Do you tip supermarket delivery guys?

Options

Comments

• mbriody
    mbriody Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the difference here is that you are usually being charged (often £5 or £6) for supermarket deliveries so I don't think its on to pay a tip as well.
  • clarky213
    clarky213 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    would you tip your postman every day?

Thats the job they choose to do, so no.

nobody comes in to the factory where I work and gives me a tip.
  • Stephen_Webber
    Stephen_Webber Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Options
    mbriody wrote: »
    Surely the difference here is that you are usually being charged (often £5 or £6) for supermarket deliveries so I don't think its on to pay a tip as well.

Well, the delivery guys don't get the delivery charge, but since they aren't generally allowed to accept tips, I wouldn't tip them. I believe that policy stems from supermarket staff not being permitted to have their own money on them while working, in case they get accused of theft. In the case of delivery drivers, I'd imagine gifts would be the same.
  • lexuslass
    lexuslass Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    Options
    I am quite lucky that the driver can drive right up to my front door and we go and fetch the shopping into the house while the driver passes it all to us from the van... they have always been really really friendly chatty people though and I have always felt really awkward not giving a tip! having worked in an industry where people were disciplined for taking a gratuity unless it was all put into a pot and paid back through wages and they were taxed on it...I have always thought I shouldn't give "backhanders"!

Although I have only done delivery shopping for the last six weeks and have never had the same driver come to my house and that would be a different matter(more so now after reading socks_uk message earlier!) The guy that delivered my shopping on Friday was so sweet - didn't look old enough to drive (maybe that's just me hitting my 30's and everyone looks young!) but he was so made up with a drive out down the country lanes in the sunshine with his sunglasses and his radio on!! I wanted to give him a tip but didn't know if I ought to and felt awkward when he got back into his van.....although he hadn't hung around for a tip..he was telling me about the deadlines they have and that he'd got to get back to the depot!

but what if you got an "e-voucher code" and got free delivery on your order? I have had one of these and I felt really bad knowing I hadn't paid to get my shopping delivered!!

would anybody give a tip of the £4 or £5 or a portion of what you had saved to the driver? :confused:

I notice that supermarkets do not take these off the bill that the driver gives you and it still shows to him/her that you have paid a delivery charge!!

Which would you do?

a) take the free delivery voucher and think "they make enough out of me with all the prices they are inflating recently and they should deliver it to my house"? :confused:
    b) give the delivery driver what you would have paid to the supermarket? :confused:
    c) split what you have saved in delivery charges with the driver? :confused:
    d) think well, the delivery driver is getting a wage for his job and probably cannot accept tips anyway? :confused:
    e) not even give it a second thought? :confused:

???
  • Pink_Glitter
    Pink_Glitter Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    lexuslass wrote: »
    I am quite lucky that the driver can drive right up to my front door and we go and fetch the shopping into the house while the driver passes it all to us from the van... they have always been really really friendly chatty people though and I have always felt really awkward not giving a tip! having worked in an industry where people were disciplined for taking a gratuity unless it was all put into a pot and paid back through wages and they were taxed on it...I have always thought I shouldn't!

Although I have only done delivery shopping for the last six weeks and have never had the same driver come to my house and that would be a different matter(more so now after reading socks_uk message earlier!) The guy that delivered my shopping on Friday was so sweet - didn't look old enough to drive (maybe that's just me hitting my 30's and everyone looks young!) but he was so made up with a drive out down the country lanes in the sunshine with his sunglasses and his radio on!! I wanted to give him a tip but didn't know if I ought to and felt awkward when he got back into his van.....although he hadn't hung around for a tip..he was telling me about the deadlines they have and that he'd got to get back to the depot!

but what if you got an "e-voucher code" and got free delivery on your order? I have had one of these and I felt really bad knowing I hadn't paid to get my shopping delivered!!

would anybody give a tip of the £4 or £5 or a portion of what you had saved to the driver? :confused:

I notice Asda do not take these off the bill that the driver gives you and it still shows that you have paid a delivery charge!!

Which would you do?

a) take the free delivery voucher and think "they make enough out of me with all the prices they are inflating recently and they should deliver it to my house"? :confused:
    b) give the delivery driver what you would have paid to Asda? :confused:
    c) split what you have saved in delivery charges with the driver? :confused:
    d) think well, the delivery driver is getting a wage for his job and probably cannot accept tips anyway? :confused:
    e) not even give it a second thought? :confused:

???

D - without a doubt. They are paid to deliver items to your door, that is their job. I don't understand why some jobs are considered worthy of tips and others not. I've just come back from america and the tipping culture is crazy there, you're even supposed to tip the barman for taking a lid off a bottle! I work in a pharmacy where I get guys delivering drugs 3 times a day. They don't get tipped, yet they are delivering life saving medication. Hospital staff do things that are worthy of tips but don't get (or expect) anything. People are paid to do their jobs. Free delivery is usually only given after u spend a certain amount, its no different to any other promotion encouraging you to shop at that particular supermarket.
  • almar_2
    almar_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    I dont tip Tesco delivery men, mine are always old and miserable, mind you if I had to carry shopping 7 days a week I would be pretty miserable too.
    Quidco £196 - Voucher Codes £408 - GC Saved £603
    P.A.D. £[strike]4720[/strike] / £4330- Jan GC £375/Spent £283.78
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Stephen_Webber
    Stephen_Webber Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Options
    I've just come back from america and the tipping culture is crazy there, you're even supposed to tip the barman for taking a lid off a bottle!

I think the problem there is that the wages these people are on are so poor, they depend on the tips to survive. It becomes a vicious circle - they get paid poorly because they will get tips, but need the tips because they are paid poorly. It's a culture I just don't understand. If I'm a regular in a pub, I would consider buying the bar staff a drink every now and again if I know them, but I certainly don't give them tips for serving me.
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    I think the problem there is that the wages these people are on are so poor, they depend on the tips to survive. It becomes a vicious circle - they get paid poorly because they will get tips, but need the tips because they are paid poorly. It's a culture I just don't understand. If I'm a regular in a pub, I would consider buying the bar staff a drink every now and again if I know them, but I certainly don't give them tips for serving me.
    Different rules in usa though over there people working in the service industry are taxed on the asumption they get a 15% tip from their orders!!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I only ever tip if I receive a service above and beyond what I would expect. (And I've got pretty high expectations!)

Agree with earlier poster who said alternative to tipping was to email the company and tell them about the good service you received. Thinking about it now, be sure to mention how it might make the company money (e.g. "I'll be much more likely to shop with you again in the future after Fred was so helpful") otherwise the comment might get taken the other way and they are told off for wasting time being helpful (e.g. "It was so nice when Fred came in for a cup of tea and listened to my stories from the war").
  • ebsay2000
    ebsay2000 Posts: 6,571 Forumite
    Options
    If you use a Takeaway delivery service regulary.........

Make Sure you tip the drivers well!!

You dont want to get a reputation for being mean..........

And start receiving 'added unspeakable xtra's' to your food!!!!!! :eek:

(ive seen enough progammes n read enough horror stories of what can go on...... eg: bogies, pubes, fingers in ya food n pizza being licked!!!:eek: )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure