What to get someone going to Afghanistan?

Options

Comments

• ICATQ
    ICATQ Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    Was reading some American sites and they suggested beanie bears... second hand ones would be fine. This was for the soldiers to give the kids out there - and being as her main function is liaison out there I thought maybe it was worth copying that? What do you gyus think?

Whilst I was there pencils and pens and writing paper were highly sought after by the kids. There is a severe shortage of materials for schools. Toys are nice but....

No sweets either for the kids, they dont have colgate !!
  • Cath74_2
    Options
    Something I liked whilst I was out in the 'stan was Green Bean gift cards. It's one of the coffee shops on Kandahar and you can add money to the card via the internet which means your friend can either treat herself to an iced drink or a hot chocolate at night if she wishes. check out Green Beans Coffee US website for giftcards. Other than that, newspapers are always good as you don't have a clue what else is going on in the world!
  • leigh_an_tania
    Options
    To be honest if she is in the RAF and going to Khandahar then lots of money, swimming costume and sun bathing kit. Just completed third (army) tour to afghan and found that whenever i transited through Khandahar then thats the situation.......good accomodation, cookhouses, shops, pizza hut, ice cream bar, hockey rink, and decent gymnasiums......

Only jealous, did my tours in Musa qala, and then sangin twice......
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    LOL she's now moved on to FOB Dehli apparently... No idea where that is though lol
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ICATQ
    ICATQ Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    LOL she's now moved on to FOB Dehli apparently... No idea where that is though lol

It cant be that dangerous, Prince Harry was there :j
  • hamilet
    hamilet Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2009 at 10:04PM
    Options
    As a member of the Royal Naval Assosiation, we have been told through our monthly Circular, NOT
  • hamilet
    hamilet Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    As a member of the Royal Naval Association we have been told in our monthly Circular, NOT to send any more parcels to our troops in Afghanistan for at least 2 months.

Would the personel who have just come back, or are still deployed there agree, as our Members still would like to send 'goodies' out to OUR TROOPS?

Thanks for your response.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it might be because the parcel thingy is supposed to be for family and friends - too many donations from the public or non-relatives/friends could stop packages from people they actually know? Don't know - just guessing :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats the reason, the recomondation was not to send parcels tonly to a named individual (ie family/friends). People who wanted to show their support with a parcel to "a British Serviceman/woman" were to contact one of the service charities who would bulk up delivery to reduce the load on the logistics chain
  • funkster01_2
    Options
    Hi all, just thought i would post and tell you what i included in my first shoe box for my partner at Bastion! Let me know your thoughts and if there is anything i shouldnt really include!
    face wipes
    shower gel
    foot cream
    powder to flavor water sachets
    spiced tea sachets
    hot chocolate
    packs of olives
    black pepper
    hand fan and batteries
    chilli seed mix
    cashew nuts
    kendal mint cakes