We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sock monkeys!

13567…409

Comments

  • shegha
    shegha Posts: 238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    He is fab! Love the socks! where did you get them?
    I got them 50p in the M&S sale


    Have a go they are easier than you think.
    But I would sew all parts before cutting next time.
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    shegha wrote: »
    I got them 50p in the M&S sale


    Have a go they are easier than you think.
    But I would sew all parts before cutting next time.

    It is my sock monkey on the first page in the blue and black stripes! Have to admit I couldn't do it by hand they are not as easy as I thought they would be. Haven't started the pink one yet as I have been busy making cards and I need to get some more stuffing!
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • shegha
    shegha Posts: 238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    It is my sock monkey on the first page in the blue and black stripes! Have to admit I couldn't do it by hand they are not as easy as I thought they would be. Haven't started the pink one yet as I have been busy making cards and I need to get some more stuffing!

    I used a old bed pillow for the stuffing. It may be cheaper to by a cheap bed pillow from the student range than buying stuffing
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Didn't think of that .. thanks. I paid £2 for a fairly big bag of the stuffing and didn't think that was a bad price but then I don't know how much it normally is from other places if you see what I mean.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    I'm going to have a go at one of these but goodness only knows what he/she will turn out like!

    Anyway, I was having a look at some sock monkey pictures, to inspire me, and came across these step by step instruction, complete with pictures of every stage:

    http://www.instructables.com/id/SFAAJH1FCAENKYK/

    Will let you know how I get on, with piccy unless the end result is really dire!!
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Mine is still in pieces in the drawer :rotfl: haven't had chance to finish it off or start the new one. Although I might fins some other socks that are not knee length and start again now I have had a bit of a practice run.

    Good luck bestpud!
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Mine is still in pieces in the drawer :rotfl: haven't had chance to finish it off or start the new one. Although I might fins some other socks that are not knee length and start again now I have had a bit of a practice run.

    Good luck bestpud!

    Thanks RL, I'm sure I'll need it!!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Ok, I have made a monkey, and she is not as bad as I thought!

    However, I have spent the last two hours trying to upload an image and I'm getting nowhere fast!

    I've looked at loads of instructions posted by users on here and I have to say, none of them seem to even be an option!

    I have the image in photobox but there is no way (that I can see) of generating an img code. How do you get one when there is no option? There is an html code and a direct link but that is it.

    I have enabled public sharing.

    I have tried right clicking and pasting the code from the properties box (as suggested by someone) but that doesn't work either.

    Sooo, then I thought I'd try imageshack and that looks much better as I can clearly see an option for getting an img code. However, I can't get the blimming image uploaded onto there at all - it says it is uploading it and then goes to an 'IS cannot display this webpage' page.

    Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!! Can someone please help, while I still have a little hair left?
  • helenhugs
    helenhugs Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    I've looked at sock monkeys so many time but today I feel really inspired. If I can get away with stuffing with all the odd socks we have then I might just make a start on 1 today.
    Would they make good presents for teachers for christmas? I was thinking about getting the children to help make 1 for each of theirs.
    Hugs
    Helen
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
    Good Enough Club member number 8
    :j £2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure
  • I love this idea, i came across it a while ago, and thought id never be able to do that! but you ladies have inspired me! I am deff going to try and make one of these for both my nephew and my niece's hampers!

    thanks everyone :D

    nutty xx
    2008 Wins: 2 x VIP tickets to Ministry Of Sound, Umbrella, Tea Towel, £50 Tesco Gift Card, Amplifier (worth over £1,100 alone).


    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You" (Dr Seuss)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.