The cheapest Pay As You Go mobile tariff

Options

Comments

• dulcificum
    Options
    omega65 wrote: »
    Asda mobile does not support email reading via pop or push, that I am aware of, however at such low prices, I personally can live without access to my emails on my mobile.

Few points:

1. Can someone actually using ASDA mobile confirm whether or not POP is supported over data? I don't want to move my number over only to find the cheap data is useless. If you can't, is the data crippled in any other way? Can I browse any website? Can I use the Gmail app to check email instead? Can I use ssh? I don't see how a carrier could prevent you using data in certain ways...

2. Can someone using ASDA again confirm for sure whether credit ever expires.

3. Do they charge to port your ASDA number to another carrier?

Cheers,
  • dulcificum
    Options
    dulcificum wrote: »
    Few points:

1. Can someone actually using ASDA mobile confirm whether or not POP is supported over data? I don't want to move my number over only to find the cheap data is useless. If you can't, is the data crippled in any other way? Can I browse any website? Can I use the Gmail app to check email instead? Can I use ssh? I don't see how a carrier could prevent you using data in certain ways...

2. Can someone using ASDA again confirm for sure whether credit ever expires.

3. Do they charge to port your ASDA number to another carrier?

Cheers,

I emailed ASDA and got the following reply in a few hours:

1. Is the data service crippled in any way? No
    2. Can I send and receive email via POP3? Yes
    3. Can I browse any website? Yes, As long as your content control bar is
    removed (Over 18 sites)
    4. Can I use the Gmail app to check email instead? Yes
    5. Can I use ssh? Unkown
    6. Does credit ever expire? No We do require 1 chargeable outgoing call
    every 3 months

Hope this helps some people - seems that POP3 is fine and 20p/MB is the cheapest PAYG in the UK (minimum charge 1p though, I guess).
  • owenp
    owenp Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I changed to Asda 2 weeks ago.
    After a couple of days I got Emergency Calls only even though I had a full signal.
    I spoke to Asda and they said the local transmitter was down. Some hours later the usage returned.
    Today again with a full signal I got, No Access to Network.

Is anyone else having these problems?
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Any good, seems very competitive? Thanks
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a SIM card remarkably similar to other SIM cards. The rates are on the website.
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • rcandeias
    Options
    For the cheapest calls possible I always ring (fixed lines) landlines abroad or in this country using a land line myself and to attain cheapest calls possible I search the web for access number to be dialled prior to actual number for cheapest calls possible. As to mobile calls and texts I suggest that you look for the best pay as you go Sim which at the moment seems to be Asda the one to beat for mobile calls and texts in the UK.
    I normally call Portugal as my family lives there, my mum has cancer so I contact her often and up to now I had to pay 2p on the cheapest access number I could find, however I found cheaper now at Dial to Save also at Planet Numbers which cost only 1p per minute, doesn't seem like a massive save but it is as it halves the cost of my previous calls.
    So my advice is every time you call always check for the cheapest deal if calling abroad and for mobile and texts check for cheapest tariffs once every month or two months. Also you can keep and eye on Money Saving Expert which has lots of people contributing info that makes it always up to date and fresh indeed revenge on the retailer.
  • techtitch
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that the Tescos tariff, while being 20p a minute and 10p a text, has a bonus of 500 free texts or 150 free minutes if you top up by £15 in any month. I use my mobile so little that this would last me months so is cheaper than the Asda tariff.

They also have a 'value' tariff which is 15p/min 5p/text, the only drawback of which seems to be that you can't get web access. The free minutes/text still apply.

I can't see the catch - can anyone else?!

Here's the info: http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/shop/?page=tariffinfo

I found the catch: This offer is only temporary - it ends October 18th 08
  • techtitch
    Options
    Useful reply from Tescos - the free texts and minutes expire after 30 days. Asda is definitely cheaper for me so I've ordered one of their SIM cards.

I am sorry to inform you that the Value tariff is no longer a tariff which we offer. Customers who were originally on the Value tariff are able to remain on the tariff; however once they transfer tariff they will be unable to return to the Value tariff as it is no longer available. I can also confirm that customers on this tariff are unable to access the internet from their mobile and send or receive picture messages. They are also not eligible for the free 500 text messages, the 150 minutes or 5 favourite numbers.

On the Tesco Mobile Pay as you go tariff, after topping up with £15 you will receive 500 free text messages within 48 hours of your top up. These messages will then remain active on the account for 30 days from the date they became active. After this time any remaining messages will expire. Providing you have topped up with at least £15 within 30 of your last top up, your free text messages will automatically become active on your account when the old bundle expires. [ed: this free mins/txt offer expires 18th Oct 08]

The top up will not expire on the mobile. Providing you make at least 1 chargeable call within a 6month period, your SIM card and credit will remain active. If you do not make a chargeable call within a 6 month period, your SIM card will be disconnected and your mobile number and credit will be lost. Unfortunately when this happens it is not possible to reconnect the mobile number.

I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Alternatively you can call our dedicated customer service line on 0845 301 4455.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    techtitch wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that the Tescos tariff, while being 20p a minute and 10p a text, has a bonus of 500 free texts or 150 free minutes if you top up by £15 in any month. I use my mobile so little that this would last me months so is cheaper than the Asda tariff.

They also have a 'value' tariff which is 15p/min 5p/text, the only drawback of which seems to be that you can't get web access. The free minutes/text still apply.

I can't see the catch - can anyone else?!

Here's the info: http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/shop/?page=tariffinfo

I found the catch: This offer is only temporary - it ends October 18th 08

well if you use it that little how would you qualify for the £15 requirement :)

I spend about £2-3 a month on my mobile :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure