Comments

• hander
    hander Posts: 201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Please read this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=13274201&postcount=1

And note the use of the word specifically!

You may do better asking in an appropriate thread or posting one of your own?

What about my question is irrelevant to this thread?
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have had a browse over the tips for cheap hire on the website. As we haven't definitely decided we want to hire a car I don't know what research I should do before our holiday to zante. I presumed that we would decide when we get there if we want to visit the island and see what deals are available. Not sure what days or for how long.

So

Apart from taking paper and card licence and obtaining delay code, what else should we do to prepare.

Thank you
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I cannot find anything on the Enterprise website regarding pick up a car after their closing hours.
    Does anybody know if this service is available in Kent, and the extra cost?
    Many thanks
  • roogy
    Options
    Beware - after hiring 2 cars through this company we have found that the final price charged in local currency is much higher than that quoted in sterling when we first got a quote via their website. I have tried several times to get them to confirm what the original sterling quote was but they just keep fobbing me off. Make sure you screen shot any quote before clicking through and ordering.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    roogy wrote: »
    Beware - after hiring 2 cars through this company we have found that the final price charged in local currency is much higher than that quoted in sterling when we first got a quote via their website. I have tried several times to get them to confirm what the original sterling quote was but they just keep fobbing me off. Make sure you screen shot any quote before clicking through and ordering.

I'm sure that you were advised that the final amount was to be paid in US$. If you wanted to avoid currency fluctuation, you should have chosen a Prepaid option.
    Your fault it, appears..
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice on car hire excess. I need to hire a car in Cairns, Australia, from 20/10/2016 - 01/11/2016. Using the comparison sites I get quotes starting at about £200.

However, they all seem to have an excess of about 6000 AUD which they need to reserve on a single credit card in my name. I don't have enough credit on one card and they won't split it over two or take me partner's as he is not the driver, or take a cash deposit etc.

Is there any way round this, as buying their own insurance to avoid the deposit seems to at least double the hire cost. Also the comparison sites don't seem to compare inclusive insurance rates, so it's hard to find the best deals.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    ed110220 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice on car hire excess. I need to hire a car in Cairns, Australia, from 20/10/2016 - 01/11/2016. Using the comparison sites I get quotes starting at about £200.

However, they all seem to have an excess of about 6000 AUD which they need to reserve on a single credit card in my name. I don't have enough credit on one card and they won't split it over two or take me partner's as he is not the driver, or take a cash deposit etc.

Is there any way round this, as buying their own insurance to avoid the deposit seems to at least double the hire cost. Also the comparison sites don't seem to compare inclusive insurance rates, so it's hard to find the best deals.

If your partner's CC has an ample limit, get them to add you as an additional cardholder.
    Don't neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance.

On the other hand, I don't think that actually ringfence AU$6000 on your CC. Certainly AVIS do not.

Utilise Drive Now Australia to initiate a search. It will give you the supplier info that you need.
    Once you have completed the search, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
  • lightbody
    Options
    Using Martin's tips, I was confident of a good deal last week with our car hire. I'd arranged separate excess protection, and knew to ask for full-to-full on the fuel, and avoid daft extras like GPS.

All went smoothly until we went to the vehicle collection point. We'd booked a "Focus or Similar". Now to me, that means "or similar sized-vehicle". I'm also a car enthusiast, so I knew when they offered me a Seat Ibiza that was a Fiesta/Polo equivalent car. Plus we wouldn't fit all our stuff in it. They were trying to charge us extra for the size of car we'd booked. Our argument went on quite a while, in a heat, and was a rubbish way to start our holiday. I expected better from a name like Enterprise - be warned - and STAND YOUR GROUND!
  • davenoble37
    Options
    Going skiing mid December. Usually I'd get a transfer bus but chalet has changed swap over day to Friday and no operators transfer at reasonable price so thought I'd drive instead. Problem is I fly into geneva and resort is in France. New EU rules say EU citizen can't drive non EU registered vehicle into EU member states - so what do I do? Any advice on how to resolve and how to get a decent price as I'll be taking skis too? Thanks, Dave
  • Joy_kewley
    Options
    Hi
    Last year I had a hire car and damaged the sill on a kerb? I had taken out excess insurance so was covered for damage,no other party was involved and I heard no more about it I am now in the process of buying car and have gone on all the compare sites when asked by insurers had I ever had a claim made against me I have said yes.Will this put my insurance cover up even if it was a hire car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback