We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tipping takeaway drivers??!

Options
123457»

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't usually tip takeaway delivery - online pizza you pay in advance. With currys I might round up to the nearest pound if paying by cash, but not usually if I pay by cheque. I don't like the whole "master-slave" aspect of tipping, and I think they should be paid a decent wage so we didn't have to do it at all.
  • strawberry_laces
    Options
    I round to the nearest pound so if it's £17.50 I give £20.00 and tell them to keep the change if it's £14.50 I unfortunately round it to £15.00 not £20.00 if it's £12.50 I round to £15.00 etc.

IYSWIM
    Capital one was £1000.00 now £0.00:j
    Barclaycard was £250.00 now £190. 00
    Asda credit card was £500.00 now £0.00:j
    Aim to be credit card free by December 2012... Mostly done
  • chilli_dog
    chilli_dog Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    i am an ex-takeaway driver, oh the joys i remember.

Drunk customers who fancy a fight, delivering to the pub who has had a lock in and they are all pi**ed and the 1:30 am drunk delivery were the guy has fallen asleep and you cant wake him, you end up taking the food back.

Tips were gratefully received, but i always gave a smile and a 'how are you doing'.

I could clear around a tenner a night in tips, but i worked in a very busy takeaway.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    overall, i counted the total of tips at end of the evening, rather than solo amounts given. if a really good (busy) night, would buy some beers for the shop staff, as they worked their butts off too!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Wow, me and DH had a conversation about this just last night!

We ordered a pizza from Domino's which we do every now and again (usually when there is a good voucher on hotukdeals) but, as usual, we paid online.

The guy loitered a bit, and when DH came back in, he said he wonders sometimes if they expect a tip.

that driver is out of order - let the shop know. this is paramount(?) tobegging, and needs to be stopped.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • laurajayne
    laurajayne Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    We live in an area where not many places deliver - no pizzas or anything. We have a chinese and an indian that deliver.

We get a chinese on a fairly regular basis - and they rock! They know who we are, and will usually quote 45 to 50 minutes, but it's normally here in 30 :D They're also the cheapest in the area, and haven't put their prices up in a while.

I usually tip the drivers - only time I don't is when I realise that I have no change - but they're usually ok with that, as they know I do usually (and I'll normally stick another £1 in next time.)

I think we usually get a priority delivery, and we've had free main courses and the like, so a couple of quid to keep them happy...I'm cool with that!
    :cool: Proud DFW Nerd 135 :cool:
    Sealed Pot Challenge - 019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills