Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• AlibLondon
    Options
    Hi, I want to hire a small car from Pisa airport for a few days in May. Trying to get the best possible deal without being ripped off. Going to take out personal hire insurance (prepared that I will have to hold a credit card against the car) but any more tips on companies that won't rip us off at the last minute? Are the Gold Car and Inter Rent prices I see on comparison sites too good to be true? I have never hired a car and not been faced with extra charges at collection so any tips welcome!
  • deece
    Options
    rented a car from atlas choice in sydney returning it at the end of jan...there was a small scratch low down on front bumper( dont know how or when!) and i agreed to pay AU$1000 ( of the $3000 excess) being told that I would be refunded howevermuch the "repair" cost less than that,,...I have DCW insurance so wasnt too bothered as I knew i'd be getting it back1!....but....I've been trying for the last 10 weeks to get the bill for the repairs...I've emailed and emailed but....i'm simply getting replies saying that it was being investigated.....anyone else had this experience and whats the best way forward??
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,
    I hired a car (first time)in Majorca through "RECORD GO" for 5 days, very recently.I took excess cover insurance from UK,through QUESTOR, as advised by MSE. It costed just £16.I was aware that,rental company would hold back the excess in my CC

The rental company said, the QUESTOR insurance which I took from UK, would cover only the excess if I met with a collision and produce a police report, but wouldn't honour the excess, if some one vandalised/scraped the car and I don't have the offender's details.

QUESTOR insurance has explicitly said that"you need not take any other excess cover from rental company".So I refused their £86 cover for this.

Fortunately, nothing untoward happened to car or me.

Could anyone shed some light on this?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Questor is more believable.

But why even mention your separate cover, you don't need to give a reason for declining the rental firm's extra excess cover. Doing so only gives them a chance to try and confuse you into thinking you need it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks eDicky.
    However, do u know anything about other concerns raised in the forum?
    1) cover for scratches and dents on main body and doors
    2) roadside cover
    3) vandalism cover
    Regards,
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deece wrote: »
    rented a car from atlas choice in sydney returning it at the end of jan...there was a small scratch low down on front bumper( dont know how or when!) and i agreed to pay AU$1000 ( of the $3000 excess) being told that I would be refunded howevermuch the "repair" cost less than that,,...I have DCW insurance so wasnt too bothered as I knew i'd be getting it back1!....but....I've been trying for the last 10 weeks to get the bill for the repairs...I've emailed and emailed but....i'm simply getting replies saying that it was being investigated.....anyone else had this experience and whats the best way forward??
    I think you need to make the claim without further delay for the full amount, AU$1000. The hire firm are very unlikely to give you any refund, and had no real intention of doing so, any more than they have any intention of repairing that conveniently hard to notice scratch...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Up to this year I have recommended reading this sites Martins tips on car hire and using the comparison sites. This year in my case I'm not sure as presently trying to book this years car hire but these 4 comparison sites all the results there in are the same and double what I paid last year. Can not understand why the prices are double suspect some price fixing going on some how. At prices quoted I would save money by using taxis even more buses, so certainly not booking early as Martin suggests.
  • sebbie01
    sebbie01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    :beer:Any suggestions?
    I'm trying to book car hire in Spain, but don't have a credit card. Will the companies accept a credit card from another family member (non-driver)?.
  • Smiffy121
    Options
    Hi. I believe there are some suppliers who will let you use another persons credit card. It will cost you an extra fee (of course). A friend of mine managed this last year. I think he booked through Carjet.com
  • Bendy175
    Options
    Hi, firstly my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post however I'm a newbie!
    Has anyone come across a new legislation introduced which prevents EU residents driving a hire car across to France if vehicle is hired & returned on Swiss side of Geneva Airport ? Having read some of the earlier posts on here I booked from Swiss side so as to ensure the car had window sticker / vignette for toll roads. Now being told I can't take car out of Switzerland as it's illegal due to new legislation introduced May 1st 2016 !? ?
    Original booking made May 5th via rentalcars.com £215 for 7 days Swiss - Swiss. Quote today for smaller car, France - France £363 !!
    Weird thing is I can still book online with AVIS directly to collect Swiss side and return French side with a one way penalty however having telephoned them to check, they say this is not possible due to the new law
    Any ideas ??
    Thank you very much
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport