Sock monkeys!

Options

Comments

• lesleyp1978
    Options
    I could do with a stuffing helper Shelley!!;)

Love the 2 new monkeys! Pearl looks so lovely and soft!

I've got the same socks as Jolly Rodger too. I did Milo the stripy monkey out of the same pack!

I ordered some various colours of felt yesterday so looking forward to it coming and I can try some different things!!

How long does it take from start to finish for you to do a monkey now then Shelley?? I'm on about 4 hours now but I'm definately getting quicker.

Lesley x
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    I've finished 'Rosie' now and here she is! I'm quite happy with how she turned out using felt for the eyes.

432504c1.jpg

I think I definately like them better with the sock done upside down and the head rounded off. Makes them neater in the leg area too.
    Lesley x
  • Shelley3774
    Shelley3774 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    She is gorgeous Lesley :) I think the felt mask looks lovely x
    I round my heads off because I prefer the look too but I still stitch the crotch area.

I am sewing all day today making sock owls at the mo! It takes me about 2 hrs from start to finish for a monkey without any interruptions.
    Little Miss Chatterbox
    :p
    :smileyheaMum to Jake and Harri
    :smileyhea
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    can't wait to see your sock owls Shelley! I have a few other things that I wanna try out but I have loads of monkeys to make first!

I'm finding them easier to stuff when they're done this way too and they're a little quicker which is good.
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    Here is a piccie of the sock owls that I made up for the last craft fair haven't finished today's yet. I just made the pattern up and keep tweaking it as I go along:

th_SAM_2019.jpg
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    They are really good!!!

Who'd ever have thought you could have so much fun with a pair of socks!!!
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    well I have had quite a good weekend really! I think I have finally found my own style which I am sticking with.

So.....I gave Rosie a facelift and made 3 more monkeys all of which I love!!!

Rosies new face (and my style for all my monkeys)
    c4df2b31.jpg

and my 3 monkeys from this weekend who are called Hooty, Dotty and Sparkle:
    aec8de1b.jpg

Lesley x
  • dxm
    dxm Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I made my first sock monkey and I am quite pleased with it. The only problem is that the lovely pink stripey socks I used had a seam across the toe, which ended up across the forehead of my monkey. My little niece was delighted, but the monkey has been named Frankie on account of the Frankenstein seam. How do I disguise the seam - I tried adding a tuft of hair but the seam still shows.
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    Aww Lesley they are fabulous and totally unique to you which is brilliant :) I love their little smiles :) so cute :)

I've had a really busy weekend because I did another shopping evening on Sat again not a brilliant turn out even tho it was advertised everywhere even radio but sold loads of monkeys, owls and ragdolls so I was so chuffed! I have lots of orders to get through this week too so doesn't look I will get much time to relax!

Here is a piccie of my stall but its not brilliant because the light was shining in:

th_SAM_2235.jpg
    th_SAM_2233.jpg

And this is a special 18th Birthday monkey for my friends niece:

th_SAM_2228.jpg
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    dxm wrote: »
    I made my first sock monkey and I am quite pleased with it. The only problem is that the lovely pink stripey socks I used had a seam across the toe, which ended up across the forehead of my monkey. My little niece was delighted, but the monkey has been named Frankie on account of the Frankenstein seam. How do I disguise the seam - I tried adding a tuft of hair but the seam still shows.

Hi Dxm I'm not sure there is anything you can do about hiding the seam other than hair! Some socks are more subtle than others tho so may not be so visible! I sew my monkeys differently anyway because I didn't like the original sock monkey pattern and avoid using the toe for the top part of the head but there are lots of others who do it that way and they look great. I think it probably depends on the quality of the sock etc.
    Anyway are you addicted yet?? I made my 1st one for my brother as a joke gift and looking back it was terrible but he loves it!! He won't get rid of it and I am trying to persuade him to let me make him a new one lol!

Well the weather here is shocking today and we are in the middle of having our garden done. Operation dig commenced yesterday and my garden is now a complete mudbath!!! My dogs are dying to get out there so its a nightmare at the mo!! Will look lovely when its finished tho but doubt I will get that much done monkey wise compared to normal. Thought I would share a few piccies of the mess - completely non monkey related lol!
    th_SAM_2239.jpg
    Little Miss Chatterbox
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts