Great ‘cheap when you get there holiday destinations’ hunt

Comments

• cjmumto2
    cjmumto2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    I have to disagree that staying in the UK is a cheap holiday. I have been doing lots of research as we are on a budget and the cheapest b&b.guesthouse or hotel I can find for a family of 4 is £100 per night. That is with all of us staying in same room. Then extortianite prices of restaurants in this country too. Just a day out in the UK can cost £100( theme park) and I am a strict moneysaver but sometimes I do like to buy a meal out and not picnic. And I can only collect some many tesco deals :)

Also the weather is never guaranteed so I would rather fly further afield and plant more trees in the garden to offset my carbon footprint and have a sunny holiday that I dont have buyers remorse about.
  • bojolo
    bojolo Posts: 2 Newbie
    I found Naxos (although Greek) to be very cheap. Its a small Agean island and we got a 2 course meal (massive portions) and 2 drinks for £12 in the main town. If you got to the smaller fishing villages you can get 2 greek Salad's and 2 Sprite for about 5 euros. It was great as it was lively in the evening but not rowdy - you could drink until the early hours but it was relaxed and laid back. The only down side was a flight to Mykonos then a 2 and a half hour ferry (small ferry) ride to Naxos. They do have a small airport but I think it only takes internal Greek flights. There are lots of places to visit aswell and a fabulous open air cinema that shows films in English. We saw 300 there - perfect. I went with my partner and we're both 30 and found it just right for us. Very friendly people. Fantastic fresh fish.

Also for a mini break I would suggest Gdansk in Poland. Went for a family wedding and we got a two course meal with drinks and coffee for £9. Lots of architecture to see. The oldest ship building port I think too. Very friendly people.
  • senab
    senab Posts: 14 Forumite
    I booked a holiday last week to Olu Deniz in Turkey for a week, at the start of September for £210. Decent hotel, breakfast and transfer's included, can't wait! :D

I wanted to go back to Rhodes this year; I went last year and it cost me £160 last minute in July. This year the cheapest I found it was £350!

Not sure if i'm allowed to post this, but a cheap place I found was http://www.118travel.co.uk/
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    cjmumto2 wrote: »
    I have to disagree that staying in the UK is a cheap holiday. I have been doing lots of research as we are on a budget and the cheapest b&b.guesthouse or hotel I can find for a family of 4 is £100 per night. That is with all of us staying in same room. Then extortianite prices of restaurants in this country too. Just a day out in the UK can cost £100( theme park) and I am a strict moneysaver but sometimes I do like to buy a meal out and not picnic. And I can only collect some many tesco deals :)

Also the weather is never guaranteed so I would rather fly further afield and plant more trees in the garden to offset my carbon footprint and have a sunny holiday that I dont have buyers remorse about.

Ahh well I wasnt talking like for like, I meant camping or a caravan holiday. My friend books a Haven caravan in the school holidays. Full price is £700+ but she usually manages to get it for half price using clubcard vouchers every year. To keep costs down they eat in etc and have a meal out now and again. Not everyone's cup of tea but thats all their budget allows.

We on the other hand are going to Turkey, booked flights for £100 each last year and found very cheap accommodation (good reviews), total £630 for a family of 4 in August. Quite cheap compared to brochure prices!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Roger_Rampant
    Roger_Rampant Posts: 3,282 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are lots of places to visit aswell and a fabulous open air cinema that shows films in English. We saw 300 there - perfect.
    You watched 300 films while you were on holiday? :rotfl:
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • MaxEnder
    MaxEnder Posts: 13 Forumite
    I think The Far East can work out to be very cheap - Thailand, Malaysia etc.

or get a villa in Europe and split it among ten of you
  • We just came back from Malaysia and it's dirt cheap as it's 6 MYR to the £. We stayed in Langkawi in a 4 star resort for £49 a night and eating and drinking out was extremely cheap also. We had a dinner one evening in a 'posh' restaurant which was 3 courses, 2 bottles of wine and tip for £75. Generally you can get breakfast for less than £3 for two and dinner depending on wine and courses can be as cheap as £10. Travelling around Malaysia is also cheap as you can island hop or use no frills airlines which are by far better than our equivalent! Hope this helps!
  • We've been taking almost exclusively UK holidays for the last few years. The benefits are manifold: discovering wonderful places on our doorstep, no airports, less environmental impact (we travel by train whenever it is practical), and generally low cost. As a family with two young children, we generally find self catering suits us best. We can stay somewhere for a week far more cheaply than if we were in a hotel and we get more space to ourselves. The children sleep in their own room, we have a lounge to relax in, plus we can eat in or out as we choose. We've done the same on our occasional sorties outside the UK. A week in Paris studio apartment on the edge of the centre cost us just £50 per night for the 4 of us (kids in the bedroom and us on the fold-down sofa in the lounge - see www.citea.com for details).
    tiff wrote: »
    Ahh well I wasnt talking like for like, I meant camping or a caravan holiday. My friend books a Haven caravan in the school holidays. Full price is £700+ but she usually manages to get it for half price using clubcard vouchers every year. To keep costs down they eat in etc and have a meal out now and again. Not everyone's cup of tea but thats all their budget allows.

We on the other hand are going to Turkey, booked flights for £100 each last year and found very cheap accommodation (good reviews), total £630 for a family of 4 in August. Quite cheap compared to brochure prices!
  • thamesmatt
    thamesmatt Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Easter wrote: »
    Are we not supposed to be staying CLOSER to home now that the planet is melting? Just because EURO has done down a bit does not sound like a good excuse for me to start holidaying in Thailand or South Africa. I for one do not think a trip to Bali or Marrakech is 'cheap' when you add in cost to the environment (and I jsut can't be bothered sitting on a plane that long unless I really have to).

Easter, i'm afraid to say the plane goes anyway whether or not you or I are on it so you might as well go and have a good time!

Until the green taxes cover a flat fee for an airline no matter how full the plane you wont see a drop in flights. Per person taxes are no incentive to cull redundant flights. Plus the need to keep precious landing slots.

I'm afraid boycotting hurts no one but your own discovery of the world!
  • MADCAT19
    MADCAT19 Posts: 45 Forumite
    I laughed at the 300 films comment.:rolleyes: Well, what's wrong with watching films on hols? Sounds good to me! I think the reference was made for the film "300" though.

Anyway, my bit for this thread: Brazil. :jEven though its economy is rising, it's still the cheapest S. American destination. I've been there 2 years ago and I'm going again in December. You can get return flights from £500 if you book early and for November (late Spring for them but still hot - they've got tropical climate!). The closer to Xmas you get the more expensive it gets. Prices reach climax in February for the famous Carnival season. Prob best to avoid. I booked my ticket for December to January (incl Xmas & NYE) for £640 w/ Iberia connecting in Madrid.

Now, once you're there, oh my. Cheap as chips. I think the most striking example is fresh coconuts (so you can drink the water with a straw). I recently saw them being sold in Camden Market at £3 a pop. Outrageous. You can get one for 35p at the Copacabana.in Rio de Janeiro.;) Imagine the mark-up, if you will.

I think everything is cheap. I can't think of one thing that I found expensive there. Well, expensive in London standards at least.:D

You can get really nice food in Sao Paulo (good quality sushi made in front of you) and a drink for £10 including service (for one - I travel alone).:cool: The famous sucos (juices) cost about 60p per cup and adding a savoury snack (salgado - like a pasty or something similar but more tasty and probably bad for you - think deep fried!) to it can probably bring you up to £1 everywhere in the country. Prices don't really go up and down massively. Or maybe I didn't notice being non-Brazilian.

Accommodation again is cheap. I paid for a double room with breakfast in central Sao Paulo in the Japanese quarter (safe & fun neighbourhood) about £21 per night. I had dinner at the hotel's restaurant for a fiver (including tip of 50p for which they almost hugged me:o) - 2 course and water (the main was big enough for 2 not to mention great tasting). Useful thing to mention is that Brazil's not kind to lone travellers, so if I had shared my room I'd have paid half the price.

Domestic travel again can be cheap. One-way flight to Rio from SP was about £20 booked last minute (literally about 3-4 days before departure). Coaches though are the way forward and you can upgrade big time. Long distance journeys are serviced by what they call Executivos. A first class coach! :cool:25 fully reclining seats in each with an attendant, toilet, water cooler and "break out/lounge area" and a bag of snacks for the way. A 10h journey can cost around £30 but you save on a night's accommodation AND travel at the same time so for me, it's the only way!

I also bought a pair of HI Converse trainers in SP for about £15 brand new and not the simple ones.:j

In general you're expected to haggle for purchases from markets and stuff but I didn't have the heart to do it as things were cheap already.:o

To cut this short, I spent 3 weeks there, visited 6 different places (yes, the Amazon!) all around the country with internal flights and coaches, spent my nights in cheap but safe and recommended hotels (not hostels), ate out all the time and it cost me £1700 all in (flights and all - every single expense from my door back to my door - even the taxi to Heathrow £29 :eek:).

I'll be spending 2 wks in Brazil and 2 wks in Argentina this time and I've budgeted £2k as Argentina is slightly more expensive than Brazil but still I'm told you can have a fab steak meal out with wine (Mendoza country!) for a fiver so I'll eat a whole cow by the time I'm back!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure