We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Save Zillions On Cleaning Products

1…3839414344…61

Comments

  • Serena51
    Serena51 Posts: 203 Forumite
    100 Posts
    I think that the white vinegar is anti germ and bacteria because it is acetic acid, this surely would kill germs etc?

    I made up a spray of 1/3 Stardrops, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 water and now use that for all my surfaces as a general cleaner. Use soda crystals to clear and clean all the drains, w/m and d/w once a month - all sparkling!

    I think the most important thing re bathroom and kitchen cleaning is to keep cloths separate for each room and I also use separate pairs of rubber gloves too.

    Just my thoughts, am loving this thread
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2009 at 8:50PM
    Does anyone else use microfibre cloths? Ive started using them (4 for £1 at the poundshop) and they are fabby.

    Does anyone know how to make your own bath bombs or bubble bath? I am obsessed with Molton Brown bubble bath but cant afford it anymore so wanted to see if I can make something to use for the bath that would be nice but cheap.

    Edit - Have found a post for bath bombs so apologies for above. Did a search first time and couldnt find one.
    :smileyhea
  • scotterillo
    scotterillo Posts: 16 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    With regards to cleaning the home from top to bottom, I have recently started using cider! I drink 12 cans first thing in the morning and the house being a tip is the last thing on my mind!
  • hi just read a fascinating book about health, they recommend making your own cleaning materials (and beauty stuff too) but so far i am having trouble sourcing Borax or boric acid, sodium alginate. Also calcium hydroxide (lime water) to add to knickers wash as an antiseptic. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone on this if they have any ideas or knowledge which will help me find these items. Thanks:lovethougfrom tundra
  • sabbscat
    sabbscat Posts: 15 Forumite
    I found something on here the other day about putting a capful of vinegar in the washing machine to clean the drum, I can't find it now! Can anyone tell me either where I found that, or what type of cycle to put my machine on, and if I need to put my normal washing powder in the machine?

    Many Thanks :)
  • On saving money on cleaning stuff, I bought one of those cleaning mitts that are loopy on one side and smooth the other, for £2.99 from The Range but I'm sure you can get them other places too.
    This is a great thing, cleans mirrors, windows, tiles, even the shower cubicle glass using only water from a spray bottle. Still finding out what else it will clean No more foul smelling and expensive cleaning products for me :)
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Old scrunchy-things (the type you use in the shower) are great for cleaning the bath using a bit of shampoo or bubble bath (daughter has eczema so can't use cleaning products). They don't scratch the bath and makes enough bubbles to clean the bath only using a little bit.

    Washing up liquid and washing powder clean most things very well and you only need a tiny bit. I think we get lulled unnecessarily into buying lots of cleaning products that we just don't need.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    tundra wrote: »
    hi just read a fascinating book about health, they recommend making your own cleaning materials (and beauty stuff too) but so far i am having trouble sourcing Borax or boric acid, sodium alginate. Also calcium hydroxide (lime water) to add to knickers wash as an antiseptic. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone on this if they have any ideas or knowledge which will help me find these items. Thanks:lovethougfrom tundra

    Hi Tundra,

    What's the name of your book - it sounds interesting :)
  • tundra wrote: »
    hi just read a fascinating book about health, they recommend making your own cleaning materials (and beauty stuff too) but so far i am having trouble sourcing Borax or boric acid, sodium alginate. Also calcium hydroxide (lime water) to add to knickers wash as an antiseptic. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone on this if they have any ideas or knowledge which will help me find these items. Thanks:lovethougfrom tundra


    I know Dri-Pak make all those kind of products as i regularly buy their white vinegar, Borax substitute and citric acid. You can buy their products in most supermarkets, but i think you can get from them directly aswell off the website, www.dri-pak.co.uk.

    Hope this helps!
  • khawk
    khawk Posts: 11 Forumite
    We use vinegar to clean our windows, just put it on with a scrunched up newspaper and wipe off with a clean white cloth.

    Cleaned up a large coffee stain (looked like the map of italy) on a light carpet with white vinegar and once dry spinkle salt over and left for hour. Hoovered up and now the stain has gone...

    Just one thing what are Stardrops?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.