September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• Problem is-at some point it will count as you will be using it. What I would do in this circumstance is to split it over Sept,Oct,Nov Dec-unless you are going to count it all on Decembers? Trouble is-when we do this we forget and the money has gone-unaccounted for.;)

This is the problem that I have that keeps me out of doing GC properly. I do a big Costco shop about ever 8 to 10 weeks so I get one "big" month and then two or three where I'm not buying meat or fish....I think the answer is to record my Costco shops on a quarterly basis and then try to have a tot-up quarterly and split it over the other months and then use that as a guide...
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • I feel a bit stupid making this request, but everyone on here is very supportive and helpful so here goes: I have a bit of a phobia about freezing food and storing leftovers so would appreciate any advice that people can offer about tips they find useful. I'm so bad that I don't even like storing cheese after the packet's been opened as I worry about unseen mould and freezing batches of food I've never done because I just worry something will go wrong.

So here are some of the things I've been wondering about:

do I freeze food that I've cooked when its still hot?
    or do I wait till the food cools and then freeze?
    if I have to wait should the food go in the fridge while its cooling or is it OK to leave it out?
    what about cooking the food that you've frozen - what can you cook from frozen and what has to be defrosted?
    what types of food are good to freeze and what should you avoid?
    how do you store your leftovers and how long do you keep them for?

Sorry if this sounds like really basic stuff that I should already know and apologies if I have posted in the wrong place - this is my favourite and most useful forum so I'm hoping you'll all be kind to me in my useless state!

Thanks
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal £500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
  • Hi, All Going to declare my weekly total £64.30. My hubby has gone to get some bits and pieces as he wants a roast dinner, but he is paying, as if it was just me and the kids I would have just made do till shopping delivery tomorrow. Besides my DD was sent home friday from schol with chicken pox (she had them when she was 5 months, so not as severe this time). She has given them to me. I am 39 and declaring my first case of chicken pox:eek: . How embarressing, I will have to take DS3 to nursery and stay outside with DD, whilst nursery staff take him in and collect him:o ..

Can you call the Nursery before you get there and check? Chickenpox can cause miscarriage in the first trimester of pregnancy and breathing problems for newborns if mum gets in the final weeks. I was hospitalised when I caught it when pregnant with DD2. It went into my lungs and everywhere else you could imagine so I was unable to breathe and it was actually agonising. Turns out someone at school whose children would come and give my bump a cuddle when they saw me said, 'Yeah, we had it all just before you did, but because we only had a spot or two, just sent the kids in anyway. Does them good to catch it early.'
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's not as though I had deliberately avoided catching it until that point - DD1 had chickenpox when she was 3 but I just didn't catch it until my immune system was reduced due to pregnancy. Had that 'person' not been bringing her children into school, I probably wouldn't have been in hospital fighting for breath.

DD2's school also have had a couple of children with leukaemia and have sent notes home saying that, as childhood diseases can be fatal for people with reduced immunity, can we keep our kids off school if anyone in the house has an infectious condition?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • I feel a bit stupid making this request, but everyone on here is very supportive and helpful so here goes: I have a bit of a phobia about freezing food and storing leftovers so would appreciate any advice that people can offer about tips they find useful. I'm so bad that I don't even like storing cheese after the packet's been opened as I worry about unseen mould and freezing batches of food I've never done because I just worry something will go wrong.

Thanks
    So here are some of the things I've been wondering about:

do I freeze food that I've cooked when its still hot?
    No-it has to have gone cold

or do I wait till the food cools and then freeze?
    Yes

if I have to wait should the food go in the fridge while its cooling or is it OK to leave it out?
    No-it will warm up your fridge-leave it on your worktop on a trivet so that the cooler air gets underneath the trivet to cool it faster. Some things can be stood in a bowl of cold water to cool.

what about cooking the food that you've frozen - what can you cook from frozen and what has to be defrosted?
    Most meat and fish are best left to defrost naturally so if in doubt this is the best method. Things like bolgnese or chillis can be cooked from frozen but take them out and stir at regular intervals.
    Always recook-never just warm it up-that is the most important factor.

what types of food are good to freeze and what should you avoid?
    Well this is personal really-some people free sliced meats but I hate it-all watery and yuk I find.

how do you store your leftovers and how long do you keep them for?
    I use little plastic tubs or freezer bags. Sometimes I freeze in tubs then transfer to bags so Ive got my tubs back. My faveourite is baco tubits-altho more expensive they last a long long time. I choose these also because you can use them in the microwave too.

Sorry if this sounds like really basic stuff that I should already know and apologies if I have posted in the wrong place - this is my favourite and most useful forum so I'm hoping you'll all be kind to me in my useless state!

You are not useless-we all learn from others-and you only find out if you ask! Keep asking and one day it will be you who is giving the advice to someone else.

Good luck!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • After a massive Mr A shop this weeks spends has come to £110.81.

So the rest of the months packed lunches and Fruit/veg/bread spends will be well within budget.:D

Had lovely roast beef dinner last night and saved the onions and garlic from under joint and popped into the spag bol for tomorrow.

Sliced enough beef for another roast dinner or beef fajhitas.

Extra cauli cheese for tea for dd8 tonight.

Made steak and veg pie with a tin!!!!!!!! of steak lurking in OH cupboard added carrots,onion,tom sauce,gravy,courgettes and topped with cheesy mash.Serving it with carrot and broccoli.

Have 5 packed lunches to do tomorrow so have taken everyones order and need either fresh buns or fresh bread and fromage frais from aldi's this aft.

The spag bol was big enough for 5 ( added onions,courgette,carrot and lentils ) for tomorrows tea and another freezer portion for kids and a second one to add baked beans and chili too for my baked bean chili and rice.

Will update sig just now.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Sort of related to GC...
    I am so sneezingly itchy allergic to flock-lined rubber gloves & so far can only get suitable ones from Wilkos at a decent price. But yesterday I had an opportunity to go around an IKEA & they have unlined ones @ 49p a pair...so I bought 3 lots:o
    Only I could spend 2hrs+ stuck in traffic going, even longer coming home, & proclaim the beauty of a rubber glove!:rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Angelatgraceland thank you for your great reply, lots of excellent information for me to get started with.
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal £500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
  • Afternoon all
    What a horrible day! We were hoping to get into the new garden and dig out for the concrete path but just to wet. When totTesco on Friday and brough some bit mainly bread for pack lunches and ende up spending £9.97. I have updated my signature and hoping for a good week. Oh went blackberry picking Thursday evening and managed to collect around 1 Kilo of fruit and 5 mozzi bits. So yesterday i made some blackberry jam which is really yummy and tastes so much better when i only brough sugar (62p). Today a neigbour gave me some of her tomatoes which were going a bit so made a lovley tomato soup for OH lunch tomorrow again all free.
    Everybody back to school as of monday and all their scouts and cadet's are back in full swing so menu planning today ready for the week ahead.

CC
  • Mrs M, could you put me down for £150 for Sept please, thank you.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Angelatgraceland thank you for your great reply, lots of excellent information for me to get started with.

Lots of freezing info in post #4 here too, including a link to the very useful 'Freezer Quick Questions' thread
    ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills