Cheap Airport Parking: Luton Airport hints, tips and local parking

Options

Comments

• zidanee
    zidanee Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2011 at 10:15AM
    Options
    ok, looks like Parkaway is bookable only for a month+. maybe anyone knows how realistic it is just to turn up - will there be space? I realise people posted here did just turn up but that was quite a while ago and I travel in August which is high season.. Am I right to assume that I need to pre-pay a week upon arrival and then pay for an extra week once I return? I need to park for 2 weeks and other car parks want £130-£140 which is just too much..
  • chukkychukky
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as Ziddanee, travelling on 29th July for 8 days, flying out on a Friday night. We are driving up from London and have a little one so don't want to take a risk.
    Are we likely to find a space at this time?

I initially booked with a company called Dynamite Parking, a meet and greet service for £64 (£8/day) as I didnt want the hassle of getting on and off a transfer bus and carrying the luggage up and down. But got an email last sunday that they have ceased trading and I'm currently chasing PayPal ans Amex for a refund!

I've now received an email from Stress Free Parking, another meet and greet, not heard of them before:

They have given a 15% off code:
    LITTLE BIRD15

8 days comes to £69 which is pricey but may be worth the peace of mind
  • bransoj
    bransoj Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Travelling out of Luton Airport on Saturday 20th August on a flight at 6:35am and get back at 10:35am on Monday 29th. Struggling to find parking for under £100 currently and found this info about the Parkway car park but i'm struggling to work it out and need a bit of help.

Could someone tell me firstly if its possible to park in the station car park for that long and then also how i would go about sorting payment and a rough estimate of cost?

Thanks
    Jon
  • lja401
    Options
    We're going on 13th August and we are also looking for somewhere cheap to park. We were thinking about doing the parkway station but cannot book it online....do you just turn up on the day?
  • bransoj
    Options
    lja401 wrote: »
    We're going on 13th August and we are also looking for somewhere cheap to park. We were thinking about doing the parkway station but cannot book it online....do you just turn up on the day?

I did a bit of digging after my post and it appears you can buy prior to going but it's not guaranteed in any way so there is the chance you won't get in although highly unlikely and I don't think there is any saving. For my stay above it will cost £36.
  • lja401
    Options
    bransoj wrote: »
    I did a bit of digging after my post and it appears you can buy prior to going but it's not guaranteed in any way so there is the chance you won't get in although highly unlikely and I don't think there is any saving. For my stay above it will cost £36.

How do you go about booking it?

Thank you.
  • bransoj
    Options
    lja401 wrote: »
    How do you go about booking it?

Thank you.
    Something called RingGo on your mobile phone but not sure how it works!!
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2011 at 12:28PM
    Options
    RinGo lets you book parking in advance using your phone and a car park code. The details and various options are explained here and you can book under the 'Book now' option on the right hand side:

https://fcc.myringgo.co.uk/parkinglocator/2243

Or direct on the ringgo site:

http://www.myringgo.co.uk/parkinglocator/2243
  • Miami_Vice
    Options
    Hi

Reading recent posts it's unclear if you can just arrive and get a ticket or if you can pay for 10 days parking (1 wk + 3 days) rather than a whole month?

Any ideas anyone?

Going Sunday 2nd October, back 11th October on a Tue

6:40am flight! So intend to take the shuttle....

Thanks
  • bransoj
    Options
    Right...i used the place for a similar length of the time a couple of weeks ago. I phoned the helpline on the website and was told that after entering i would need to wait 10mins then place my ticket in the machine, pay for a weeks parking up front at £30 and then on my return put the ticket in the machine again and it would calculate that i needed to pay for the additional 3 days at £2 each as it was a Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday so £36 in total.

However what i actually had to do was nothing like this! On arriving i tried a few times with the ticket taken on entry but it kept saying it was invalid. Pressed a button to do with long term parking and it let me pay £30 for a week but gave me a second ticket. On my return i put that ticket back in the machine and it didnt do anything, tried the original ticket and that wanted me to pay £44!! Cancelled that and as it wasnt busy thought sod it and went back to the car to drive out as because it was a bank holiday the attendants car park next to the machine was shut. Got to the barrier put in the second ticket i got after paying £30 for a week and it let me out so somehow i saved myself £6 but not sure how!!

You should be fine if you do what i did as you will have the benefit of the attendant being present when you return to sort any issues. When you park up do the £30 for a weeks parking bit and get the second ticket and then when you come back put that one back in and see what happens. If it doesnt try to charge you any more then head to the barrier to get out and see what happens. Any issues just speak to the attendant who should be about by then.

Just to note yours will be more than £36 if you have to pay for the Monday and Tuesday as they are more expensive than weekends\bank holidays.

For anyone else reading i was impressed with the car park, looks good and secure and the shuttle service is really good. Just be aware that for early morning flights, we were on the first shuttle bus at 5am for a 6:35am flight the roads are really busy and there isnt a bus lane so give yourselves plenty of time. Talking to the conductor on the return bus the roads get busy with a combination of a lot of early flights leaving and folk arriving for work at the airport. We had hand luggage only for a RyanAir flight and already checked in online and even getting the first 5am shuttle bus by the time we'd got there, got through security where there were big queues we only had time to nip to the loo and 10mins in Duty Free before we had to walk down to the departure gate and get on the plane.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback