PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Hi, just updated my total, spent £19 in Mr. M's yesterday, 2 large bottles of milk, hubby's pop for work, and I got him a treat of a piece of cooked pork belly which I had a good slice of too.
    A very small piece of beef, for today, as there'll be enough if I slice it thin for sarnies on Monday and hopefully if it doesn't shrink too much, dinner Monday night too.

The price of eggs is getting really stupid now isn't it, I think twice about buying them these days.

Freerange eggs were £2 for 15 in Asda I think on Friday.

All I'm planning on buying today is the Sunday papers, will be nice and cheap!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    I've not been keeping up with this thread but I'm doing OK getting back into this GC business. We started in the last week of August so I'm pleasantly surprised to be ahead of target.

Our boys started a new school this week and we've paid for the term's lunches up front, so that's going to make a difference - particularly as it sounds as though they are making the most of the wide and plentiful selection and eating for England! I've earned major mumsy points by baking Twinks's hobnobs and fairy cakes too.

I have got quite a shopping list together now though. I can't see delivery charges listed on Asda.co.uk ... does this mean that it's free now?

I'm about to ehck the depths of the freezer to see if there's anything that could pass for our traditional 'Sunday roast', whilst DH pops off to fetch a News of the World for the Tesco voucher. Every little helps!
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Asda still charge for delivery, prices here
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Cornishpixie_2
    Options
    Hi, All Going to declare my weekly total £64.30. My hubby has gone to get some bits and pieces as he wants a roast dinner, but he is paying, as if it was just me and the kids I would have just made do till shopping delivery tomorrow. Besides my DD was sent home friday from schol with chicken pox (she had them when she was 5 months, so not as severe this time). She has given them to me. I am 39 and declaring my first case of chicken pox:eek: . How embarressing, I will have to take DS3 to nursery and stay outside with DD, whilst nursery staff take him in and collect him:o ..
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can I have some culinary advice please? I found a stuffed marrow recipe in an old cookery book yesterday and have just made the stuffing (rice, mince, cheese, worcester sauce and egg) and used it to stuff my fairly small marrow. Only problem is that there's far too much stuffing. So, should I freeze it for another time? Or could I use it to stuff pancakes? I thought, make the pancakes and cool then fill and roll up and then serve with hm tomato sauce. Trouble is I am not sure if I can freeze them at this stage, or how long to heat them for if I don't freeze them - could I reheat in microwave? I would be making the sauce and pancakes and filling them this afternoon so we could have them tomorrow for dinner when I get in from work. I have never tried this before, so any advice from more experienced cooks welcome!

Thanks

Moniker
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi GUys,

Sorry if I missed any important messages but struggling to keep up with all the posts but will keep trying.... Have a freezer full and did a run on the butchers so dont need anything this week!!!!!

hope to keep within budget this week. Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Moniker

The stuffed pancakes sound great :T I would pour the tomato sauce over them and treat it like cannelloni -so I would either freeze at that stage (the sauce willl protect them)or whack in a medium oven for about 20- mins (just stick a knife in the middle for a few seconds then pull out n touch to make sure its hot in the middle ;) ) -you could also microwave them -but i think slow oven re-heating would be better
    hope that wafle helps :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    salster wrote: »
    Spent around £18 in Mr Ts yesterday and £50 + in Costco, but the Costco doesn't count as a lot of is is stuff toward the Christmas freezers and pressies.
    Problem is-at some point it will count as you will be using it. What I would do in this circumstance is to split it over Sept,Oct,Nov Dec-unless you are going to count it all on Decembers? Trouble is-when we do this we forget and the money has gone-unaccounted for.;)
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    scotrae wrote: »

I have got quite a shopping list together now though. I can't see delivery charges listed on Asda.co.uk ... does this mean that it's free now?

I'm about to ehck the depths of the freezer to see if there's anything that could pass for our traditional 'Sunday roast', whilst DH pops off to fetch a News of the World for the Tesco voucher. Every little helps!
    Asda charge-the prices show up when you book a delivery slot. Different prices for different days but cheaper than Tesco delivery. I always get free delivery with e vouchers. Look on the online discount vouchers thread for these. If you need one quick pm me as Ive found a couple but you should find them ok. You can "bank" the vouchers when you find them-just click on the tab called evouchers and add them. When you come to checkout you choose the voucher which is due to expire soonest. If you get an Asda credit card you get free delivery on orders of £99 and over and if you find some evouchers on here for spends of £50 and over you will never pay! Ive never paid!:money:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks Mrs M - I will do that. DH has been dispatched to buy some tinned tomatoes - I didn't have enough in to make a batch of sauce - so not a NSD for me unfortunately! BTW has anyone else noticed that when you click the thanks button it makes you jump back to the top of the page? Is it just me or is there a bug in the system?

I will let you know how the pancakes go.

Moniker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport