Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 79

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 114.7K views

Replies

• JulesJules Forumite
    299 posts
    Just been adding up my spends and it's scary. I have spent £122.81 :eek: already and it's only the 6th. I am going to have to cut back and definitely start menu planning again otherwise I'm not going to make it to the end of Sept on my £225 budget.

I have been baking to save money, but I think it may be a false economy as we keep eating it and then I make more!!! Choc Muffins are the favourite! Made 16 yesterday evening and there's only 10 left.
    Debt at highest May 04 - £65,639.22 - Started DMP with CCCS 1st June 04 & now self managed DMP
    Debt now 20th December 2015 £31677.13 Paid Off to date £33962.09 - just not going quickly enough!

Debt free date July 2024! I don't think so, it'll be going quicker than that!!!

• HERE AT LAST..

Have spent £95.00 on Mr A home delivery on the day we landed and just a few bits of fruit since.

It had rained constantly and we have eaten in every meal according to menu plan.

Going to a friends for lunch and have a beef joint,garlic potatoes and veg for tea.

Kids pack ups all organised for next week and OH packed lunch.I start my new medical centre nursing job all day M,T,W and at my own Nursery Th/Fr so planning is the key.

Looking at shopping bills not too scary yet and dd9 away for a fortnight in Greece from next week so we'll be down to family of 4 for a while.

Chicken Fajhita's tomorrow with wedges and salad.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    826 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. Just popped up to tesco express for a few bits while it wasn't raining. Spent £3.87 milk & veg.

Welcome back to England Annelouise plenty of rain here unfortunately.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    £23356.04£44348.32/[COLOR="Red£1985.16[/COLOR]Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning All

Its a lovely day today ,,,so far ...do hope the rain stays off
    not even thinking of going out today so it will probably be another NSD,,unless I start baking

Bu**** the rain has just started and its quite heavy,,so much for a dry day

well I willget off now
    see you soon
    KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• HI All
    Managed 3 NSD's this week. Spent £10.96 in Mr T's - fruit/veg and packup.
    Pickled first lot of beetroot and lifted onions for this weeks meals. The tomatoes that fell off in the rain are sat on the windowsill waiting to turn red.
    Nothing else needed now apart from milk, probably on Tuesday, so 3 NSD's already next week and pennies saved til then!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Really excited, and why, cos yesterday I managed to go into Asda and just come out with the bread, potatoes and pet food that I'd gone in there for! Also bought some bacon from friend who has cured their pigs - don't eat it myself but kids loved it, and it was so cheap compared to the shop quality bacon! Into town with dd2 this morn to get her friend a bday pressie, will be using my boots vouchers for that, so shouldn't cost any real money, but will be taking a detour via poundland for new brollies for the girls - not really part of my grocery budget but I am trying to stop spending everywhere!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG I'm back with my tail between my legs:(I'm skint as hell, and need to get myself sorted out, due to it being the start of term, and there being no supply work yet, so can I try for £120 from today, till the end of the month:o Then i'll start again on October, and try to be really good, as i've no choice really.
    Luckily my store cupboards and freezer are reasonably full, and i'm making loads of soips, stews and curries in the SC, so should be ok.At least I have the time now to cook, unlike in the Summer when I was working FT:D :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • HELP ME!

I've read all through this thread- What do you include in the grocery challenge? is it just food or is it every bit of spending?

Thank you
    Katy x
    If you dont ask you dont get to know....
    Sealed pot no277
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kprice580 wrote: »
    HELP ME!

I've read all through this thread- What do you include in the grocery challenge? is it just food or is it every bit of spending?

Thank you
    Katy x
    I include, food, cleaning stuff , toiletries and dog food, but everyone is different:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • kprice580 wrote: »
    HELP ME!

It's groceries so that could include anything that you buy with your grocery shopping. eg food, cleaning, household stuff, pet food, toiletries, nappies, etc. ;)

But you can choose what to include to suit you. I used to include takeaways too, as having them reduce what I had left for food shopping helped me cut down on having them too often. :D

You decide your month start and end dates, so you could start on the first of each month or you could go from payday to payday or weekly instead. as long as you stick to the same way each month to help you compare, then it really doesnt matter. Its up to you HTH :)

Good luck with your first month :beer:

Nikki x
    :A