Sock monkeys!

Options

Comments

• lesleyp1978
    Options
    Thanks Shelley!! Miller is gorgeous!! I love catching up with your monkeys!!

I think giving them names gives them a little more character and identity! It's good to think of a name when they are finished and see what suits them!!

I took my machine back and got another (the same one) and it seems a lot better! I have about 20 monkeys stitched up which are waiting to me stuffed and sewn!

Have you got any tips on how to leave the cut between the legs to prevent laddering on the socks? I have had this problems a couple of times and I'm wondering if there is an easy way to prevent it??

Lesley x
  • mumof3plusoh
    Options
    Thanks so much Lesleyp1978 :) I love making them and get withdrawal symptoms when I don't! Work really gets in the way of my monkey making :rotfl: I wish I could win the lottery and give up work so I could make them all day long.
    I've been asked to do a charity event tonight to raise monies for a little boy who needs an operation in America. Its a ladies pamper evening with lots of homemade items so I'm really looking forward to it. I've never done it before so its a bit nervewracking!! Its taken 2 weeks of hard work tho and i don't know if i will have time to do another for a little while. I've even had to rope in hubby and my stepdad to make me a wooden tree display and cube unit.
    I did a mock up of my table in my dining room last night here is a piccie:
    SAM_2036.jpg
    Shelley absolutly love them all x
    [SIZE=2]SPC4 #1395 Aug 11 £135.75/£150
    SPC5 #1395 Shower fund used £13.60 31/7/12 Banked Farepack administrators cheque £301 19/10/12 £326.40 in the tin....TOTAL £641
    SPC6 #1395 Total £144.62
    SPC7 # 051 Banked so far £100 TOTAL £142[/SIZE]
    SPC8 #051 £46 :(SPC9 #51 £1091.34 :T:T
  • Shelley3774
    Shelley3774 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Aww thanks so much Mumof3plusoh :) I love making them :)

Lesley I think it depends on the quality of the sock. I find the cheaper thiner socks can ladder thankfully its only happened a couple of times and I have been lucky that I managed to stitch them up without seeing the ladder.
    Glad your machine is working now there will be no stopping you now :D
    Little Miss Chatterbox
    :p
    :smileyheaMum to Jake and Harri
    :smileyhea
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    Thanks Shelley about the laddering issue! Its a pain when you're stuffing and you can peek a ladder climbing! I was thinking of maybe trying to pop a little stitch in the edge to see if that prevents it happening. Like you said though it doesn't happen on all socks!

I hope you don't mind all the questions but how do you conceal your finishing knots when stitching on the limbs? I go through a stitch and then pull it as tight as I can as close to the body but I would love to 'hide' it. I have tried sinking the knot but it doesn't always work and when it does I still worry about it popping back through!

Lesley x
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    Thanks Shelley about the laddering issue! Its a pain when you're stuffing and you can peek a ladder climbing! I was thinking of maybe trying to pop a little stitch in the edge to see if that prevents it happening. Like you said though it doesn't happen on all socks!

I hope you don't mind all the questions but how do you conceal your finishing knots when stitching on the limbs? I go through a stitch and then pull it as tight as I can as close to the body but I would love to 'hide' it. I have tried sinking the knot but it doesn't always work and when it does I still worry about it popping back through!

Lesley x
    I go through the stitch several times and then pull it back into the body of the monkey if that makes sense!?! its surprising how robust they are that way. Good idea about the stitch didn't think of that!
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    I think I know what you mean Shelley, so you do a stitch but instead of pulling it tight, put your needle through the loop a few times and then pull it tight to make a know?? Thats what I do but how do you then go about getting it 'in' the body? Do you seperate the weave somewhat to push it through?
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    or do you mean you just stitch over the same stitch without making a knot several times and then pull your cotton through the monkey?

I have been dreaming of monkeys lately I have doing monkey stuff that often!! My technique is definately getting better already though!
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    or do you mean you just stitch over the same stitch without making a knot several times and then pull your cotton through the monkey?

I have been dreaming of monkeys lately I have doing monkey stuff that often!! My technique is definately getting better already though!
    Yep this is what I do - I am useless at explaining! My boys have lots of my monkeys and not one of the arms has ever come loose x
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • lesleyp1978
    Options
    Thats great Shelley!! I have a zebra to put together in the next couple of days so will try the stitching thing then!!!

Here is the gang that I have made this weekend! I'm really not sure on Monty (the checked one) Don't know why but I'm just not liking him! I love Milo (stripy boy) and you have already been introduced to Mavis (Zebra) and Gertie (the cow).

4585230b.jpg

Lesley x
  • Shelley3774
    edited 15 April 2012 at 9:43PM
    Options
    They are all fab :)
    I think with Monty its probably because he has a black mask I always feel the same about the ones i make when they have a black face.
    I am doing a shopping evening event on Sat so flat out making lots of monkeys got 14 here to take and plan to make 3 baby monkey key rings tomorrow. I have a busy week ahead :)
    I took a piccie in the week of some of the monkeys I'm taking with me here they are:
    th_SAM_2186.jpg
    Little Miss Chatterbox
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts