Tipping takeaway drivers??!

Options
Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong place - but I wasn't sure where to post. I know having a takeaway delivered is very lazy and not money saving and I don't do it very often at all, but ........... do you tip the person that delivers it to your door?? I have only ordered one takeaway recently and paid for it at the door and the bloke looked really put out (I had the right money ready). When I shut the door I wondered if people normally tip??! (I think the food is expensive enough without adding a tip??! But they do get paid min wage??!) Was I rude?? :confused:
SAHM Mummy to
ds (born Oct 2007) and dd (born June 2010)

Comments

• saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I almost never get takeaways delivered (I do buy them, but the place is just down the road so I walk there myself). On the very rare occasions I get them, I do tip - not normally much, just a 'keep the change', so if it's a £14 order I give him £15.

That said, I was visiting a friend, and we ordered out, I ended up giving a £1.50 ish tip on a £20 order when I paid, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I started to ask if he thought I'd been stingy, and he said he NEVER tips at all, so I don't think you're alone.

If the delivery was late / cold, or he was rude, I wouldn't tip, but since we get them so rarely, I figure I may as well be nice. My SIL is working as a pizza delivery girl as a second job, she needs every penny, so I figure a lot of the other delivery people may be in a similar position.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    I always tip, as it's a hassle to get to our house!

£1 is plenty :)
    :cool:
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    I never tip. The only takeaways we tend to have delivered are Pizzas and I order them on the net and pay in advance by credit card so no money changes hands when they deliver so I don't tip. I dont' really see why you would, I don't tip Citilink or Royal Mail when they deliver parcels so why tip when someone delivers food?
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    i have to declare a (past) interest - was a pizza delivery driver, some years ago!

any/all tips are very welcome, i can assure you! most places i know off are paid barely over minmim wage hourly rate, plus maybe up to £1 per delivery, and/or mileage allowance.

this may sond good, but only works if you get a lot of orders over the night/week, and short distance ones too!

the place i worked at changed from allowing use of the shop cars, to making you use/insure/repair your own vehicle.. so tips may well go on petrol money!

exact money welcome, being at the address (clearly given? basement? side door? up a long path??), and answering the door promptly is expected- your pizza may be just one of several on a round trip!

tips are a bonus.. and yes, i did se some bare flesh occasonally, though i think it was unintended (rhey didnt realise i can see/saw them up to no good, when passing the window.. or accidental flash (fresh from the shower, etc!) - it made my evening!

i havent had pizza in a while (you get fed up with them, after a month or so, trying the different combinations!), but usually round up to nearest pound, maybe nore if the poor guy/girl came in bad weather!

ps- always hekps if your house number is cleasrly visible from the roadside - on front gate is dieal, to save stop/start to check each house, especially when its dark/wet!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I don't tip. The takeaways I use charge for delivery - usually a quid - I'm not tipping on top. Nobody has given me dirty looks - or maybe I just run in with it too quick! I don't tip just because it's expected. I do tip taxi drivers, especially if they help with shopping bags but not if they're moody, miserable gits.
  • Gforce_2
    Gforce_2 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    We tend to give a £1 tip.
  • zoelouise88
    zoelouise88 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Options
    We dont tip either, the last time we had one delivered it came to £14.60 roughly and we paid with a £20 and the bloke wasnt going to give us any change he was about to walk off until my oh dropped a hint and then he said oh nearly forgot your change
    Wins for 2011: ........................

Weight Lose Challenge: 7/1/11 60lbs to lose 23/1/11 17 lbs lost :) 43lbs to go!!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am a takeaway driver and a tip is very welcome. You dont get paid a lot and have to pay for running your own car and petrol which isnt cheap. I get basic pay when you take into account running costs in fact some calls I hardly make any money as it costs me so much for delivering. I am polite and chatty to customers I dont go looking for a tip but its always nice to get one, I treat everyone the same regardless of tip, sometimes I wish I didnt because I do get fed up at times going 4 mile trip there and 4 miles back for next to nowt. I have asked for more money for petrol but I just get a small increase despite travelling over 40 miles per evening. I also have to ring some customers and that comes out of my own pocket because they dont have a door bell at the flat or dont answer the door for what ever reason.

I get paid £4 an hour plus £1 delivery and £2 now for long journeys say 5 miles away only got that increased last week from £1. The local streets are the ones that make it worth while but I am getting more and more calls further a field. I get no money for fuel or car only freebie is a meal when I am done

All my tips go on car I put them in a jar each day I work Thursday- Sunday

House numbers are areal pain to find when its dark you can spend ages looking for address sometimes because upteen houses dont have a number, then there weather, steps, sometimes have to go up to top flat, then there's idiots who want to rob you and yes it does happen

I have also had people complain waiting ages for food at peak time, okay I know they have good reason but they dont always realise that you have to delivery 4 or 5 and they spread out all over, someone has to get food 1st and someone has to get it last, most customers dont pay delivery as its free over £12. when its quiet I can be at the house within 10 minutes sometimes less if its close.
  • sadie22
    sadie22 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    i always give a £1, and at xmas i give the same drivers a £5 each,
    our chinease are excellent, best food in the area, and are always wiling to tweek our dishes to what we want. ie no salt added to dishes, more veg, there brill.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both our Indian and Chinese deliver free, I always have the cash ready when they arrive and round up, if the resulting tip is less than 50p, I give another 50p on top.

Both are too far for me to walk, and if I got the car out I'd use more than the tip in petrol anyway.

That said, I can't actually remember when I last had a take-away
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure