🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ex and would be ex-gamblers support thread

Options

Comments

• GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    You mean someone beat me to it??

Great news cantcope. Really pleased for you. :D
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks :) gives me yet another reason not to f*ck it up again :D over the moon :D
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • indierocker85
    indierocker85 Posts: 2,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cantcope wrote: »
    Thanks :) gives me yet another reason not to f*ck it up again :D over the moon :D

Congratulations hun, really pleased for you
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • cantcope
    Options
    How's everyone doing? All really exciting for me right now meaning no thoughts of gambling whatsoever!! :D
    We had a new lady come to our GA meeting last night who had lost everything online and while it's not nice to say she did me the world of good because she reminded me just how awful my life was when i was doing it. I NEVER want to go back there. While my life is not perfect, whose is?
    I have no debt, I have a wonderful man who loves me, a nice little flat of my own and a brilliant future ahread of me.

risk that for a bet? not on your nelly lol
  • riquelme
    riquelme Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    CC - thats great news, you're doing well and focussing on the right things. all ok here despite fall out with ex, ive got pictures of my 2 little smashers everywhere and thats what keeps me going

im looking forward to a week away with them, camping in holland and then a few days by myself in Berlin end of August, this wouldnt be possible if i was gambling

stay strong everyone, life is better without gambling
  • TheLostSheep
    TheLostSheep Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I'd update in here.

Not bet for over 2 weeks and not really had the urge to. Well I have but the things I fancied doing such as Open Golf lost. Not really been exploring all the Euro/World Football leagues I liked to do so cant say how that would have gone. My focus has been very much on this.

GF is back but still not sure what future holds there as it's the fact that it's such a high amount.

I've tried to get counselling but never got phoned back, probbaly need to sort that out as Id prefer 1-2-1 rather than GA. Still think that the route I want to have is a small interest at the weekends via shops and not online..but I will see.

I thought Id have a huge void without the gambling but I dont'
    £29,500+ of debt cleared Jul 2010 >> Dec 2011.....
    Now facing same again with £65,000 :mad:
  • cantcope
    Options
    Hi CG

well done on not betting for 2 weeks. Why do you still want to bet at the weekends? This opens you up to the risk of wanting to "win" back any money you lose.
    If you think one to one is for you then give it a try. Most people i know in GA that have tried this first agree that it did not help. At least in the meetings you are talking to people who know EXACTLY how you feel because they've been there, done that. A counsellor hasnt. However, i agree you need help so that's your choice.

What does your g/f think about you betting at the weekends? With the amount of debt you have i'm surprise you even consider this an option.
  • williamD1964
    Options
    Today I celebtrate 150 days clean from gambling.

I am learning that I don't want it, don't need it and want to stay clean forever. I have a roof over my head, my family life has improved, I now swim and I am taking better care of my health. My bills are reducing and I feel better about myself than I have done for a long while. Cantcope, congrats and I am sure you will stay strong and clean. I am happy for you. Everyone, be good and be strong and be well.
  • cantcope
    Options
    Thats great news William. 150 days is a massive achievement. something i know i thought i'd never be able to achieve!
  • riquelme
    riquelme Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    well done william, dont be complacent, enjoy your gamble free life and remember what it was like when you were gambling and realise all the things that you are now doing that you wouldnt if you were still involved.

nearly 2 years for me (in a week or 2), no intention of gambling and doesnt even enter my mind these days but i am still wary of it. Taking the kids to Holland next week to a place called Duinrell where we are camping. theres a water park and theme park on site so its should be fun fun fun. 9 whole days with them, heaven.

here's hoping for some sunshine for everyone

stay strong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills