We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• mrtickle
    mrtickle Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree. Sales tactics like that should be illegal.
  • loon_2
    loon_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    i got stopped again at Sainsburys, who attempted to tell me that they independently search through all the suppliers and find the cheapest. i explained to the cust that i knew for a fact that they only sell for scottish power. the agent argued the original point, until i told him that i actually worked for a specific indepent regulatory body, who deal specifically with energy supply, took his name and id number and closed down the stall.
    Beware the green?
  • funkmaster_2
    Options
    Isn't it a fact that Scottish Power are the cheapest though? They certainly were for my home and business bills.

I had problems with website that I have now sorted out.

Yes, sales people in the industry are commission-driven but I certainly don't think that Scottish Power are any worse than any other company. How can they be? The SP rep may well be working for another company next month, and was probably working for another company the month before such is the fast turnover of staff in the industry.

Fact is, SP are the cheapest for me. Capped prices until 2006 aswell.
  • moana
    moana Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Martin was saying on the radio today to sit tight for six weeks or until he let's people know that price rises have stabilised.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • Beckipeg
    Beckipeg Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    We've just been approached by a door to door salesperson offering 3 years capped, 1.368 gas, 5.04 electicity with 17% discount on gas and 15% on electricity if we pay by direct debit.
    It sounds tempting, but with all the previous posts I'm not at all sure about switching - I guess the market's going to be rather volatile at the moment.
    Any comments welcome.
    Beckipeg :)
  • mrtickle
    Options
    Did they give you a proper printed tariff leaflet to keep, think it over and compare with other companies, or was it all verbal figures or hand-scribbled notes? The latter is a classic trick to push you into making a decision on the spot.

I'd've said no on principle because it was door-to-door. But since you had a conversation with them and didn't slam the door: If, after checking the full tariffs against their competitors' tariffs (later this year when the dust has settled and prices have stopped moving) they are indeed the cheapest for your level of usage including standing charges, then by all means switch. Do it online and deny any commission to that salesscum who invaded your privacy.
  • t_i_g_e_rr
    Options
    mrtickle just became mr mean! I'm sure not all salesmen are salesscum. We had one who called on us and when we said who we were with (as a moneysaver this was naturally the cheapest for us, which wasn't them), he said, fair enough, I can't beat that, wished us a good day and walked away. I know there are some real bad sales people out there, but not all.

T_i_g_e_rr
  • mrtickle
    Options
    That's fair enough ;D Perhaps I was a little harsh, but then again the horror stories of elderly and vunerable people (who can't stand up to the determined salesman) being switched against their will really annoy me. There must be very few good guys out there.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think i am going to have to change from Scottish Power. I dont want to, i have ironed out every crease and persevered through every mistake of theirs at great cost of my own (through their incompetance i now owe over £400 on my electricity bill, even though i only came with them last November.

Since sorting out the mess, i have been paying £30 a month on my gas, and have recently increased it to £40 per month PLUS an extra £30 a month off the arrears. That doesnt include the gas, which i am in arrears of £60.

I have been putting my meter readings in every monday and up to now have been using £10 a week (which is disputable, i have no central heating, no immersion heaters. I have put my meter readings in today, and low and behold, in a week i have used £18 in electricity.

I have never had to pay bills anywhere near like this, in fact before i came to Scottish Power, i was paying in the region of £8 a week.
  • t_i_g_e_rr
    t_i_g_e_rr Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I understand mrtickle. I was once asked to provide my details at an airport so Barclaycard could just 'send me some information'. This information turned out to be an actual credit card >:( (should have known better). I just feel sorry for the (perhaps few) good sales people who get treated rough because of the bad sales people. Therefore, if salespeople are friendly with me I'm firm but friendly back. If they are pushy they get what they deserve, since they have probably have done the same to elderly people, etc, too.

T_i_g_e_rr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport