PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Online Solicitors - Help + advice needed!!!

Options

Comments

• Rachman_2
    Options
    Feel free to use a conveyancing bucket shop - you may get lucky - but God help you if it's a flat with a management company that's not perfect or if there is any thing that's not already programmed into the computer.

I am a solicitor who was working for the national law firm that set up one large bulk conveyancer with one of the big EAs - not one of us (out of over 200 lawyes in that office) let those idiots anywhere near our own conveyancing - even though it was free. An absolute shambles. We regularly had to send our trainee solicitors in on a Friday to sort out their screw ups. Abysmal. A large room with one qualified lawyer and otherwise full of chickens with headsets.

I always pay a local solicitor to do it - he does what I want when I want it and knows how to apply common sense, because it's what he does and what he's qualified at.

Save a few quid by all means, but as with all things, don't be surprised if you get what you pay for....

And as for price, gimpypoo, the online quoter you quoted came in at £400 more than I paid my local guy for my last sale and purchase.... - the net is not always the cheapest.....
  • BritSwedeGuy
    Options
    distilled wrote:
    Don't even think about it! When you call you can never speak to the same person twice and the process just drags on and on. Basically you're dealing with a call centre and we all know what that's like.

I had, and am still having, exactly the same experience.
  • DebbieHunt
    Options
    We were also tempted by what appeared to be an extremely reasonable quote from https://www.legalmove.com. However, if you click the "View Detailed Quote" on their site you will then see that they hit you with the following:-

Mortgage Fee £115.00
    SDLT Fee £75.00
    TT Fee £39.00
    If the house you are buying turns out to be leasehold £150.00

Our initial quote of £197 + VAT quickly turned into £576 + VAT!!!!!
  • TamTam72
    TamTam72 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Just a warning: I'm using Lambert Pugh and no one is returning my calls, and I'm getting really frustrated!!! I think the plug on this site has led to too much business, and therefore noones case being dealt with.

Anyone know if it's possible to change solicitors quickly, as the end of the conveyancing process?

Jenni

I agree with Jenni - I used Lambert Pugh recently for a VERY simple transaction, basically my (mortgage-free) parents bought our house from us (we also had no mortgage) and we then rented it off them, so a straightforward purchase with no upward or downward chain. When I first instructed them they said it would only take 2 weeks but actually took 2 MONTHS. I could never speak to Mr Lambert - he was always conveniently in meetings/at lunch etc. - and they always claimed to have sent things but we continually had to chase them up. They were certainly cheap (only charged me £200 + VAT) but were frustratingly USELESS. Be warned.
  • TamTam72
    TamTam72 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Just a warning: I'm using Lambert Pugh and no one is returning my calls, and I'm getting really frustrated!!! I think the plug on this site has led to too much business, and therefore noones case being dealt with.

Anyone know if it's possible to change solicitors quickly, as the end of the conveyancing process?

Jenni

I agree with Jenni - I used Lambert Pugh recently for a VERY simple transaction, basically my (mortgage-free) parents bought our house from us (we also had no mortgage) and we then rented it off them, so a straightforward purchase with no upward or downward chain. When I first instructed them they said it would only take 2 weeks but actually took 2 MONTHS. I could never speak to Mr Lambert - he was always conveniently in meetings/at lunch etc. - and they always claimed to have sent things but we continually had to chase them up. They were certainly cheap (only charged me £200 + VAT) but were frustratingly USELESS. Be warned.
  • sconti555
    Options
    Dear moneysaving friends,

I'm finding this discussion topic extremely interesting and useful - especially because I'm in the process of selecting a solicitor for conveyancy as well! I had a look at all of the above refereed options; in addition I have also been recommended (by the estate agent, I should add)

https://www.dezrez.com

but unsure about their performance - both in terms of cost and reliability. They seemed to be fine when I first approached them for a (decent, although not table-topping) quote. If any of you has got any experience with/feedback about them I'd be much grateful.
  • FatSteve
    Options
    Zudobug wrote:
    I found Joslin Rhodes to be very reasonably priced, and also super helpful. I had no hassle at all with them handling my conveyancing.

http://www.joslinrhodes.co.uk/conveyancing/conveyancing.html

They do online quotes now, so you can see what they're going to be charging to handle your conveyancing. Worth a look!

Trust me don't go there, they are the worst I've ever dealt with and I'm not the only one. Currently 4 1/2 months and counting for an empty new build (took someone else six weeks to get me in my last house), hard to get in contact with, don't callback and give you the impression of a little office piled high with papers. Lost my drivers licence, said they never received it and then it turned up with a compliments slip from them 2 days later after I'd ordered a new one!

Try these links, looks like I'm not the only one

Starts Well
    Not so good
    Gets worse and still going

Take this advice. Aim for the middle quote and check around the net for bad experiences.

Steve
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    I must be lucky, my sol has told me that we are just waiting the results of the searches and would be ready to exchage next week (one month exactly) up the chain, if it wasn't for our buyer who has changed his mind about his sols and has now instructed someone from MY HOUSE MOVE. Any experience of the latter?
  • ginandtonic1988
    ginandtonic1988 Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2012 at 3:22PM
    Options
    I have changed this for spelling and grammer reasons
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    my sister is a conveyencer at hammonds and says they often have offers on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories