Do you tip supermarket delivery guys?

Options
I occasionally get Ocado or Tesco home deliveries and they're often fresh-faced polite young student types and I feel awkward about not tipping. You would if they were delivering a pizza and they're probably earning similarly? Does anyone tip them and/or is it expected?

Further to posting this yesterday, I emailed Ocado and this is what they said:

Thank you on your enquiry on tipping.

Ocado does not encourage tipping but it is up to the customer's discretion if they wish to tip.

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Eek!

I wouldn't tip any delivery driver - they're getting paid to do that job.

Would you expect a tip for doing your job?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • beetplek
    beetplek Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    alynns wrote: »
    I occasionally get Ocado or Tesco home deliveries and they're often fresh-faced polite young student types and I feel awkward about not tipping. You would if they were delivering a pizza and they're probably earning similarly? Does anyone tip them and/or is it expected?

I look after people with a mental illness. When I manage to get through the day withought a menber of the public not getting hit or attacked i`ve never recieved a tip and i`m told to be thankfull for my £11,300 a year wage. So if i delivered shopping to people I would love a tip. So yes they should.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well not all delivery drivers get a decent hourly rate, particularly takeaway drivers, and yes I am one, £4 and hour plus £1 a call and some times petrol doesn't even cover the trip. You pay own petrol and car

also mentioned below

Tipping takeaway drivers??! (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page)
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't tip sainsbugs drivers. They don't look like they are expecting it and besides I pay on my card online so don't necessarily have cash on me (whereas when I order takeaway I always tip as always have cash to pay for the food).

Besides the sainsbugs drivers all moan loads about having steps up to our building and really just dump the shopping on the door step (sometimes not even half of my order) ask for a signature and then want to go. I've heard some delivery drivers bring it into the kitchen and wait for you to unpack it :confused: Not where I am :rolleyes:

In addition, I often pay £5 for the shopping delivery - takeaways don't usually charge (if it's over a certain amount).
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • dazzer68
    dazzer68 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Options
    i dont think you should tip, you pay to have it delivered, do tesco tip you if you go and pick it up? i think the days of tipping should be over.and anyway you tip for thanks of a good job, not because you feel obliged to do so.
    i have worked in a shop (whsmith) who pay minimum wage, but i dont expect people to tip me. i had a customer who won a lot on the lottery ticket i sold them, and they wanted to give me some, but i didnt take it as it was my job.(though she bought a tin of biscuits for the staff room instead)
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does the supermarket drivers contract of employment say about accepting tips?
  • Rick38
    Rick38 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    When I worked for Safeway, it was considered gross misconduct to accept gratuities from customers.
  • beyond_skint
    beyond_skint Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    We had dominos delivered the other day for the first time and I thought the same, do we tip or not? So I didn't :D

I did feel awkward though.
  • Codswallop
    Codswallop Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    No, only £5 at Christmas if I'm feeling generous!
  • alynns
    alynns Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had dominos delivered the other day for the first time and I thought the same, do we tip or not? So I didn't :D

I did feel awkward though.

I always tip pizza or food delivery guys because I know they are paid peanuts and tips are a big part of their income. However, further to people saying we pay the supermarkets, I often get free Ocado slots and this poor young guy that delivered to us last time looked dead on his feet. He did bring the stuff into the kitchen too. He didn't look expectant at all but I did feel awkward.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure