Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 80

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 114.7K views

Replies

• rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kprice580 wrote: »
    I have a question?
    We do our shopping online, we spend less that way (most of the time lol!) Well we had it delivered on 29/08 but it went out of our bank on 2/09? Daft question but do I include this in septembers bugdet?!?!

yes I definitely would count it as an August spend but its really up to you and what dates you run your GC from. Do whatever fits in best with your budget. I run my GC from 1st of each month and for me, it would be the same as writing a cheque, it might not clear for a few days but I've actually spent the money when I wrote the cheque out ;)
    kprice580 wrote: »
    HELP ME!

I've read all through this thread- What do you include in the grocery challenge? is it just food or is it every bit of spending?

Thank you
    Katy x

You can include whatever you like. I include all food/laundry/cleaning and toiletries. Some people also include pet food or other regular spends. You just need to be consistent each month so that you get a true picture of your spends/savings ;)

Edited to say - oops, you beat me to it, Nikki! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • LelcLelc Forumite
    558 posts
    Just got my groceries for the week from Lidls and came to £26.11. I'll need milk and bread sometime during the week, although I'm going to make my own bread rolls for work, but I don't expect to have to buy anything else. I've still got plenty in the freezer for meals and my dh is visiting my parents and will pick up veg from them as they've got an allotment.
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
    Debt free date - January 2012
    Mortgage free date - November 2013
    Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Just a quickie as I am only on to update sig with spends of £13.05 in the Coop and £17.19 in Tesco's (managed to use a COOP MOC £3 off £15 in each shop :)).
    For anyone who is near a Scottish Coop, they have :
    ** 2 x 1L cartons 5-Alive for £1.50 (well it actually charged me £1.09 x 2 minus £.0.78 so it seems to actually be £1.40).
    ** Muller Little Stars fromage frais/smooth yoghurts/jellies 6 pack for 82p
    ** Branston/Crosse and Blackwell Beans 3 for 2 (they cost 56p per tin in our Coop but I know Coop prices can vary across different Coop stores).
    ** Supernoodles still 25p
    ** Fruit Shoot (fresh juices) 4 for £1
    No doubt there are better offers elsewhere but this may be off use to someone who also does not have all the big stores near them.
    Have 3/4 big carton of cravendale, and bought another today, so likely only need milk later in the week.
    Take care everyone and good luck with your GC's this week.
    :wave: x OS
    (PS To the poster who asked- I include pretty much all our food, toiletries, cleaning, baby supplies etc but its up to you what you include, there are no hard and fast rules and its not a competition as we all have different circumstances at home. hth).
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Went to Somerfield earlier and just bought their special offers:
    400g 'BestOf' lean mince = £1.75 (so bought two)
    Bacon and cheese quiche (only £1.50)

Got 2 sirloin steaks in butchers and nearly chocked when he said £5.98... but it's a rare treat, and I think a great success, given that for the two of us we still only spend £120ish a month on food. It shows you don't have to do without and that if you plan, you can still have the odd nice treat.

Then in Superdrug I used my 10% off voucher (for answering an online questionnaire about my last shop) and got make-up bits - this isn't part of our grocery challenge of course but it made me happy as I am coming down with a cold!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • nicki_2nicki_2 Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent £4.56 in the Co-op yesterday for 2 blocks of cheese (cathedral city on 2 for £3) and 4pts milk :eek::eek: Thankfully I had £2 in vouchers so used them but I'm shocked at the amount it cost me.

I've started selling stuff on ebay to clear clutter (and my overdraft hopefully) so hoping that I can stick to £30 a week as a budget. I need to go and buy some more fresh fruit this week but I have loads of vouchers for Tesco so I think I might go up there with DD and get some exercise in and out the house to save putting the heating on;)

Currently 22.52/30 but anything I spend today/tomorrow will be for this weekend/next week so I'm not too worried ATM ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be OT but can someone help - I've deleted my sig as I wanted to change it and now I can't seem to get a new one to save at all (I've tried about 6 times)

any ideas?
  • Hello, this is my first grocery challenge and it seems to be going well for me so far - I've cut my normal grocery bill by almost 2 thirds just by meal planning! I've noticed I'm not throwing food away now either. One question though - if you just shop once a week, how do you stop yourself eating all the chocolate on day 1?:EasterBun

• Hi all!

My OH is really struggling with this 'No spend' thing...:rotfl: He keeps coming home with 'bargains' - only a pound or two in cost, but nevertheless I have to cross yet another day off.. Bless him, he is trying (very!) to stop spending, but last night he came home with my favourite crisps, reduced to less than half price and he was so pleased that he had bought me something I loved that I didn't have the heart to say I would have gone without!!

I hope you are all doing well with your personal challenges

Hugs to everyone who needs them - I haven't caught up on the thread but I promise I will soon.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Snow_white wrote: »
    . One question though - if you just shop once a week, how do you stop yourself eating all the chocolate on day 1?:EasterBun

Well done on such a great start honey and it IS very hard not to eat it all. Personally my downfall are crisps and I have to get my OH to hide them somewhere, so I only have access to a couple of packets on night one and after that have to ask him so I can eek them out! *laughs* Course it helps that he doesn't like crisps... not sure it would work if he ate them too!!

Hugs and well done again honey

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, £40 spent this morning but I did get a huge chicken from the butcher for £8. It looks really meaty so I'll see how many meals I can get from it. I plan using it for packed lunches as well. Got most of what we need in so will just pop out tomorrow for some bread to start the work sandwiches on Mon morning. There isn't any room in the freezer for bread. That's a good sign surely!
    Off to add to sig
    w