Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• drew12a
    drew12a Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    How much is breakdown cover when hiring a car?

Martin says on the website that the car hire company could decline breakdown cover should their excess insurance not being purchased.

What happens then about breakdown cover if I buy my own excess insurance?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A personal view here Drew, when I go on holiday I want to enjoy myself. I don't want to worry about how much the car hire company is going to reserve on my credit card or what happens if it breaks down. In fact I often go to remote parts & the biggest problem if it breaks down is getting somewhere that has cell phone coverage to call for help. Sorry, I digressed. I take out Alamo's all inclusive package, usually Gold but they do others from time to time. It gets me all the insurance I need, including full CDW & breakdown cover, it doesn't matter if it goes back scratched. The wife can drive, I get a full tank of petrol, as I said it's all inclusive. In Orlando you go to the desk, do the paperwork, go to the car park & choose a car you like the look of & you're off. It's easy, it's simple.

I've no doubt there are ways to save some money but I've been doing it this way since Alamo was a baby & it's served me well.

By the way, if you take their all inclusive deal they will still try to sell you an upgrade & "roadside assistance" at the desk. The upgrade will not be a bargain & you only need "roadside assistance" if you are in the habit of running out of fuel or locking your keys in the car. Having said that, the people at the desk are usually fine, I went there once & the computer said I had to pay another $12. I told the girl not to worry about it but she wouldn't let it go. Eventually she found that it was because I had told them I was in a frequent flyer programme, she deleted that & all was fine.

Have a good time, it's a great place.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm looking to hire a car big enough for 4 adults from the 28th June to 4th July from Malaga Airport.

All the major chains seem to want ~£220+ but lots of other firms are asking for ~£20 for a Seat Leon or equivalent; I appreciate they milk the fuel policy, but even Full/Full is £53. I have an Amex Platinum card so don't car about excess, CDWs etc. Given all that is it really possible for Goldcar or similar not to come out cheaper?
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • neilm22
    neilm22 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone know if all the car hire firms have such a large one-way excess? I found a suitable 5 day rental through Alamo in April for less than £60 but the one-way fee is 70 Euro! This is pick up in Seville and drop off in Malaga.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • ASSJ
    ASSJ Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    N1AK wrote: »
    I'm looking to hire a car big enough for 4 adults from the 28th June to 4th July from Malaga Airport.

All the major chains seem to want ~£220+ but lots of other firms are asking for ~£20 for a Seat Leon or equivalent; I appreciate they milk the fuel policy, but even Full/Full is £53. I have an Amex Platinum card so don't car about excess, CDWs etc. Given all that is it really possible for Goldcar or similar not to come out cheaper?
    I'd use Centauro, full-fill. I used them in alicante 3 times a year for many years and no problems [hassle]
  • jalow
    jalow Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone know what a suitable Supplimentary Liability Insurance amount is for hiring a car in Asia?

The company offers around £18,000. Is this enough?
  • Rhea_Helen
    Options
    I’m wondering whether anyone has found excess insurance which covers excess reimbursement for car bodywork? Most of the ones I’ve found cover roof of the vehicle, windows, windscreen, sunroof, undercarriage and tyres which then leaves the rest of the body vulnerable.

I mainly want to take out the excess cover as I’ve been reading so many horror stories about people getting ripped off for tiny scratches and being left with a bill for hundreds of pounds and perhaps that’s why excess insurance doesn’t cover the general car body, but this seems ridiculous.

If you’ve managed to find a policy that does cover everything (or you have any recommendations on standard rental companies which don’t take the mickey) then I’d be pleased to hear them!
  • rogertb
    rogertb Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    I've used "Insurance for car hire" - not sure if it's what you need, have heard good things and the one time I was worried they responded well on the telephone - (I didn't have to make a claim as the rental firm dropped the charge) ...
  • Rhea_Helen
    Options
    Thanks for replying - I actually did look into these guys and their wording is similar;
    Covers damage to the windows, undercarriage, roof, tyres and headlights not otherwise covered by damage waivers from car hire companies

so it seems as though they don't cover bodywork either? It might be worth giving them a call to confirm however
  • rogertb
    rogertb Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure they cover - almost - anything but, yes, a call would be a good idea. I found them very approachable ....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback