PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 30th June 2008

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week when it comes to housework, or just the motivation to do the dreaded housework tasks you have to do, come and join us, hopefully make it a little easier. You never know, you might start to enjoy it!

Following requests to start things steadier for new members who did not realise the tasks list wasn’t a must do, just an encouragement. There will now be level 1, 2 and 3. Level 1 being very basic it has been requested that this is just one task per day, level 2 in the middle, up to 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. If you want to do level 2 you add the tasks on level 1 with the level 2 tasks, if you want to do level 3 you add the tasks on, easy peasy. Choose a level to aim for but be realistic, if you’ve got a busy day on or are just starting etc aim for level one, if you get higher then great, if not then not to worry its only suggestions. Every room comes back around next week. Trust me some days I'll only be doing level one myself.

THESE LISTS ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS AND NOT A MUST DO LIST, ALWAYS WELCOME TO POST AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN.

Also adding a declutter mission each day. Another one where it’s up to you if you want to do it or if you need to. This follows requests from members who are looking to declutter. Fling boogies, hotspot clearing, cupboard sorts, drawer sorts etc will all be on this list. Any problems with this of any suggestions do please let me know.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are any areas which if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

27 Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a binbag and whizz around the house finding 27 items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
5GC five minutes gardening.. make it lovely for your spring flowers and sowing

Ok here goes this week

Magnificent Monday - Kitchen of Klutter and Dining room of Disaster
Level One
Open the windows and let in the light
Clear and wipe the worksurfaces & table
Fill a binbag for charity shop
Level Two
Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
wash and deflea pet bedding and any pets that need doing
Level Three
Sweep and mop the floor
dust and twinkle the dining room furniture
Drag everything out of the cutlery drawer.. wipe it out and put back the bits you are keeping.. Get rid of the things you aren't!!
Extras

1. HHI
  2. Throw away all the chipped and cracked crockery.. these place harbour germs and I don't like them!
  3. Deweb the downstairs of the house!!
  4. Scrub down the woodwork.. skirtings, door frames etc
Terrific Tuesday - Bathroom of Bubblovia and Sparkling Study
Level One
Clear the floors of clutter
Open the windows and air the rooms
Level Two
Clean/vacuum the floors
Shine the bath,bog,basins etc
Twinkle the tiles
Level three
Clean the toilet seat germs off the telephone, keyboard, mouse, monitor, sockets and switches
declutter the pc desk
Sparkle the mirrors and windows in these rooms
Extras

1. HHI
  2. HHG.. if your garden is already beautiful go out and enjoy it for half an hour!!
  3. fill the bath with lovely warm bubbles.. and get in it!!!!!! enjoy!!!!!!!
Tootling Wednesday - Sitting Room of Sunshine and Hallway of Happiness
Level One
Open the windows and turn on some music!
Wipe and water the plants
Declutter the chairs, floor and fireplace
Level Two
Vacuum the floor now it is visible
Wash any throws/curtains/cushion that need freshening up
Clean any glass.. pictures, windows, mirrors etc
Level Three
Vacuum under any furniture you can.. please don't injure yourselves!
Sort through the shoes and coats and bags.. make them pretty!
HHC in the understair cupboard!
Extras
  1. Groom the hairy pets... or the children lol
  2. 29 fling boogie
  3. Spend 15 minutes tackling a hotspot
  4. Wipe the woodwork in these areas
Thursday thrills - Bedroom of Duvet-nia & Landing of Loveliness
Level One
Open the window and air the room
Strip off smelly bedding and sling it in the wash
Level Two
Vacuum the mattress and air the duvet
remake bed with the clean bedding
Put the floordrobe in the wardrobe
Find 10 things to get rid of!.. no men/women/children/pets
Level Three
Vacuum the landing and bedroom.. starting at the bottom of the stairs!!!!
Remove anything that should be elsewhere.. your bedroom is NOT a shed!!
Remove some dust bunnies and wipe over the light shades
Extras
  1. Wash any curtains that need doing
  2. binbag dance
  3. Clean the windows
  4. 15 minutes sort out of the landing gibble.. see if you can find something to rehome!
Friday - those frightening Friday kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One
Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Level Two
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade!!
Level Three
Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extra Task List

1. Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
  2. Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
  3. 30 minutes ironing
  4. Pick a job you hate and do that.. cleaning the oven, scrubbing out the fridge, washing the windows.. go get it over and done with!
Weekend Wonders
  1. HHI
  2. Make sure those uniforms are ready for Monday
  3. Change any bedding that was missed during the week
  4. HHG.. or if rubbish weather HH-something else!!
  5. Wipe the grottiest marks of the carpet!
  6. Fill a binbag of stuff to go.. rubbish, charity or donate to a friend.. FLING
  7. Catch up on a room you skipped.. or wasn't included!.. right to level 3
  8. Wash the grottiest windows
  9. 15 minute attacking a hotspot!! (or standing over the OH making him do it!!)
  10. Clean out the fridge... the children and hubbys can eat anything that is on the turn!
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)

Comments

• juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks pigpen

Really must try and keep up this week or else they won't be able to get round the house on Saturday to put the new windows in!

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    Thanks Pigpen, I'm definantely in this week. I'm sick of doing application forms and house looking like a dump, so I'm giving myself the week off applying for jobs unless my dream job as Matthew McConaughey Wife:rolleyes: :D is advertised.

Today I've given everywhere a s&S and gotten through the three week ironing mountain. Have made a curry for tomorrow nights dinner and done some baking:D
    GC: £400/ £0
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Count me in for this week, too.

The washing is getting rather out of control and I need to get back into some kind of routine with the housework - I have been horribley lazy recently, so hopefully posting here daily should get me a little more focused.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    face filled and now getting grublets off to their nests.. then I am off for that long needed shower and skiving off to the public hovel.. need to touch up my paint job first I singed it off in the oven.

Best go hang out some more laundry... it is all I ever manage to have time for.. no wonder the rest of the house is such a pit!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ping I'm in, well as much as I can be. DP just got back so I best feed him and me, I'm starving!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • vanilla
    vanilla Posts: 3,277 Forumite
    I'm in again this week and thanks Pigpen for putting the lists up.

Been out in the garden awhile and i have 3 tiny tomatoes:j best go out and do some weeding.
    Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough.
    And things go wrong no matter what I do.
    Now and then it seems that life is just too much.
    But you've got the love I need to see me through.
    :j :j
  • GreenManG0
    GreenManG0 Posts: 111 Forumite
    This is going to be my first enry into this weeks thread, im new to OS so hope it goes okay!
    Have only been living away from home for 1 year now and it is hard work. After my boyfriend coming down to clean the whole flat for me this weekend, it is in a state where I can maintain it now, so im hoping this thread can help me stick to it!
    Dont want to live in a dump again, think I will have one unhappy boyfriend!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the suggestions re stove. I have a tube of the blacking stuff so might give it a go. It is dusty rather than rusty - we only put it in at Christmas. I have dusted it, and cleaned the glass with nasty chemical stovax stuff. It just looks a bit grey IYSWIM.

Lil me - Sorry I didn't explain very well. We are chopping up a huge corridoor, a loo and a bathroom to make two rooms, one bigger than the other. One will be a bedroom for DS2 who currently shares with DS1, the other will be the main family bathroom. We will have a small en suite on our room eventually - if I win the lottery - so a total of one bathroom and one en suite for five bedrooms. I can't decide if the bathroom should be in the bigger room and stuff the child. DH says it would be easier to put the bathroom in the smaller room as the majority of the plumbing is there, but DS2 will have the airing cupboard in his room. Not the boiler. I used to be decisive but....

Pigpen, I have been waiting to see how your e-bay stuff got on. How did you do? I think I am going to have to have a serious look at what I can sell to buy a bathroom suite. You said children went down well.....?

Tonight I have to clean out my car for its MOT tomorrow, and do something about the ironing pile. hide it perhaps?

and welcome to GreenManGo
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    I shall be more in this week than I was last week! Being away Monday-Wednesday, I was in holiday mode and never really got a move on...

This week I'm working Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, but will try very hard to do some flying as well.

I've mostly been gardening today, on the allotment this morning and at home this afternoon. I've also been trying to find a hotel for one night half way to our first holiday gite. I think I've almost chosen, but just need to check again on the maps. I've been warned that Rouen is no fun to drive round, so I'm trying to keep away from the centre.

Hex - You could always ask a local estate agent - but it all depends on whether you are thinking of selling at one point, when you might want to consider the resale value of anything you do. For instance, I know you need to keep the balance of rooms, and too few bathrooms - say only one for five bedrooms, would not be great. Nor would too many too small bedrooms. On the other hand, if you are there for the long term, then think ahead for your own family. Teenagers need room and bathroom time. I'd be inclined to keep the bedrooms of a reasonable size, and maybe go for an extra bathroom, or maybe a shower room/loo. Perhaps you can almost divide the space so one end is almost a self contained suite? I don't know your house well enough!

Hi to all the newbies!
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • Scared1980
    Scared1980 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Hey everyone.

I am in :0)

i should be able to do pretty well this week, I don't work Mondays so have no excuses for tomorrow and in addition I am off Wednesday and Friday this week too :j

Wednesday my OH is having his second catarch(sp?) operation... he is only 36 :eek: bless him... all the doctors keep telling him how unique he is... which of course makes me crack up laughing!

Friday is DD1's school assembly... she has two lines to say (she's only 4 bless) and has to dress like a nurse! its the hungry caterpillar and she tells him off for eating too much or something!

So anyway... ramble over... I have no excuses this week!

Lyns
    x
    I am a daughter, a sister and a friend.. but the role that fits me most is "mum"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure