Sock monkeys!

Options

Comments

• lesleyp1978
    lesleyp1978 Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 2:30PM
    Options
    surely if you can sell a pair of socks and stuffing that is to british standard then you wouldn't think that all this would be necessary. The only other thing I use is obviously the cotton and felt.

Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to read? Is it the 'Blue Guide'? I'm not very clued up on all this stuff so if anyone could help I would be very appreciative!

Nothing is ever straight forward is it!

Your new monkeys are gorge Shelley and I love the bride and groom ones that you do!

This is Petal my newest monkey:
    30520e2f.jpg

Lesley x
  • Shelley3774
    Shelley3774 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    oohhh I love Petal she is beautiful :)

I've got in touch with trading standards today and they are emailing me the info! will let you know what they say.
    Little Miss Chatterbox
    :p
    :smileyheaMum to Jake and Harri
    :smileyhea
  • tillyjane67
    Options
    Oooh was going to post a link and can't grr... it was by joanne dewberry anyway
  • capricorn155
    Options
    Sorry, being a bit thick today - who is Joanne Dewberry? Was it a link on this forum or a link to a website/info?

I have already paid for my two day event in June and also have two shops that are wanting to stock my monkeys so I really need to get this sorted and soon :eek:

I've definitely lost my enthusiasm tho!

Thanks!
  • tillyjane67
    Options
    Ooops... i should have added... joannedewberry.co.uk
    shes a business woman

I know how you feel... i've paid for 2 craft fairs next month too :-(
  • Shelley3774
    Shelley3774 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum.
    I'm in the same situation as you in that I too make sock monkeys to sell and have recently heard about the regulations, all of which seem far to complicated to adhere to. I read that each component would need a technical file stating that it passes fire regs etc. Plus all materials would need fire safety certificates from the manufacturers - this is an impossibility as like you I buy my socks from many different shops and no doubt they buy them from different wholesalers who in turn buy them from different manufacturers and it's the manufacturers that hold the fire certificates - there's no way I can get hold of a copy of those!
    By stating that they are not suitable for anyone under 14, surely cuts down your customer base as all but one of my monkeys so far have been bought for children. Also the info I read states that if the product is appealing to kids then it still needs to comply - they seem to have you always!
    What are others doing regarding this - atm I've stopped selling as I'm terrified that a member or TS will be at an event, but I have loads of monkeys made as I'm doing a two day event in June and was making stock for that.
    What is the pack for £20 - any idea where I would get it from and what does it entail?
    Sock monkeys are the main part of my business and atm I am so despondent, that I feel like jacking it all in :-(

I think you should get in touch with your local TS officer - I have and mine couldn't be more helpful! They are there to help you not put you out of business thats what he told me.
    Little Miss Chatterbox
    :p
    :smileyheaMum to Jake and Harri
    :smileyhea
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 April 2012 at 1:46AM
    Options
    Well you've got me hooked. Wet weekend and I've made my first sock monkey and his name is Boris, [STRIKE]but try as I might I cannot get a picture to upload at all. Shame as I am
    rather proud of him and would love to share him with you. Hey ho.[/STRIKE]

Already got number two worked out in my head.

Clever me worked it out and here he is. Introducing BORIS.

2012-04-30002428.jpg
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Awww how sweet is Boris. Well done.
  • pennib
    Options
    Here are two of my latest makes. 2 cheeky chappies!
    th_DSCN0376.jpg
  • pennib
    Options
    Last of the sock monkeys I can see the floor now! These are made with kiddie socks.
    th_DSCN0424.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport