PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    Interesting experience in Tesco today, basically a pricing error hassle, although got it sorted out eventually (I had typed it all out but edited it to shorten this post as its a tad boring!). Basically check your receipts and query and then query again, and if not happy keep querying until you are happy (or happier at least) :p .
    Only spent just over £11 in Tesco but did manage to get till boy to take a £1 off Pampers voucher ok :D (they are taking the coop '£10 off £30' vouchers too **) and got all we needed to last until Sat (new budget starts on Sun again) between Tesco and a local shop or 2. I also got a '£6 off £30'. Not sure if it will be used as off on hols (only valid in our local Tesco) mid week and we won't need much!
    Hope you are all ok.
    X

** The Coop '£10 off £30' were printed in our local paper to use in the Coop (either of the three island ones), the week after Tesco printed '£5 off £30' to use only in our new Tesco. Tesco are accepting the Coop ones as well now.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• naturally_2
    naturally_2 Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join in for the first time? I have done one shop this month (payday is 25th so am going on that) and spent a fortune on food already, so I want to do this challenge as £60 for the rest of the month (£15.22 a week)

Should be perfectly possible as its only me and I have loads of stuff in the stock cuboards already! :D
  • Diane_239
    Diane_239 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Nsd today quite getting use to this no spending thing.
    will try and do 2 more before shopping on sat.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
  • Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last night I took my yellow stickered lamb out of the SC and forgot to put it in the fridge. What a waste of £2! I'll be more careful next time...
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    Definately do the point chasing thing. Do you shop online and use extra points codes? Would it work to buy vouchers from ebay? I know some people sell them on. Alternatively could you stick up a round robin email at work offering to buy any clubcard points that people don't want?

Thanks, that way was my line of thinking but I have had a terrible time with online codes none of them have worked. Even the vouchers they send out to you.

I was trying to work out how much I would need to spend a year to get enough for one course. So without any extra points I would have to spend £5000 for £500 of vouchers - is that right? Wow!

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • Floxxie
    Options
    bails wrote: »
    Floxxie, I had no idea you could pay for OU with Tesco points! :T How does it work? Does anyone know if this is just a Tesco thing or if other supermarkets do this? Our local is Sains but my mum's is Tesco. I am hoping to study a Masters in Education and this could make it possible! TIA.

Hi Bails,
    I'm only aware that Tesco does it. You can have a look at the Tesco site. You would need to have your own account with Tesco as the deals are printed with your name on.I didn't realise that you could use the deals for each new course you take (the wording on the Tesco site sounds as if it is for the first one only), but you can. This is the only way I could afford to do the course.

Sorry didn't really explain how it works! You shop at Tescos and collect points for the amount spent. There are additional point vouchers and codes so they can soon add up. Your points are converted into vouchers - to either spend in store or use on one of their deals. The voucher's value is then worth 4 times when you purchase a deal i.e. for every £2.50 you would get £10 in a deal.

HTH

Floxxie
  • Floxxie
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    I caught the flu when DS was about 7months old and this triggered what I have now which is Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (aka CFS/ME) I suffer a lot from being extremely fatigued/ unable to sleep/ repeated sore throats/ severe leg/muscle/joint pain/ feel complety foggy in the brain like I'm walking around in a coma ... I have had this for over a year now and it was all triggered by having a lot of stress and flu at the same time.

Good advice angelnikki, although if I was you, I would ask them to continue checking your thyroid. I had exactly the same symptoms as you nine months after my son was born but didn't do anything abut it until nearly two years later when I wasn't getting pregnant. My husband thought I was going senile because my memory was appalling! A blood test later and I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. On permanent medication now and I will never be the same but at least I can function. My doctor says it was probably tottering for years and interestingly my immune system has always been a tad rubbish.

Floxxie
  • Keeping_Positive
    Options
    Help

Any idea if I can do anything with the following? I was thinking lasagne or bolognaise. Thing is I usually cook from jars. I have been left some sald stuff by next door before they went on hols.

500g frozen turkey mince
    10 aldi salad tomatoes
    3 peppers - although kids (and Im not to keen) hate things like this its a shame to see them go to waste)
    Dried oregano
    Mixed herbs
    Garlic

pasta or lasagne sheets also in cupboard

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Im up against it this month and want/need to be as frugel as possible.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening all
    Will only be popping in and out whenever I can over the next week or so as really busy at the moment work wise (which is good! :D ) and have limited myself to 15 mins at a time to catch up, or I will be on here all night... and get nothing done! :eek: (have set my timer just in case I "forget" to check!)

Herby - Thanks for the advice re Thyroids - they did have that on my sheet so it will be checked - results in 2 days! Couldn't sleep again last night and didn't go to bed till after 3am :eek: , didn't get up with Hubby at 5am today though as was too tired. He left me there and 'crept' around (as much as a baby elephant can creep around :rotfl: ) doing his lunch and stuff and I got up about 8.30am - so got some sleep at least.

Was going to do meatballs in tomato sauce with tagliattelli tonight, but knew I was running late so picked up a bag of meatballs while I was in Ikea and had them with HM chips tonight (before this challenge I would have got a TA) - £3.45 I think, so not too bad as will do two meals (although nowhere near as cheap as my HM ones would have been :rolleyes: )

Oooh, my buzzer has just gone off so I will go now and catch up with the rest of the posts later (up to page 15 at the moment) - see you later,
    Den x
    PS - Take care Kaat_Lady, speak to you later x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • punkrock06
    punkrock06 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    hi can i join? im new so ill chance it at €160 please!!
    :T pigsback points:3,250:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport