PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Wheat /gluten free bread recipe??

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi vivw,

Some of the hints and tips on this older thread might help you: Marmalade

Pink
  • katglasgow
    Options
    Where are you getting you MaMade from? I quite fancy trying it!
    I got a jam pan and accesories as a wedding gift and attempted 3 fruits marmalade last year but it came out more like tar (tasted great but very hard to get out of jar and onto knife and impossible to spread!).
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    I got it from sainsburys but I've also seen it in tescos
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    I make pumpkin marmalade with thinly chopped marmade and sugar. It tastes great and I can kid my self it is a bit healthier also a good way of using pumpkin up.

Still have lots left!!

Viks
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have never made marmalade before but my husband considers it to be a bit of a treat, so perhaps I should give this a try! I have made jam before but not marmalade - I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the recipe!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Does it matter if the skins are waxed? I've been wanting to make lemon curd and didn't know whether to or not as unwaxed lemons are expensive. I'd like to give this a try too.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Bunker
    Bunker Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    You can just pour boiling water over waxed lemons, then straight into cold to remove the wax layer. It is just put there to make them look shiny!

Another example of shops charging you more for stuff they HAVEN'T messed about with.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I only like the shreadless marmalade - can i make this without and would i have to soak the fruit for the 12 hours before if im only using the fruit and not the peel????
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Catowen try this easy recipe for Seville Orange Jelly - no peel;)

To make enough for about 8 jars you need
    12 Seville oranges
    4 pints of water
    About 4 lb of jam sugar ie sugar with pectin added.

Wash the oranges and chop them roughly into chunks.

Put the oranges and the water in a large casserole and cook in a low oven all day or simmer slowly on the hob till soft. I haven't tried it but I intend to do mine in the slow cooker this year.

Tip the cooked oranges and water into a jelly bag suspended over a bowl and leave overnight to drip.

Measure the resulting liquid. For every pint of juice add a lb of sugar in a large pan (preserving pan for preference).
    Bring to the boil and boil fast for 5 mins. Test for a set by spooning a bit onto a cold plate. If it wrinkles you have a set. If it isn't ready keep boiling and testing every 2 mins.

Pot into warm, sterilised jars. (Sterilise by washing in soapy water and drying in the oven at 100 degrees C).

You can halve the quantities ;)

This jelly is good with pork or duck. You can use it as a glaze on ham. It would also be ideal for painting on your Christmas cake prior to marzipanning.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and ideas! I'm off to find my preserving pan - I fear it's been buried in the larder for years! I used to make lbs of marmalade when my boys were small, but lately haven't remembered before the seville oranges disappeared from the shops! My DH will be pleased with me...
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills