PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Hi guys

After doing my freezer list I have a lump of chicken breasts whichwill have to be cooked at one time ,, I was thinking curry and pasta bake with chicken ,,are there any recipes for both,, then I will refill my freezer with chicken dinners,, just found my mushrooms ,,had forgotten to put them back in,, and so will just add to soup I have here,

thanks

KAAT xx

Hi KAAT I make chicken pasta bake using Campbells condensed chicken soup- very cheap in Home Bargains. First brown the chicken (or add to mushrooms mid way through frying). Cook pasta and add chopped carrots, broccoli and sweetcorn for the last few minutes- then drain. Add chicken and mushrooms to to pasta then add soup. You can bulk out the sauce by adding milk and cornflour or even a splash of water. Its really creamy and tasty.

Chicken Curry: I have big tub of Garam Masala spice from Kwik Save(now Somerfield). All you do is gently heat a chunk of butter ( I cut about a cm off block) with a tablespoon of GM spice, a teaspoon of chopped chilli, teaspoon of garlic, half a tube of tomato puree and a finely chopped onion. Stir the mixture gently on medium heat until it browns/ turns darker colour. Then add chopped chicken (recipe based on 350g) and chunkier chopped onions and stir together until chicken takes on colour and is browned- don't worry if onions aren't done yet. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some chopped peppers and carrots and either 250g of natural yogurt or a tin of coconut milk. Leave on a low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Serve with rice and/or naan bread.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    can i please ask where you get your paper sacks for storing from??? we have had no luck getting any so far and have already dug up two full rows from allotment with another two rows yet to come.

You could try a garden centre for hessian sacks - we mentioned to the girl at the check out of one near us that we needed some and she found us about 10 for free.

It's always worth asking as at the moment they have flower bulbs in them in bulk.
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spending to report:
    £4.75 in Home Bargains: toiletries and sellotape.
    £5.57 in Cooltrader: bread, milk, bacon, ham and yogurt
    £18.36 in Aldi- didn't really need anything but had friends visiting so bought munchies etc- and visiting brother abroad next week so bought him some teabags and sweets.
    Well done everyone- love reading your posts.:p
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just catching up on some posts whilst i wait for the iced - bun - thingies to rise....calling them that, cos i've adapted it a little bit ;)

i did the same recipe that we're all using for the iced fingers but instead of making them into 'finger' shapes, i rolled the dough flat, to about 12" x 12" , brushed on some melted butter/marg, sprinkled about 2tsp sugar all over, then sprinkled quite a bit of cinnamon all over (i like cinnamon!), then spread a load of raisins and dried cranberries all over it, rolled it up into a sausage shape, then cut into ring-slices about 1" thick.

put them on a greased baking tray, flat side down, and have left 'em to rise, then i'll bake them at 180 for about 10-15mins, then put icing on the tops....yummy!! if i can get DD18 to show me how to put a photo on here, i'll post one if they're successful!!! can't even get the hang of using a digital camera, tho, so don't hold your breath :rotfl:
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

First shop of the month £83.23 , thought shop was a good one. Seeing as it's a five week month for us and our two youngest kids have broken our kitchen taps an hour ago. So hubby has had to buy a new one costing £47 :eek: ,belts will have to be even tighter now :rolleyes: .

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today for me, which is nice. And it'll be a nice OS tea of moussaka with some for the freezer. Back to work tomorrow though and the temptation of going through town on the way to work for a drink is always strong! I must resist!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options

i did the same recipe that we're all using for the iced fingers but instead of making them into 'finger' shapes, i rolled the dough flat, to about 12" x 12" , brushed on some melted butter/marg, sprinkled about 2tsp sugar all over, then sprinkled quite a bit of cinnamon all over (i like cinnamon!), then spread a load of raisins and dried cranberries all over it, rolled it up into a sausage shape, then cut into ring-slices about 1" thick.

Yum these sound delicious mandymoo - a definite one to try.

Where do you get your dried cranberries? I use them on our breakfast porridge sometimes as it helps to ring the changes.

I had meant to spend some time in the garden today - lots of shrubs seem to have had a growth spurt while we were away, however it keeps pouring with rain! Instead I've been cooking - probably just as well really as my back is really horrid today!!!! I've made a batch of apple crumbles for the freezer, a sponge cake, cheese scones and the bm is whirring away noisily as I write. :A At least the day hasn't been wasted.....

Hope some people are seeing the sunshine. If so please would you sent some over my way?
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just catching up on some posts whilst i wait for the iced - bun - thingies to rise....calling them that, cos i've adapted it a little bit ;)

put them on a greased baking tray, flat side down, and have left 'em to rise, then i'll bake them at 180 for about 10-15mins, then put icing on the tops....yummy!! if i can get DD18 to show me how to put a photo on here, i'll post one if they're successful!!! can't even get the hang of using a digital camera, tho, so don't hold your breath :rotfl:
    That sounds delish mandy_moo, mmmmmmmmm.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    Well NSD weekend for me out of GC anyway which im quiet proud of coz it dont happen that often :rotfl: my darlin OH treated me to some dressed crab yesterday which i quiet happily finished off :D forgot how much i love the stuff (its been a while) also forgot how much it smells out the place :rotfl: me and my DD made ice lollies out of mr s's chocolate ready mix whip thingy... she keeps asking when they'll be done :D i should really hoover but as it is not that bad and im enjoying just relaxing for once... sod it :rotfl: hope your all well and having a good day xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi there, just wanted to share a couple of my fave biscuit/cake recipes. Cheaper than buying them!

Aunty Sallys Apple Cake (recipe given to me by my actual Aunty Sally!!)

8oz self raising flour
    4oz marg or butter
    4oz castor sugar
    8oz roughly chopped apples
    4oz saltanas
    juice of half a lemon (soak the apples in this once chopped)
    2 med-large eggs
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ginger
    • Mix flour and marg til it resembles breadcrumbs.
    • Add all other ingredients
    • Let sit for 5 mins
    • Grease tin
    • Place in tin (push up bottom type if available but not vital)
    • Cook at 180 degrees Gas mark 4 for 1 - 1 1/4 hrs or til a knife pulls out cleanly
    Delicious hot as a pudding with custard or cold as a delicioiusly moist cake.

Peanut Butter Cookies

These are remarkably cheap if you use Tesco value pb at 45p a jar (approx)

I have actual 'cup' measurers but an american friend of mine said a cup is about 8 oz so hope that helps. I think as long as you keep it all the same then you can't go too far wrong.

1/2 cup butter or marg
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup peanut butter - I use crunchy
    1 egg
    3/4 tsp bicarb of soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 & 1/4 cup sieved flour (I have used self raising but don't think it matters much)
    1/4 tsp salt
    • Cream butter and sugar and pb together. Beat in egg and then stir in all other ingrediants.
    • Shape dough into balls, place on lightly greased baking sheets.
    • Dip fork into flour and then press down onto the balls to make ridges. Flour stops fork sticking to dough.
    • Bake at 180 degrees/350 degrees F for about 10 mins.
    Makes about 26

Hope you enjoy!
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport