PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    We are now making our own yoghurt, putting the slow cooker that had been in storage to much better use. I use a 600ml milk/4 tablespoons live yoghurt/2 tablespoons powdered milk recipe. This costs the £0.55p for the starter yoghurt, around £0.30 for the longlife milk and say 5p for the powdered milk = 90p. Makes enough for the original 500g batch, then I use 4 tablespoons of that and start again - this time it costs £0.35 total. Third time, £0.35 again. So 1.5kg yoghurt costs £1.50. I must be saving compared to the supermarket, plus it tastes yummy and has no packaging!

Houston, we have a problem... My first batch always goes well and is very yummy, but last night for the first time I tried to make batch #2, with 4 tablespoons of yoghurt from the 1st batch. Same recipe, just no 'new' yoghurt.

It didn't work - any idea what I did wrong? :confused:
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    wendywitch..but look how well you did in July!!!
    SFT

Yeah and I really don't know how! :o Don't think it'll happen again though.
  • ZoeGirl_3
    ZoeGirl_3 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    What do you want to subsitute the baking powder for baking soda in??

May or may not work, depending...
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !! :mad:
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    NSD yesterday, but DEFINATELY have to shop today...no narnas, satsumas or milk--well, after the obligatory cuppa:p

We may even carry on with our plan to visit the open air market despite the inclement weather. If we do, there's a very popular butcher's van so I could be tempted to some meat seeing as the freezer is thinned out a bit now.
    There was me thinking we were having so much chicken & in danger of laying our own eggs, but now I'm missing the little white meat meals & am suffering withdrawal symptoms after just a week:o Thank Goodness for Rubber Fowl:j
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all.
    Just been to Tesco's, to use my £6 off £30 voucher. Went with a definate list of things to stock up on, also a rough list of things that are good offers (if any). With voucher subtracted I paid £29.13- stocked up on lots and also got a couple of good offers (got lemon and orange jelly slices for 19p- yummy for putting on lemon and orange cakes ;) ). As we are away mid week the only other thing we might need is some milk (although not even sure we will) so am pretty confident we will be under this week, which is great as managed to stock up too :D Cannot believe the price of cooking oil now though and some other things too. It's scary scary. Also remember when you shop in MrT's and use your own bags that you get green points. I know its only a few points a time but then I think 2-4 points per week = 100-200 points per year and as they say 'every little helps' lol.
    Right off to pack the shopping away, update freezer list and then lunch for me and DS (baguette pizzas) and DH will get his when he comes back from Church. Also need to make some bread today- might make oat bread.
    I will pop on later to read all the posts but in the meantime hugs to all who need them.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone - hope the sun is shining wherever you are!:cool:

Just on to update sig as spent £47.05 at MrT this morning.
  • Pablosmummy
    Options
    I've done my first shop of the month and I'm under budget!! hurrah! had 45 to spend, only spent £32.08!!!!

I'm off to B& Q now to buy some lawnmower blades (its a jungle out there and theres someone coming to fix our garden wall tomorrow and you cant even see it for the weeds and grass!)

then I'm going to make some bread and possibly a cake..dont know yet
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • pikachu_nitwit
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just to say how impressed I am with all of the posts in this forum. We're a family of 4 and we spend too much on our grocery bills month after month. With all the cost of living increases, we're spending more than we're earning and it's worrying.

I must admit I do find it very hard running the household and working p/t as well and don't feel like I have a grip on it. I feel like the household should run with military precision but I feel disorganised most of the time. Our children are ages 3 and 1.

I will read these posts a with a view to joining in the challenge next month. I think the key for us is having weekly menu plans, but on the days I'm working, must be something quick to put together (or make the night before)

Do you include toiletries and alcohol in your budgets (alcohol not for me, but DH who likes his red wine) ?
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just to say how impressed I am with all of the posts in this forum. We're a family of 4 and we spend too much on our grocery bills month after month. With all the cost of living increases, we're spending more than we're earning and it's worrying.

I must admit I do find it very hard running the household and working p/t as well and don't feel like I have a grip on it. I feel like the household should run with military precision but I feel disorganised most of the time. Our children are ages 3 and 1.

I will read these posts a with a view to joining in the challenge next month. I think the key for us is having weekly menu plans, but on the days I'm working, must be something quick to put together (or make the night before)

Do you include toiletries and alcohol in your budgets (alcohol not for me, but DH who likes his red wine) ?

Welcome pikachu_nitwit..

I think everyone includes different things ,, me,, I include everything except fuel for the car,, I include all cleaning goods and foodstuffs for us and the cats,,I do include toiletries but it is up to the individual,,

Hope this helps

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've done my first shop of the month and I'm under budget!! hurrah! had 45 to spend, only spent £32.08!!!!

I'm off to B& Q now to buy some lawnmower blades (its a jungle out there and theres someone coming to fix our garden wall tomorrow and you cant even see it for the weeds and grass!)

then I'm going to make some bread and possibly a cake..dont know yet

Hi there Pablosmummy,, we got our lawnmower blades from the black& decker factory shop,,, we spent 50p and got five blades,, and we have a flymo lawnmower,, all blades are interchangeable so DH says anyway

hope this helps

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family