Do you tip supermarket delivery guys?

Options

Comments

• Stephen_Webber
    Stephen_Webber Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Options
    Rick38 wrote: »
    When I worked for Safeway, it was considered gross misconduct to accept gratuities from customers.

Tesco had the same policy. If I was portering (OK, trolley boy ;)) and I helped somebody out to their car with their shopping, I was not allowed to accept any tips. I can't imagine the home delivery guys are any different.
  • huddsta
    huddsta Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    When I was an apprentice I wasn't entitled to minimum wage, in my first year I was paid around £2 an hour. After 3 years of employment I achieved minimum wage and now, 2 years on, I earn a touch over what an unskilled factory worker makes in a week. Should I be tipped? I don't see why certain services deserve tipping when you wouldn't dream of tipping others.
    Bet match total as of 04/10 = God Knows + About £1000 Quidco. Time for Mrs Huddsta to have a crack!!!

The Bronze Challenge - earn £250 in profits =£73.32
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I don't generally (I use Tesco's) but there was a lovely very young lad the other night who bought the van to the door (we're off the road on a narrow private drive) and he was soooooo helpful. My OH had to help him reverse out (otherwise he would have taken two fences and a neighbours car with him) and I admit I gave him a couple of squid. At the end of the day Tescos are charging you for the service so they 'should' pass that to the drivers in their pay (but I'm sure they don't!)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never tip Tesco delivery peeps, but always tip takeaway delivery drivers:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nope, have never once considered tipping sainsbury/tesco delivery man, have never really thought about it, do sometimes give a tip to pizza guy but usually dont
  • heskpesk
    heskpesk Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Options
    I gave a tip to my delivery driver: "Never buy a mermaid a pair of tights" lol

If its Xmas then I give him a more festive one " Never eat yellow snow"
  • PandaPants_2
    PandaPants_2 Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    I rarely tip, mainly because i can't afford it, but if someone gives me really good service or are exceptionally nice i will tip. Or if tipping isn't an option i send a nice email to their boss. Customer service is really going downhill these days though... :(
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I do tip pizza delivery guys but don't tip Supermarket delivery drivers.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Rhyburgh
    Rhyburgh Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Phew I was so glad that lots of other people don't tip supermarket drivers, because I don't either - and to be honest they have never looked like they were expecting it! If they did something out of the way to help me, then I would.
    Heard the Shaggy Taxi Wind Up Phone Call?
    Visit my Shaggy videos on Youtube - search for Rhyburgh1 - now over 700,00 views - bring on the million!! Enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure