PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• savingfortravel
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!
    Well I went on my whoopsie hunt today.
    Was restrained only got loaf of organic white bread (23p) and wholemeal bread (15p) but also sought out 8 Alaskan Salmon Fillets for £5 (thanks Angelnikki for that!). Used £1.40 in MOCoupons so final total with a few other bits was £5.79.
    Might get some more salmon fillets tomorrow if I can fit them in my freezer!!
    Hope everyone has had a great day...I'm off to catch up on my posts.

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Right, that's me done my first 'big' shop of the challenge! It wasn't quite a normal week, according to the other half, anyway, as we hardly got anything. But! We got what we needed. :) So, with the base ingredients like two big (for us!) packs of mince for £5, taking advantage of a couple of bogof offers, etc, etc, our total tonight came to £31.78 - roughly about £10 less than we'd normally spend. :) So I'm happy!

And now to update my sig. Sunday is going to be batch cooking day, making about four portions of moussaka to go in the freezer. Mmm, proper ready meals!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • lainz
    lainz Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm really :mad: . I went to Mr T after work to get a few bits and my cat really likes the little foil trays of cat food (but only the chicken and ham flavour) I have been buying them at 20p each - so they work out ok, went to get some today 39p:eek: , and only the chicken and ham flavour, all the other flavours are 20p AND to add insult to injury there's a sign on the shelf edge with the price in big letters and 'Everyday low prices'. I was buying it 2 weeks ago at 20p :mad: . Suffice to say I didn't buy any, had a look on the tesco website and I can't email to complain - I can phone at 6p a minute - and you know what they can do with that idea :D .

Whiskas it is then - humph!
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    galadriel wrote: »
    For apple sauce I just peel, core and slice the apple, add a splash of water and microwave for a few minutes. My recipe book says add sugar and butter when cooked but my lot are happy with my slimline version, DD won't have a roast dinner without apple sauce whatever the meat. If I am lucky enough to get some windfalls I stew them in a pan and then freeze in small portions, sorry not sure about keeping in jars.

To stew my recipe book says add 3 tabs water to 11b apples and cook gently until soft and pulpy, then mash to a puree, add 2 teasp sugar. 1/2 oz butter and a pinch of salt.

Thanks galadriel- will definitely go with freezing.
    Does anyone know when is best to harvest the apples?
    Always seem to go from nearly ripe to past their best overnight.

Hugs to all that need them, hope you all feel better soon.

Wendy- sorry to hear about your card, that's awful x Happened to my Mum a few years ago around Mother's Day and the horror spent a fortune in a florists to add insult to injury :eek: . All sorted out by banks in the end but its horrible at the time.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

I am still running my July challenge (until friday), but I want to be in again for £100 for August please. I will try harder this time and hopefully come in under budget. Got the whole weekend off, so think I will do a big cooking/baking session.

Anyway, I did a double cook the other day - made a cheesy leek and broccoli pasta bake, and seeing as I was making white sauce for the pasta bake, I also made a chicken pie (topped with mash), so that is in the freezer.

Somerfield have 9 loo rolls half price for £2.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • coco2972
    coco2972 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I have shopped twice this week to make the most of the NOTW £5 vouchers in Mr T. Also quite a good whoopsie hunt, plenty of meat in the freezer to keep us going for a couple of weeks.

1 week in, £57 spent
    Light Bulb Moment 01 May 2007
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Just over £13 spent in the local butchers today on 2 steaks and a kilo of mince :eek: Lovely steaks tho - but a rare treat nowadays, since joining in the GC. OH is busy turning the mince into a chilli, so that will make about 4 meals for the 2 of us (OH is VERY particular about his chillis so I've not got a chance in hell of getting him to stretch it out with lentils, oats, veggies etc :rolleyes:) I need to get back on track with my diet tho as need to shift a stone before I order my wedding frock, so I think I'll get some quorn for making chillis so that I can eat that while he has his meaty stuff. Can I stretch out a quorn chilli with oats, lentils etc, or is it just meat based ones? I can put whatever I like in my quorn chilli 'cos OH won't be eating it :D

Have worked out a meal plan til the end of August. I was starting my months on 24th, which is when I get paid, but think it would make more sense in my head if I did actual calendar months. If we're careful (and don't have any more steaks this month :rotfl:) we can stretch the budget out for an extra week, to take us to 31 August.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to check in, although I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post this month, at the moment, gc is very low on my list of priorities. There have been some serious family problems which have completely knocked my whole family off our feet.

I have been shopping a couple of times, I will update my sig when I've added them up, but I think I've spent around £50.

Good luck to everyone this month.

Sophie
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Yes i stretch quorn out with oats, carrot, courgetee anything really. its lovely hubby cant tell.
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Sosh, how upsetting for you and your whole family.
    Thinking of you all

Sian x
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business