Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Walkertalk wrote: »
    Just had a terrible experience with Goldcar .....

Why anyone uses Goldcar is beyond me?

When booking holidays almost everyone googles accommodation and checks reviews so they don't end up with a crep hotel. Ditto when buying a cooker, a washing machine or fridge; sometimes even a book...?

But somehow we don't all do it to see what reviews car-rental companies get?

Google Goldcar and there are almost half a million posts; tens of thousands on Tripadvisor alone. Almost all damning...

so much so that Goldcar seem to have a customer service woman dedicated to rebuttals on Tripadvisor- but she can't keep up!

464,000 angry punters can't be wrong?

Whereas I have a favourite broker who's never let me down, ripped me off or scammed me in 50+ rentals in Spain and Italy....

And for a sweet word I'll tell you!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Why anyone uses Goldcar is beyond me?

When booking holidays almost everyone googles accommodation and checks reviews so they don't end up with a crep hotel. Ditto when buying a cooker, a washing machine or fridge; sometimes even a book...?

But somehow we don't all do it to see what reviews car-rental companies get?

Google Goldcar and there are almost half a million posts; tens of thousands on Tripadvisor alone. Almost all damning...

so much so that Goldcar seem to have a customer service woman dedicated to rebuttals on Tripadvisor- but she can't keep up!

464,000 angry punters can't be wrong?

Whereas I have a favourite broker who's never let me down, ripped me off or scammed me in 50+ rentals in Spain and Italy....

And for a sweet word I'll tell you!

Who needs a broker when you can often book direct for less with the help or a discount code and Quidco?
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who needs a broker when you can often book direct for less with the help or a discount code and Quidco?

With AVIS/Budget? That's who I usually get via my broker; a UK based provider so if you don't like interwebby-only dealing you can speak to nice real people in Manchester; immaculate new cars; often an upgrade (despite always booking the cheapest; even got a BMW 3-series once), no imaginary scratches/ tyre damage/ glazing chips excess scams, no OTT fuelling charges (usually Full-Full) and no pressure to buy their overpriced add on insurance...

And a clue- google carhire3000

but hey- it's a free country!
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    With AVIS/Budget? That's who I usually get via my broker; a UK based provider so if you don't like interwebby-only dealing you can speak to nice real people in Manchester; immaculate new cars; often an upgrade (despite always booking the cheapest; even got a BMW 3-series once), no imaginary scratches/ tyre damage/ glazing chips excess scams, no OTT fuelling charges (usually Full-Full) and no pressure to buy their overpriced add on insurance...

And a clue- google carhire3000

but hey- it's a free country!

Why did I know that you were going to spam us with carhire3000/rentalcars once again?

Yes...AVIS/ Hertz etc
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    I did a comparison with Hertz, avoiding all the dodgy rentals offered by the broker, including Goldcar

Malaga airport from the 9th of September for one week

Your recommendation:
    Dummy.jpg

Direct with Hertz:

Dummy2.jpg

So perhaps time for you to stop SPAMMING the board.
  • Chef1980uk
    Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, looking to hire a car in Dublin and drive up into Northern Ireland. How much extra would I be looking at to do this and can I organise it at the desk as I can't see anywhere to add it when looking online to book.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 10 July 2016 at 8:41AM
    Options
    Last year Boston 10 days Nov, booked Alamo through Auto Europe that had zero excess and cover for tyres/windows etc and was happy with the £180 and the Alamo service at Boston..

This year for Aug most comparison sites seem to be in the £330+range for 14 days.

Holiday extras seem to have cheaper rates for Alamo even with their £20 zero excess/SLI policy.

Been happy with them for hotel/parking deals but never used for car hire.

Will search for reviews but any first hand experience would be useful.

edit: scrub Holiday extras being cheaper.

Just rechecked and it looks like the dates got reset so the quote from holiday extras was for the wrong period, nowthey are coming out higher.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chef1980uk wrote: »
    Hi all, looking to hire a car in Dublin and drive up into Northern Ireland. How much extra would I be looking at to do this and can I organise it at the desk as I can't see anywhere to add it when looking online to book.
    If's an open border (for now) so there's probably no need to 'organise' anything.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • hander
    hander Posts: 201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Renting in USA late august. Best prices coming with AutoEurope who claim ZERO excess (I always took out car hire insurance in the past).

Is this too good to be true?
    Any experiences anyone?
    Grateful for help!
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hander wrote: »
    Renting in USA late august. Best prices coming with AutoEurope who claim ZERO excess (I always took out car hire insurance in the past).

Is this too good to be true?
    Any experiences anyone?
    Grateful for help!

Please read this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=13274201&postcount=1

And note the use of the word specifically!

You may do better asking in an appropriate thread or posting one of your own?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback