Great ‘cheap when you get there holiday destinations’ hunt

Comments

• zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    This year we decided to go to Egypt for 2 weeks. We have been told that it's ultra cheap in Egpyt

I'm glad you said that! 6 of us have just booked up to go to Sharm-el-Sheikh next June, 14 nights AI for £600. I dunno if thats cheap or not or of its the fact that its ages away so got a while to pay for it but I like it! Its gonna be off the hook!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    thamesmatt wrote: »
    Easter, i'm afraid to say the plane goes anyway whether or not you or I are on it so you might as well go and have a good time!

Until the green taxes cover a flat fee for an airline no matter how full the plane you wont see a drop in flights. Per person taxes are no incentive to cull redundant flights. Plus the need to keep precious landing slots.

I'm afraid boycotting hurts no one but your own discovery of the world!

Very well put!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • Tozer wrote: »
    Thailand is a fantastic place...apart from the places infested by Western perverts.

For some more culture, look to Malaysia. £500 return to KL and a fantastic holiday destination. Top class hotels from £60 per night and a very enjoyable times.

i suspect you know nothing about the culture etc so why not leave the social comments out of it.
    Thailand can be very cheap especially if you stay away from the main tourist areas- mainly Bangkok,Pattaya and Phuket.
    for example fan rooms can be had for as little as the equivalent of £1.50 a night. and aircon rooms from £5 a night. local food from the street carts -@ 50p a meal.

i lived there for a while and it can be very cheap to live-and travel around- the Thais are very friendly too. its a fantastic culture and there are some wonderful sights to see
    well worth a visit
  • I have just piad £330 for 4 adults to fly from east midlands to faro (portugal) in feb half term and then accomadation at hotel real bellavista a four star hotel is costing £87 each for 5 nights.
    So altogether this has cost £170 bed and breakfast and the shuttle from the airport can be found at about £8 each way.
  • Forgot to say flightd are through easy jet and hotel is through loe cost beds, travel republic is also a good cheap site to use as well.
  • mancmum
    mancmum Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Make friends with people.

We agreed to swap a hosted holiday with an older couple we met at a YHA in Belgium after a casual conversation. They came to Manchester were nervous about driving. We took them around Mcr, Peak District, etc for a long weekend.

We went to stay with them in Belgium. They were great people six kids of their own (one with learning disabilities), + foster child and they gave us the most wonderful holiday. £3.99 to Charleroi + train fare and then we bought a meal out for everyone at the end of the long weekend.

We didn't do this through an organisation but I understand there is one that links up people doing this type of thing.

Next holiday is to Korea to stay with the family who lived in Manchester while dad was studying who we met when our youngest was made guardian of the korean boy when he arrived in his class six year ago. Now he knows as many korean 'bad' words as the English ones he taught his new friend.
  • matbe
    matbe Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Easter wrote: »
    Are we not supposed to be staying CLOSER to home now that the planet is melting? Just because EURO has done down a bit does not sound like a good excuse for me to start holidaying in Thailand or South Africa. The solution I've found? Have a short holiday in Europe (doing Barcelona for 5 nights) and combine with a short holiday in UK (Cornwall for 5 nights). Doing bit for my wallet AND environment. I for one do not think a trip to Bali or Marrakech is 'cheap' when you add in cost to the environment (and I jsut can't be bothered sitting on a plane that long unless I really have to).

Idont believe there is such a thing as a cheap holiday in uk
    the place is a complete rip off

we went to cornwall a few years back and got thru about £300 quid in three days add on cost of fuel from north west accomodation £100 per night for a band b its a small fortune went to florida two months later for £1100 for two adults and a child included flights hotel and car.
  • jud!th
    jud!th Posts: 126 Forumite
    thamesmatt wrote: »
    Easter, i'm afraid to say the plane goes anyway whether or not you or I are on it so you might as well go and have a good time!

Until the green taxes cover a flat fee for an airline no matter how full the plane you wont see a drop in flights. Per person taxes are no incentive to cull redundant flights. Plus the need to keep precious landing slots.

I'm afraid boycotting hurts no one but your own discovery of the world!

Yeah, people live destructive lives, destroy the planet, neglect their kids (etc) anyway whether I join in or not...

I don't fly. I care about the planet, and I'm not going to make it worse by jumping on a bandwagon. If no-one flies then there won't be any need for flights. I'm one less person. With my family, 4 less people. With anyone who hears about our great holidays and thinks they'll do the same, less people again.

(and in case you wondered, I came on this thread to see whether there's anywhere that's fun to get to by train!)
  • k8te
    k8te Posts: 340 Forumite
    zipman23 wrote: »
    I'm glad you said that! 6 of us have just booked up to go to Sharm-el-Sheikh next June, 14 nights AI for £600. I dunno if thats cheap or not or of its the fact that its ages away so got a while to pay for it but I like it! Its gonna be off the hook!

Can i ask who you have booked that through? As we are wanting to go to Egypt next year, thankyou
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Blue264 wrote: »
    It was mainly Australians and New Zealanders where I was based and they were flinching at the price of drinks, etc, whilst I was wondering how they could afford to sell a bottle of wine in a restaurant for the equivalent of £2.50 a bottle.

Most (well many) restaurants in Australia don't sell wine - you buy it at the off-licence and take it in with you.

Some quirk of the licensing laws encourages this system
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport