Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2012 at 12:17PM
    Options
    Hi

Not been on here for a while so apologies if any duplication of effort.

For very high usage of LPG, I found this link.....
    http://www.lpgbuyinggroup.co.uk/how-to-save-on-lpg-costs

I'm buying my domestic LPG through Mole Valley Farmers(framtrade), who in turn purchase from Calor.

20/9/11 - 44.5ppl
    21/1/12 - 42.9ppl
    26/4/12 - 46.9ppl quote

As you can see a 4ppl hike in three months.

Does anyone have an idea on the direction with LPG pricing? I guess that the price normally falls back in the summer but please advise whether I should top up now or wait.

I keep having to contact MVF to find out the rate for LPG but is there anywhere online to get a chart of Calors pricing or failing that a wholesale LPG trend in pricing chart.

Thanks

Rob
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April 2012 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Rhino666 wrote: »
    <snip>

For very high usage of LPG, I found this link.....
    http://www.lpgbuyinggroup.co.uk/how-to-save-on-lpg-costs

I'm buying my domestic LPG through Mole Valley Farmers(framtrade), who in turn purchase from Calor.

20/9/11 - 44.5ppl
    21/1/12 - 42.9ppl
    26/4/12 - 46.9ppl quote

As you can see a 4ppl hike in three months.

Does anyone have an idea on the direction with LPG pricing? I guess that the price normally falls back in the summer but please advise whether I should top up now or wait.

I keep having to contact MVF to find out the rate for LPG but is there anywhere online to get a chart of Calors pricing or failing that a wholesale LPG trend in pricing chart.

<snip>

Thanks for the link for bulk bulk buying. Anyone on here using 25,000 litres plus per year should find it useful.

Mole Valley claim to get good prices for their members anywhere in the UK - you need to pay just £10 p.a. to access Mole Valley Plus (here). BUT one or two people have posted that they have got better prices individually from the major suppliers which MVF use: I expect at least with MVF you won't get ripped off. There are other farm co-ops which get deals for members (HateLPG posted on this a while back but I cannot find it).

Only a few companies have transparent pricing (i.e visible to all - see here) - and this does NOT include Calor! General wholesale price trends are on the graph below of ANSI monthly prices. The wholesale prices generally follow crude prices - and do not necessarily drop in the summer as they are affected by many factors, some of which have no relation to usage in the Northern Hemisphere's summer!

lpg_price_info.php
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Littlevermin

Thanks for getting back to me - I had hoped you would see my post:-)

Looking at the chart you posted, it is no surprise that LPG has gone up considerably recently - a 35% jump in the ANSI price within the time period discussed, although there has since been a significant drop back. I have enough LGP to tough out a cold May and the rest of the summer, so am able to gamble on a continued fall in price - hopefully the gamble will pay off?

For me, living in south Deven, the MVF price is the best I can get AFAIK but I am tied in for 3 years, pay a higher tank charge and MVF subs.

There seems to be more volatility in LPG prices than in the stock market.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Contacted Calor today and have the following offer:
    51.9p per litre (49.4p + VAT) frozen for 9 months plus £250 worth of LPG free. I mentioned that I was using 6000 litres per year and the price was reduced to 49.8p per litre (47.4p plus VAT). I've asked the young lady I spoke to for written details which she is now sending me. Currently with Countrywide who charged me 51.45p per litre including VAT for the last delivery in March. Our next delivery with Countrywide is set to be 3.5p per litre more according to their last letter of January 2012. Contract is up on 7th May 2012 so will be checking with other suppliers for the best deal. I'll let you all know of their offers!
  • ironnick
    ironnick Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I'll have a chat with John Rose. He seemed amiable when I spoke to him. Ace, where abouts are you in the UK please?
    Regards,
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Hi ironnick,

We're near Kenilworth, CV8 1NW - any help appreciated!
  • The_Hornet
    The_Hornet Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April 2012 at 5:47PM
    Options
    What would be very useful to everyone on here (and of course particularly to ironnick and The Hornet!) would be the history of the prices charged by Rose Gas and Cardiff Gas.

Well what an interesting day! Had the promised phone call from Countrywide's contract manager who asked what he could do for me. I explained I was an existing customer, well out of contract and looking for a fill. We talked about the price they had offered me this morning (51.5ppl +VAT) and I said I would most likely move to Cardiff Gas who had offered me 47ppl (+VAT) with a possible further reduction next week.

We had a little chat with him saying how firm prices were and me explaining about the ANSI price (shown above) and how markets seemed to be falling etc. etc. So bottom line - he makes me an offer of a new 2 year contract at 44.5ppl I ask what about a price without a contract and he said they could do "something in the region of 46-47ppl". I said make it 46ppl and I'll order and that's what I got. A 5.5p reduction for making a couple of phone calls!

Now on to Cardiff Gas, I was asked if I could get some historical prices out of them and much to my surprise they were happy to oblige. All the prices below are for supply to where they own the tank rather than the customer:

5735750822467825025?authkey=CJq33eCGmo_MAQ

Arrrgh! I have tried to embed a jpg but it doesn't seem to be showing. Here's a link https://plus.google.com/photos/116764481276826796729/albums/5735750822467825025?authkey=CJq33eCGmo_MAQ

Any ideas how I can get an image in my post? I have uploaded it to Picassa
  • LittleVermin
    edited 26 April 2012 at 11:51PM
    Options
    The_Hornet wrote: »
    Well what an interesting day! <snip>

promised phone call from Countrywide's contract manager who asked what he could do for me. <snip> We had a little chat with him saying how firm prices were and me explaining about the ANSI price (shown above) and how markets seemed to be falling etc. etc.
    <snip>

A 5.5p reduction for making a couple of phone calls!

Now on to Cardiff Gas, I was asked if I could get some historical prices out of them and much to my surprise they were happy to oblige. <snip>

You shouldn't be surprised that Cardiff Gas let you have the info on past prices. They've nothing to hide! I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you a whole lot more about the off-grid energy market if you become a customer. Well, that's my experience of independents. And please share the info. Several submissions to the OFT off-grid energy market study were informed by the info we'd got - and with help from a former oil trader who posts on MSE (and that's why several of us were so disappointed with the report, but better things have come from them since, which is why we need to keep the OFT's Sharon Dias posted! See HateLPG's post here)

And as to Countrywide, Calor, Flogas, BP, and Avanti everyone can refer to the ANSI plot - just as you've done: "how firm prices were" can be countered with "how markets seemed to be falling". Great!

BTW - please take a look at my post with the graph (here) - there's a new addition thanks to HateLPG (and, of course, to you for getting the figures)! Maybe Rose's prices too tomorrow?
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Countrywide, our existing supplier, offered me 50.5p per litre (inc VAT) today. Told them that I used 6000 litres per year, will come back to me on Monday re: any further offer.
  • LittleVermin
    edited 27 April 2012 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Countrywide, our existing supplier, offered me 50.5p per litre (inc VAT) today. Told them that I used 6000 litres per year, will come back to me on Monday re: any further offer.

You've EIGHT potential suppliers listed on UKLPG (and then there's Mole Valley Farmers, etc. And maybe even Extra Fuel).

So my advice would be to talk to the independents Lister, Energas, Callow and Carver - mentioning your 6000l p.a.! - this afternoon before Countrywide have a chance to come back to you.

Someone has certainly posted a good report about Listers on the forum, and maybe a "search this thread" would turn up comments on some of the others.

And if you've time you could talk to Calor, Flogas and Avantigas too!

Suppliers HAVE to give a quote over the phone (in CC Orders) - subject to site inspection, of course, before offering to take you on.

Here's the quote (from http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/assets/competitioncommission/docs/pdf/inquiry/current/gas/lpg_order_final.pdf):
    19.3 A supplier shall make available via a telephone enquiry point quotes for the supply of domestic bulk LPG to a customer, such quotes to be provided in pounds sterling and pence per litre.
    19.4 Any information a supplier provides in accordance with articles 19.2 and 19.3 may be stated to be subject to an inspection of the tank and its site and such other checks as the supplier may reasonably require.
    If any supplier is reluctant to quote without a site visit please email Sharon Dias at OFT! [EMAIL="sharon.dias&#64;oft.gsi.gov.uk"]sharon.dias@oft.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] We've been told of this non-compliance before.

BTW people normally quote prices exclusive of the 5% VAT - so it's easier to compare! AND do make sure to ask each supplier how much they charge for tank rental!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback