PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day; recipe at post 30

This is my first post, so I hope i dont screw up, however I really thought peple would be interested in this method from hat I have seen whilst lurking in the backgrouond of the boards;)
I would consider this bread making technique to be OS.
This may sound like a promotion but I swear, do not work for the publishers, this book really has cut down on the amount of bread products I buy, (no more, bread, pita, batches & naan when shopping), and has increased the quality of the food I now eat. The preparation time is minimal aswell, the basic recipie make four one pound loaves, which is always a bonus.:j

You mix up the basic dough mix (NO KNEADING REQUIRED) store in a non airtight bucket/container, leave to rise in a warm spot for 2 hours. Then store in the fridge for up to 14days! (dough can also be frozen for around 3months, & just defrosted overnight in fridge ready to use)

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
*edit to remove recipe* please see link above for recipe!

The basic Boule dough can be used to make: crusty white loaf, pizza dough, calzone, naan bread, pita bread, baguette and even sweet recipes such as sticky caramel and pecan rolls.;)
The book is defiantly worth it for the amount of recipes, but Zoë’s site gives you lots of recipes to try out without having to purchase the book first if you a uncertain of the method/recipes: http://zoebakes.com/?cat=13
Proud to be dealing with my debts

Comments

• npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have the book and absolutely love it.
    I am a self-confessed bread-snob and I was highly sceptical at first but the recipes really do work.
    Tip: use fine SEA salt NOT table salt...if you use table salt it will be disgustingly salty...ask me how I know!
    Also, I only use 1 tablespoon of yeast.

My favourites at the moment are the Olive Oil Dough and the Oatmeal Bread.
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • GreenManG0
    GreenManG0 Posts: 111 Forumite
    I have the olive oil dough in the fridge at the moment, I am loving calzone usually mkeon up with left overs in fridge, mushrooms perrpers tomtos and chees nd pop in the oven whilst im getting ready in the morning, tasty and filling luch that looks like you got it from a fancy bread shop!
    How did you discover the saltiness?
    glad to heard from somebody who loes this too!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm intrigued -how big does the container need to be to store the dough? I have several 4 litre size plastic tubs -would they do ?
  • Twig
    Twig Posts: 59 Forumite
    This recipe looks great - specially cos I don't have a breadmaker. This is probably a daft question but what do you mean by unbleached all purpose flour? and how long would you bake rolls for and at what temp?

Thanks
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    looks interesting but is granulated yeast the easy yeast?
  • cheeks
    cheeks Posts: 211 Forumite
    This sounds really interesting, i've only recently started making my own bread using a bread maker and we are really enjoying the results! This sounds like fun too!! Thanks for the links x
    If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed back out?:rotfl:
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Thanks for posting that GreenManGo... can you enlighten me a little further on the technique you use for cooking Nan and Pitta with this recipe??? I'm missing my Aga terribly (turned off for the summer to save money!) and I've been looking at indian breads that I can cook on camping gaz, or in an improvised oven in the gas Barbeque... how does she suggest you cook flat breads?

Regards

Kate
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I like the sound of this but, like Twink, would like you to clarify about the yeast and, like Thriftlady, about the size of the container, please! Thanks - I will definitely give it a go.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    This looks really interesting, on the link given, Zoe uses a bucket/tub of about 6 qts. This is about 12 pints, but I was thinking of reducing the starting quantity as I only have 1 little fridge now. :(
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To answer a few questions:
    - any yeast will do, I use non-instant granulated bc I buy it in 250g tubs and it's cheaper
    - i use my Kenwood Chef bowls with a shower cap on top. You need something that can hold the dough doubling in size
    - flour: I have used strong white flour and also 00 pasta flour ( I make so much bread that i order flour in 25kg sacks from Shipton Mill). I also used plain flour once but I don't usually have it around.
    - salt: I first used table salt and the bread was flat and disgusting! I looked on the authors' website (which is excellent) and saw that sea salt and table salt are not the same thing when it comes to saltiness.
    Bread is my passion so I frequent breadmaking forums and therefore read up a lot on this method before realising I was having issues bc of salt. I was also advised to reduced the yeast to 1 tablespoon and with those changes the bread is fab.

Hope this helps a little.

I love talking about bread and my mission in life is to tell the world about real bread so feel free to ask any questions...
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport