Great ‘cheap when you get there holiday destinations’ hunt

Comments

• rospax
    rospax Posts: 26 Forumite
    thamesmatt wrote: »
    Easter, i'm afraid to say the plane goes anyway whether or not you or I are on it so you might as well go and have a good time!

Until the green taxes cover a flat fee for an airline no matter how full the plane you wont see a drop in flights. Per person taxes are no incentive to cull redundant flights. Plus the need to keep precious landing slots.

I'm afraid boycotting hurts no one but your own discovery of the world!

Not true. Demand drives supply - it just takes a little time to percolate through. Stop filling the planes and the planes will stop flying. It's the nature of commerce. That's why boycotts do work.
  • rospax
    rospax Posts: 26 Forumite
    matbe wrote: »
    Idont believe there is such a thing as a cheap holiday in uk
    the place is a complete rip off

we went to cornwall a few years back and got thru about £300 quid in three days add on cost of fuel from north west accomodation £100 per night for a band b its a small fortune went to florida two months later for £1100 for two adults and a child included flights hotel and car.

Here's a suggestion for a stress-free, low cost holiday. Take your holiday budget and stay at home with it. Tell everyone, including your boss and your mum, that you are going away for a week so they don't bother you. Turn off the phone. Then book up a treat for each day with your budget: Go out for a great meal somewhere really special; have a massage; visit some of those local tourist spots you always meant to go to and never made it to; have a day out in a city near you; go out for a walk with a picnic; go to an art gallery or the theatre; drive to seaside for the day; get a takeaway, have a romantic meal and watch a video... You won't have to worry about who's going to water the garden, feed the cat, walk the dog or deter burglars. You won't have spend half your holiday getting over jet lag. You won't have to wait around in a stuffy airport fuming because your flight has been delayed or your luggage lost. You won't have to pack or prepare in advance for all eventualities. You won't spend more than you want to on your "holiday", you'll have the time and space to do some of those things you always intended to do and I promise you, you will feel just as rested as if you actually went away somwehere.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    sparky371 wrote: »
    i suspect you know nothing about the culture etc so why not leave the social comments out of it.
    Thailand can be very cheap especially if you stay away from the main tourist areas- mainly Bangkok,Pattaya and Phuket.
    for example fan rooms can be had for as little as the equivalent of £1.50 a night. and aircon rooms from £5 a night. local food from the street carts -@ 50p a meal.

i lived there for a while and it can be very cheap to live-and travel around- the Thais are very friendly too. its a fantastic culture and there are some wonderful sights to see
    well worth a visit

Oh you suspect wrong.

I've travelled quite extensively in Thailand and love the place. My point was that I find it very disturbing to find fat, old Western guys walking openly along with underage boys and girls. That's not a "social comment".

I don't like paedophiles. Do you?
  • When in the States visit Marshalls who are a branch of TKMax for real bargains. My wife got a Calvin Klien suit in SF for £15.00 and there were loads more at similar prices. Another good shop for good but inexpensive clothing is Ross's. Also look off for Sears and JC Pennies. We got loads of clothes in Michigan for a very small amount of money. Look for clearance lines at 60% off then if they have another pink sticker on them you get another 60% off. Isaw a beautiful gents soft leather coat seeling for £15.00 and as the lady had a Sears card she got another 15% off the price. watch out for similar bargains on perfume and aftershave in these shops too.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tozer wrote: »
    Oh you suspect wrong.

I've travelled quite extensively in Thailand and love the place. My point was that I find it very disturbing to find fat, old Western guys walking openly along with underage boys and girls. That's not a "social comment".

I don't like paedophiles. Do you?

Those boys and girls were almost certainly NOT under age. Thailand has strict laws about child protection: paedophiles know this and would certainly not display their taste in public.

And I'm not sure what the age and girth of the western guy has to do with things (and what about western women who like this kind of thing when on holiday?). Child abuse is wrong, and I'm glad to say that laws against it are rigorously enforced in most of the world. Consenting adults are free to make friends with each other; to walk around holiday resorts together; and perhaps even to hold hands now and then.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Those boys and girls were almost certainly NOT under age. Thailand has strict laws about child protection: paedophiles know this and would certainly not display their taste in public.

And I'm not sure what the age and girth of the western guy has to do with things (and what about western women who like this kind of thing when on holiday?). Child abuse is wrong, and I'm glad to say that laws against it are rigorously enforced in most of the world. Consenting adults are free to make friends with each other; to walk around holiday resorts together; and perhaps even to hold hands now and then.

Sadly when you are on a business trip and see a British bloke in a hotel lift with a child no older than 10 very late at night, that is really quite wrong.

Oh, and I think the fat old Western blokes haven't just "made friends" with the girl, boy or ladyboy they are with...
  • bradhadair
    bradhadair Posts: 13 Forumite
    thailand is fantastic and whoever mentioned about western perverts... its not as bad as its all made out to be... for great hotel prices check out https://www.sawasdee.com although you can get a holiday inn room in Pattaya for £200 A MONTH if you look in the right places... me and my partner went out in 2006... £750 for flights for the two of us, £100 for a weeks hotel (OK we had the benefit of a weeks free stay as my partners mum lives in krung thep (bangkok for the masses who still insist on calling it so even tho its not been called bangkok for 20 years) spending money... approx £500 INCLUDING new clothes every day (you needed it) eating out every day, taxi's to travel around in every day, transfer from krung thep to pattaya was only B100 each (around £1.50!!!!)

LETS ALL GO TO THAILAND ITS HOT ITS CHEAP THE PEOPLE ARE LOVELY and the rain feels like a warm shower, last for 30 mins, floods the streets and us silly ferrang (thai for white people) splash around in the water to cool down lol... oh and by the way if you do go to thailand try eating where the thais eat... its fun its DEAD cheap and its a little culture at the same time!! learn how to say hello in thai (sawasdee-ka for women sawasdee-crap for men) and the thais wont be able to do enough for you!!!

cant wait for my next trip to thailand.... :j:j:j:j:j:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:T:T:T:T
  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Sod Thailand...

Indonesia is far cheaper!

Get your self 3 weeks holiday, a flight into Medan and out of Padang and you've got everything. Proper Orang-utans, volcanoes, culture, inland beaches, largest inland island in the world, largest flower in the world, elephants, tigers.

And for very, very little money.
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    MADCAT19 wrote: »
    Anyway, my bit for this thread: Brazil. :jEven though its economy is rising, it's still the cheapest S. American destination.

I would agree with everything you said, Madcat19, but with one important additional asset when taking a holiday in Brazil. The Brazilian people - they are (on the whole) absolutely lovely, friendly, welcoming and warmhearted:kisses3:. I've been on holiday there three times, enjoying everything from visiting the north and staying with a family of indigenous Indians in the Amazon - through to the tourist trails of the Iguazu Falls (which are the largest, most impressive falls on the planet). With 275 individual cascades they’ve been described as, “an ocean pouring into an abyss”:eek:. Although it was a tourist trap, even the people there appeared genuinely friendly.

Sadly, it is about ten to fifteen times more expensive than it was when I first went, twenty years ago, but it remains cheaper and better value than the UK and most parts of Western Europe. Avoid Rio, avoid Carnival and avoid flights with Air France (yuk, yuk and double yuk) and I think you can have a great moneysaver holiday there.
  • marluc
    marluc Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi Sam Bee.
    Just wondered who you booked flights and accommodation with? It sounds an amazing area. We're looking for somewhere "special" next summer for our 10th wedding anniversary.
    Thanks in advance.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport