Cheap Airport Parking Discussion

Options

Comments

• doubt_2
    doubt_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 3 June 2013 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Picked up our family car from Pink Pig Parking near Luton Airport. The receptionist told us that the clutch was starting to slip, I could barely get the car out of the car park and there was a distinct burning smell. We returned to the reception area and was greeted by a gentleman who told us that he was only a driver, could not deal with the problem and that they were not responsible for mechanical failure. After a lengthy discussion, he gave us their insurance details, as I was leaving my wife then found out he was the Manging Director of the company. Ended up waiting for a recovery lorry to take us home as the clutch was completely ruined.

Anyone else had problems with these companies?

Looking to save some extra pounds on my holidays, I found this car parking (Pink Pig Parking).
    I was running late for my flight when I arrived to the car parking.
    First I got inside without meeting anybody. I suppose somebody opened the barrier for me.
    The car parking was narrow, and I saw plenty of cars double parked, and some of them triple parked.. due to space limitations.

They didn't tell me at any time they will hold my keys during the booking process. Not even in the confirmation email (I still keep it).
    However once I was there, they told me I had to give them my car keys, otherwise I couldn't park there. They asked me to leave the car double parked.
    Since I didn't like what I saw, I asked them to get a refund and they told me to ring the office.

I had to park in the airport long term, costing me much more than what I would have paid if booked online. I didn't need to leave my car keys there.

I sent them an email explaining what happened the following day, and they refused to refund the money, arguing it is a common practise to hold customers keys therefore it was my fault. Despite they don't say in their website anything about that. They have a valet service, which I didn't take.

As a result I had to pay more than double of what I would have paid if I would have gone for the airport long term since the begining.

I noticed a lack of professionality from beginning to end.
  • yorkermiles7570
    yorkermiles7570 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2013 at 9:00AM
    Options
    Depending on the compound and location most companies will need to hold onto the car keys to reshuffle the cars etc and also for safety reasons in case of fire.
    The fact of the matter though is that if the website did not tell you this in the terms and conditions,which is unlikely then you should be entitled to a refund.
    The devil is always in the detail but I always think that if the service was not provided then why should you pay for it.
    I don't believe it is ethical to charge in cases like this.
    If you are in the right and it is 100% in your favour then file a small claims online here.
    Good luck!
  • hernan
    Options
    hi flying from LEEDS BRADFORD on FRIDAY and forgot to book parking!
    any codes would be appreciated!??
  • TonyGH
    TonyGH Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I don't usually post on these forums but having read the bad comments about Holiday extras I thought I would in this case. Airport Parking is something I have to do regularly and I always used to use Holiday Extras, still do sometimes and always found them good. Not ever tried to claim their 'Find it cheaper, get it free' offer though.

I also use airportparking.co.uk who offer a few more options than Holiday extras. And have used parkonmydrive.com who offer parking on private driveways. Not sure about the security on private driveways so I only did this once. Very cheap though.

My local airport Gatwick has lots of nice guest houses near by, most of which offer airport parking if you stay a night. I do this a lot now as its very cheap and I get the benefit of being closer to the airport in the morning. The bigger hotels offer stay park and fly deals, but I fond the smaller guest houses much cheaper and the often have car parks that look more hidden and secure.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Another success :D

Saved about £70 as I was going to just park.

I won't get the refund until we get back (9 months hence) but with quidco I should be paid £10 to park for free:cool:

Strangely enough (not) the parking at the hotel is now more expensive than Holiday Extras for the same dates ;)

Update:
    Rang in the claim on Tuesday 15th-Got the money in the bank today. :cool:

:T:T

Have recently been using ParkatMyhouse-Some very cheap daily rates near LHR.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,992 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Purple parking, use code E236W for up to 25% off at airports.
  • shaynemawer
    Options
    is there any codes for gatwick flying on 30th december, looking at car park for 1 week with overnight stay night before (29th)

thank you
  • crypticc
    Options
    is there any codes for gatwick flying on 30th december, looking at car park for 1 week with overnight stay night before (29th)

thank you

Hi

You don't say north or south, but I find almost always the cheapest approach for GW official parking is to book direct and use one of the topcashback or quidco cashback services so I get the cash rather than holiday extras or bookings:

Historically I've found Topcashback the better both in rates and in payment speed so I've provided the links for that one.

1) Gatwick official parking (typically tracks at 50 to 80% discount in addition to the cashback);
    e.g. for the date you gave £104 becomes £50 with discount and becomes £45 with cashback.
    topcashback.co.uk/ref/crypticc/official-gatwick-airport-parking

Don't pick the valet parking at 2x or more the self-park. They nearly always offer the valet parking for £3 to £5 per *week* only if you want that. official links use on-airport parking if you do.

2) Premier Inn on airport room; pre-pay saver, e.g. for the date you gave £69 becomes £39 discounted and becomes £36 once cashback paid.
    topcashback.co.uk/ref/crypticc/premier_inn

That compares favourably with using the premier inn link and their one-stop-shop sleep-park-fly deal at £91 all in for the dates you mentioned; with cashback that would be £85 and also uses the official onsite car parks. Nothing against offsite; but I don't use them myself.

Upto you if you use the links above or jump to topcashback and then the relevant search for parking and/or the hotel yourself.

Regards
    Chris
  • Mrs_Bond
    Mrs_Bond Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have the link for the AA discounted airport parking please. Or any codes for Heathrow in March.:rotfl:
  • basilmalaise
    Options
    I use imember (Google them) to find discounted airport parking.Loads of organisations offer it, not just The AA.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback