PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Online Solicitors - Help + advice needed!!!

Options
Hiya,
Can anyone offer any advice about using an online solicitor?? Saw an online company mentioned in another thread (http://www.legalmove.com/quotestand...spx?dcode=LM504) which charges £277 each for both sale and buy + VAT which seems pretty reasonable compared to some of the quotes I've got from other companys, but how much would I actually be looking at paying in total??

I am buying and selling (moving from a £100K flat to a £135K house) and am trying to keep costs as low as possible!! The house we're looking at is stamp duty exempt.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• distilled
    Options
    Don't even think about it! When you call you can never speak to the same person twice and the process just drags on and on. Basically you're dealing with a call centre and we all know what that's like.

Shop around on the High Street and you'll have a much less hassle free move

Good Luck
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should be able to find a local solicitor for not much more money. A friend of mine used one of these online solicitors and apart from not knowing your local area, they can be a liability - his sale and purchase nearly fell through as a result of their ineptitude.
  • Sujamjen
    Sujamjen Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Try for a 'No move No fee' local solicitor, at least you only have to pay for the searches if the sale falls through!
  • tochun
    tochun Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I used the internet to find a cheap legal offer for a remortgage. I came across what appeared to be a website with a dodgy sounding name - https://www.cheapcheapconveyancing.co.uk. They basically link you up with solicitors who charge a very competitive rate.

Maybe I was fortunate, and what I was doing was very straightforward but on the same day a company based near Newcastle called me (I am based down south east) and they have been brilliant. Prior to signing up with them I checked out their credentials online and also with on the law society website and they appear to rate very highly.

Cost was at least half what the next cheapest quote I received and the whole process has been extremely seamless. Upon receipt of my signed mortgage deeds (last Tuesday), I am due to complete the remortgage tomorrow.00

One thing I have noticed is that the person who I was initially liasing with is no longer there (he was a clerk of some sort and not a solicitor). However, I have experienced no delays or issues with communication throughout the matter.

Please note that was I was doing was extremely straightforward - remortgage on a freehold property.

I can forward their contact details if you pm me.
  • coupleuk
    coupleuk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 June 2009 at 6:58AM
    Options
    UPDATE: I just found this old post of mine. Do NOT use these people, they turned out to be absolutely useless and tried to keep charging us more money.

I am currently using an on-line company called PropertyLawPartners.

I can phone and speak to the same person - no problem.

I can send an email on a Sunday and, expecting a reply on Monday, I actually received it on the Sunday afternoon !!

They work on a no sale-no fee basis.

They are licenced and they are regulated by Council for Licencing Conveyancing Service.

They also inform me they are on the approved lists of all mortgage companies.

I have no problems in recommending them (and I have no business association with them either).

Oh, they are low cost too !!

Paul

UPDATE: I just found this old post of mine. Do NOT use these people, they turned out to be absolutely useless and tried to keep charging us more money.
  • Happy_saver_4
    Options
    Sujamjen wrote:
    Try for a 'No move No fee' local solicitor, at least you only have to pay for the searches if the sale falls through!

Would a solicitor offering this fee structure not be charging a higher fee when a sale concludes? Someone has to pay for all his abortive work - sometimes produced by messy/inept buyers and sellers. That is part of the reason EA's fees are so high, as they charge on the same kind of basis.

I have always failed to understand why people should not expect to pay for any work carried out; as per their instructions. They actually expect other people to pay for their abortive work; perhaps brought about, because they've changed their mind. :mad:

If all buyers and sellers paid for the work carried out on their behalf the fees for house buying and selling would be reduced :D
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have always failed to understand why people should not expect to pay for any work carried out; as per their instructions. They actually expect other people to pay for their abortive work; perhaps brought about, because they've changed their mind. :mad: If all buyers and sellers paid for the work carried out on their behalf the fees for house buying and selling would be reduced :D

Exactly!! That is the trouble with taking Money Saving to extremes. No-one wants to be exploited or ripped-off, nor should they be, but people have to accept to pay a fair price for the goods and services they want. Time and time again you see high charges for "hidden" extras to compensate for a low (or free) price. In my opinion it is better to pay a fair price for a good quality job.
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used Conveyancing Direct for my recent purchase and I cannot recommend them highly enough! I was able to speak the the Solicitor whenever I wanted, they got my purchase through in under 8 weeks, they were very proficient and they are linked to all mortgage lenders and are regulated by the same body as other high street solicitors. I didn't need to travel hundreds of miles to sign papers (was buying a property 2 1/2 hours away in a different country) and the whole process was quick and painless and a very reasonable price.
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Would a solicitor offering this fee structure not be charging a higher fee when a sale concludes? Someone has to pay for all his abortive work - sometimes produced by messy/inept buyers and sellers. That is part of the reason EA's fees are so high, as they charge on the same kind of basis.

I have always failed to understand why people should not expect to pay for any work carried out; as per their instructions. They actually expect other people to pay for their abortive work; perhaps brought about, because they've changed their mind. :mad:

If all buyers and sellers paid for the work carried out on their behalf the fees for house buying and selling would be reduced :D
    Oops pressed 'thanks' instead of quote! Anyway, my solicitor didn't charge more, was very competative in fact and didn't drag his feet either - perhaps because he knew if he did and it fell through they'd be no money in it for him! ;)
  • mazfg
    mazfg Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that everyone, I've just put for a quote with:

http://www.cheapcheapconveyancing.co.uk/

and

http://www.conveyancersdirect.co.uk/ is that right, because there is a similar called:

http://www.conveyancingdirect.net/index.asp

Anyway hope to get a good deal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family