5 job then do so, I have no time for people who are cancers, negging others out of a fantastic self-employed future, owning offices across the world". This works for a while but I am embarassed I ever did this job. I have had my car broken into on an estate in Salford and also been attacked by a guy weilding a basebal bat in a block of flats. This is not a safe job, especially if there are any girls going for these jobs, please beware. These managers do not care for your welfare. They dont care how hard you work as long as they get the money.

Please, if there is anyone who still works for these companies, please think about what I have said. First and foremost it is not worth your health and safety when you work 12 hour days for nothing. Now, sat at my desk doing a 9-5 job with a warm office and promotions available, I feel stupid for not quitting sooner!
  • sweet4melody
    sweet4melody Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2010 at 12:55AM
    Options
    i used to work with PrimusUK, to be honest I don't believe they are a scam.... I just think the manager in London is extremely lazy......... if it was a scam then why are people still there? why are new offices being opened? the reason why i left was because i was doing bad sales, and i felt like one of the leaders wasn't good at teaching the basics of marketing sales, my actual leader was actually very good, and another reason why i left was because i found the manager to be extremely lazy..... but you cannot blame the company itself... if you did do the job properly and didn't get paid speak to the manager but don't be obnoxious and rude as most of you are here... everyone has their own duty to speak to their manager about money payment, which i most assume most of you don't.....

as far as i am concerned door to door sales are not illegal here in the UK... but the pyramid scheme is... if their job is based on the pyramid scheme, then you should address that to them and find a solution, to how they can overcome that, and i personally think they should open a new big office and scrap the pyramid scheme and open an office for delivery or creating new brands...

I worked there for four weeks.... did I like it? yes... because it gave me oppertunities to different sales, and the people were fun and friendly...and i learnt a lot there

the only thing that annoyed me was the manager being lazy... but he was also nice, and i kinda got !!!!ed of which i shouldn't have with one of the leaders, who constantly kept on telling me "that doesn't matter, you don't need to know that" and when i went to the other leader, and he quized me....i felt stupid!

before you guys write here do your research....

and instead of complaining about people with "non qualifications" or "no experience" are being offfered jobs.... why don't you put yourself in their shoes to find out why that is?..... helllll some people get badly bullied at school just for wanting to do well, sometimes teachers ignore them! then you have previous illnesses, and so on and on... these people just want to do something better in their life...unlike you guys.... if i had a office and prostitute came and applied for a job i would take them in....why?.... because i can see that they want to do something more useful and change for the better...
  • Emma24Cooper
    Options
    I recently applied for an events marketing position.. i've been offered a second round interview for today (monday) and after looking through these forums i'm now not so sure. I haven't applied for anything to do with door to door sales and i was wondering if people only had bad experiences with this aspect of the business or other job titles too. i'm going to go to the second interview to see what it's like but i must say i am going to proceed with caution! :D x
  • sweet4melody
    Options
    Corba is not a scam, I worked in Old street, those people who work for charities are NOT scams, because I've spoken to some of the workers and they all said they recieved thier money, .. you guys have it all confused with PRIMUS-UK, the manager called mike is dodgy! a lot of workers in primus told me they never got their money after four weeks, primus is not part of corba but part of perDM, corba is not really a scam, you gys just need to work harder and do more sales to get your money, the manager who works for Primus-UK in old street called Mike was extremely dodgy and weird when he spoke about the business. you guys are confusing Corba with PerDM, I think we should write a letter to Richard in Manchester addressing the problem...Richard owns PerDM and his office is in Manchester.
  • sweet4melody
    Options
    I don't even think PerDM is a scam either, but that manager in London is weird... i want to inform Richard about it...
  • lilsmiler89
    Options
    this is not good
  • jackson100
    Options
    Business Advertising Ltd based in Horton House, 6th Floor at Exchange Flags - SCAM, PYRAMID SELLING - STAY AWAY !!!
    WENT FOR AN INTERVIEW TODAY, TOTAL WASTE OF TIME, PREYING ON PEOPLE, THIS COMPANY NEED TO BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY, I WILL BE REPORTING THEM TO COMPANIES HOUSE, OFSTED AND TO TRADING STANDARDS, QUITE A FEW RECRUITMENT COMPANIES ARE ADVERTISING JOBS FOR THIS SO CALLED COWBOY OUTFIT, WHICH SHOCKS - REED BEING ONE OF THEM
  • I can't believe this group are still allowed to operate! I was stupid & gullible enough to do this for 10 months back in 2006, managed wind up debt ridden, borderline homeless & alienated pretty much all my friends and more importantly, my family too. Now when I have one knock on my door, rather than slam it in their face, I simply ask them to have a long look at the job & if it's everything they really expected. More often than not, they say they're nailed on to be an owner. I just ask them to pop round in their Ferrari when that day happens adding I doubt I'll ever see them again.

I would ALWAYS turn someone away if the company is related in anyway shape or form to the Cobra Group or whatever they're calling slave labour nowadays.........
  • Yeah this nonsense should be stopped IMMEDIATELY. As a recently completed post grad I also saw the appeal of a sales and marketing job and applied to PARAMOUNT FORCE in Manchester as it was advertised on REED which I thought was a sign of legitimacy. Then I got a call about 30 minutes later saying the managing director liked my CV, they would need to be a damn good speed reader to have received it through a 3rd party, gone through it and get someone else to contact me in that time. They sent a confirmation mail with NO info about the 'job' even what it was and arranged for an interview the next day...which is tomorrow afternoon. Suffice it to say I won't be going.
  • renegade83
    Options
    A lot of valid comments below similar to my experiences when I worked for Code Marketing in Liverpool for months, who go under a different name these days.

During that time I was at university and needed a summer job. I applied for a sales position at Code Marketing and the very next day was invited in for an interview. When I arrived in the building there was a number of people also there for an interview for the same position in what was clearly the latest mass recruitment from the company. The office also looked brand new and bare as if it hadn't been opened that long.

I had my interview and was given the job there and then which I found surprising but never really read anything into it. The MD Alex Pinker (there's a name to remember and to Google) informed me the role was commission based, something his company has consistently failed to mention in their misleading job advertisements. He also informed me that the company was rapidly expanding and that if I and other employees worked hard enough, we could be running our own office within a year, earning a six figure salary.

I got a good indication within a week that it was all too good to be true but kept my mouth shut and stayed over that summer to simply earn some money. During that time lots of people left and lots of people replaced those who knew it was a joke - an endless cycle of Pinker exploiting the workforce just like other companies under the same umbrella continue to do now.

I'll give you the run down on what was a typical day working for them and undoubtedly this is very similar to other scam companies involved in the same line of business -

8am sharp - You would have to be at the office. All employees gather into the same room and loud, upbeat music is played for about five minutes to get everyone into a positive mood and to block out any negativity. Then the MD would give feedback on people's performances and give news (many of it undoubtedly lies) on how the company is progressing including how other branches are doing around the company. After that the boss would assign people to wherever they were working that day.

8.45am -9am - Go to wherever you've been assigned for the day and paying out of your own pocket as well.

10am - Arrive at the field and start pitching. Have to meet daily target of ten sales otherwise you come under pressure from the MD after a while.

Late afternoon - Back at office. Brief paperwork to be completed before going home.

Interestingly Code Marketing, just like a lot of other companies, have changed their name repeatedly no doubt to avoid the attention of Trading Standards. Code Marketing now go by the name of Oratory Commerce and are based in Trident House, Dale Street, Liverpool. Pinker still runs the company.

Another very similar company to be aware of, as others have mentioned, is Business Advertising Limited run by Kevin O'Neill on the 3rd floor of the Cotton Exchange in Liverpool city centre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure