🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheap Airport Parking: Luton Airport hints, tips and local parking

Options

Comments

• trees72
    Options
    Hi, having to pick up from Luton Airport at 1.30 am having driven all the way from Swansea!! Any suggestions on somewhere I can park up and kip in the car for a couple of hours?? Do not want to pay ridiculous parking prices!!
  • stoem
    stoem Posts: 75 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just booked 8 days parking at Luton with Central Car Storage after reading about it here.
    Since we have to meet a 6am flight with 3 kids I opted for the meet and greet option which means we can drop the car off at the short stay car park right outside the Terminal, this will shave at least half an hour off in the morning compared to Airparks or similar (which I used at Birmingham and which was good but took some time).

The total price for 8 days including meet & greet was £55. It's £40 without meet & greet. Any of the major price comparison sites quote near to £100 for meet & greet.

I'll report back once we've returned, but speaking to the company on the phone they were polite and helpful, explained the procedure so I decided to book with them.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a free drop off/ pick area at luton airport parkway?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • londonsteve
    Options
    You can use the mid-term car park for up to 30 minutes for free. This is sufficient time to drop-off or pick-up passengers. From there they either wait for the transfer bus which might be up to 10 minutes, plus a 3 minute transfer time, else it's a 10 minute walk. Don't be tempted to drop people off at the car park entrance without going through the barriers, as you may be filmed doing say and sent a private parking fine from Apcoa. It's free to enter for 30 minutes so just go in and turn around in there.

Alternatively you could use the forecourt area of the Holiday Inn which is adjacent to the public highway, rather than the Mid-Term car park which opens off private land (hence why they can film and fine you for stopping outside). Your passengers would however need to walk to and from the Holiday Inn, which is about 10 minutes.

If you drive in to the terminal building, your only option is the drop-off zone for £2, otherwise you'll be filmed by Apcoa and sent another fine.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can use the mid-term car park for up to 30 minutes for free. This is sufficient time to drop-off or pick-up passengers. From there they either wait for the transfer bus which might be up to 10 minutes, plus a 3 minute transfer time, else it's a 10 minute walk. Don't be tempted to drop people off at the car park entrance without going through the barriers, as you may be filmed doing say and sent a private parking fine from Apcoa. It's free to enter for 30 minutes so just go in and turn around in there.

Alternatively you could use the forecourt area of the Holiday Inn which is adjacent to the public highway, rather than the Mid-Term car park which opens off private land (hence why they can film and fine you for stopping outside). Your passengers would however need to walk to and from the Holiday Inn, which is about 10 minutes.

If you drive in to the terminal building, your only option is the drop-off zone for £2, otherwise you'll be filmed by Apcoa and sent another fine.

It's not a fine. APCOA has no more power to issue fines than I do. It is merely a speculative invoice which can be ignored (or you can appeal it to PoPLA and win on the grounds that the charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss).

Luton Airport is subject to byelaws, which means that they can't try to hold the vehicle keeper liable for their speculative invoices, they can only try to pursue the driver. And since they haven't a clue who was driving, they are stuffed.

APCOA never pursues these fake fines beyond getting a toothless debt collector to send a few silly threatograms.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Advice2016
    Options
    Hi

I've posted elsewhere on the forum but wondered if someone might see the post better here - has anyone parked recently at Luton Parkway train station car park

I understand it's no longer owned by ACPOA and I can't find current parking rates for it online.

I need 10 days parking. With ACPOA you used to be able to buy a weekly ticket for around £35 - does anyone know the current rates and procedures please?

Many thanks
  • ref2468
    ref2468 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used Luton Parkway several times. Your correct that as of 16/10/2015 all Govia Thameslink car parks are managed by Vinci Park:
    gtrcarparks.com

I recall signs at the ticket machine say a weekly ticket is available but I don't recall the cost. During the week its £7.60 per day and £2.50 at weekends.

Return bus ticket to the airport can be bought from Thameslink website or paid for before boarding.
  • janehp
    janehp Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I will be looking to park at Luton Airport Parkway station carpark on a Tuesday morning about 9.30am. Does anyone know if there are still plenty of parking spaces at this time? I don't want to find I have to pay extortionate last minute airport parking fees if I find the carpark is full
    Thanks
  • GaborH
    GaborH Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi!

Let's actualize this thread!

On the following website I found the parking prices:
    thameslinkrailway.com/your-journey/car-parks/charges/
    Check under Thameslink route - peak charges for daily/weekly/seasonal prices. Off peak tariffs are listed on the top.

On this website below you can buy seasonal tickets
    gtrcarparks.com/consumer/find-and-book/carparks/lutonairportparkway

I will visit Luton airport parkway in the close future so will have some on-site experience as well!

:p
  • rahulroy
    Options
    May you know about best airport parking in halifex, toronto ? so it's easy get to low cost parking.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure