PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I stop my neighbor from selling their house at a ridiculously low price?

Options

Comments

• Alfie1999
    Alfie1999 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    1/10

Must try harder.
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davidmanna wrote: »
    I have a neighbor who is currently selling their house however she has just accepted an offer 35% less than the market price of the house!!! unbelievable!!!

She sees nothing wrong with lowering the price of all the houses on the street!!!
    Funnily enough I don't see much wrong with it either. Bring it on!
    However I would like to sell but I'm not prepared to sell at the low prices estate agents are giving me considering what places were going for last year. I'm going to sit it out before selling early next year when prices are more realistic.

Is it wrong to put a fake offer in to stop the sale going through? In the short term it maybe wrong but once prices recover next year my neighbor will be thanking me from saving her from a very stupid mistake.
    Try a genuine bid and then sell to someone who will pay more. If you are right, you will make heaps of money. And if you buy hers now but
    wait until prices recover next year, you won't lose out. Nothing like putting your mouth where your money is.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    This is a joke...but there will be people out there thinking this how dare they lower the prices in our street...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    geoffky wrote: »
    This is a joke...but there will be people out there thinking this how dare they lower the prices in our street...

Yeah, this is an obvious troll, but I have heard several stories from friends of family about people who have had their property on the market for months with no interest, getting angry when a neighbour then puts their property on the market for £10-£20k less.
    poppy10
  • WasBlindButNowSee
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is an obvious troll, but I have heard several stories from friends of family about people who have had their property on the market for months with no interest, getting angry when a neighbour then puts their property on the market for £10-£20k less.

how dare they have the nerve to devalue the street like that, do you think the neighbours dont know their idealic street is the only one that will hold their value.

Just wait for them to be forced to sell and see how low they go and how the rest of the street feel about them!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    :rolleyes: I noticed my local shop had cut the price of a cardigan from £14.99 to £9.99. How DARE they lower the price of knitwear for everyone in my area! So even though I didn't want them, I posed as an OAP, bought every cardie in the shop and will keep them until the cold weather when woollens prices are sure to pick up again...
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you thought about you and you neighbours forming a human chain around said property? There is a little-known Royal law which states that if one person in the chain is pregnant,and another is wearing a Policemans helmet, and you walk in an anti- clockwise direction while chanting "I don't give a flying freehold",the "spell" will be broken,and by morning the price will have reverted to "normal". But then,what is normal in Tunbridge Wells?
  • ValuableYouth
    Options
    I loled. I really loled.
  • macaque_2
    macaque_2 Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    davidmanna wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a neighbor who is currently selling their house however she has just accepted an offer 35% less than the market price of the house!!! unbelievable!!!

She sees nothing wrong with lowering the price of all the houses on the street!!!

However I would like to sell but I'm not prepared to sell at the low prices estate agents are giving me considering what places were going for last year. I'm going to sit it out before selling early next year when prices are more realistic.

Is it wrong to put a fake offer in to stop the sale going through? In the short term it maybe wrong but once prices recover next year my neighbor will be thanking me from saving her from a very stupid mistake.

Also these are period 3 bed houses in Royal Tunbridge Wells in the catchment area for a good school so there is no way they have gone down in price. I understand that new build flats in places like Slough and Luton but they are a world away from my street,

Thanks

David

I must admit that this post has a strong whiff of troll.

If this is in fact a genuine post then you should buy house yourself and 'sell it for a fat profit next year'. As you have stated you are mainly concerned about her interests. When you sell the house you can reimburse her the difference and tell her to be more careful next time.
  • cells
    cells Posts: 5,246 Forumite
    Options
    troll

but just to add, a modest 3 bed house was NEVER worth £450k

the average wage is some £24k pa. assuming you dont spend anything it would take the average person over 25 years to save up for a modest 3 bed house. yeh right.

expect in 3 years time that house prices are generally 50% cheaper or a big mac meal is £10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure