July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.6K views

Replies

• *BigBird**BigBird* Forumite
    1K Posts
    Had some HM yogurt to use up, so have got my first attempt at yogurt cake in the oven :T No idea how it'll turn out, but it smells fantastic. If it tastes as good as it smells, it's going to be a real struggle to leave it for 2 or 3 days for the flavour to develop!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    NSD yesterday, today spent 72p on a loaf of bread (cheapest one they do in T. express, grrr) Wish I had a loaf tin big enough to bake bread in!
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • jediteacherjediteacher Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    :T :T :T Ohhh, I'm so proud of you and you should be so proud of yourself too, A MASSIVE WELL DONE! See, we told you you could do it. and a great compliment from your OH too, fantastic... Keep it up girl....:T :T :T

Bless you that's very kind. :A
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • jediteacherjediteacher Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    MissPin wrote: »
    Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.

Not sure but this is the recipe I followed:

8 sausages
    4oz (100g) plain flour
    2 eggs
    Milk
    Oil
    1 small onion

1. I cooked the sausages until they started to go brown on my gridle pan, then added the onion for about 3 minutes.
    2. In a large bowl I sifted the plain flour and made a well in the centre.
    3. To make the batter I broke the eggs one at a time and put them into the well. Then I added a dash of milk and whisked the mixture. I kept adding a dash of milk until the texture was fairly thick put runny.
    4. I put the sausages and onions into a medium sized oven proof dish with a drizzle of olive oil and then poured the batter over the top.
    5. I then put into the oven on gas mark 7 (220C) for 20 minutes.
    6. Voila a lovely Toad in the Hole.

Sorry, if this is a bit basic but it's the way I follow recipes.

Also just noticed that I have my second star! :j
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • SoshSosh Forumite
    175 Posts
    Does anyone operate a separate 'bulk buy' budget? Just wondering as i used the Waitrose code which has now 'blown' my July budget, however it is stuff that probably wont get used in july and i only got it so i could use the code which is great. So maybe i could reduce the GC money by say £25 a month and run a separate bulk buy budget of £300 per year??? I would spend the same amount, just differently i suppose. Sorry for the rambling, just wondering if anyone else did this?

I have a bulk buy pot. Each month, I ferret money away into 3 extra pots, bulk buys, Christmas and caravan (for when the caravan opens each March.) So far, since joining the challenge, I haven't had to dip into my bulk buy pot, but it's nice to know it's there if i need it.

I am sooooo mad. This morning, I used my last eggs to make a cake for dd's playgroup party in the morning. When I got back from my Mums, dh said he didn't want any tea tonight as he'd stuffed his face on the cake I'd made. He's EATEN HALF :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank God for twinks :p
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • Hi All,
    I know I am being thick but what are "whoopsies" !!?? I keep seeing it recipes etc and just cant think what you mean?
    TFxx:o
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last

DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• Still catching up on thread,:eek:
    Thanks to Zoe, Orkney star,and perrywinkle,Den, Dink 1 It's nice of you to care:A

Nikki, ur always so helpful, hope ur soon better, been there done that:eek:

JJ, well done with the job, hope you enjoy :beer:

Savsr, we've all been there hon, ur fine, don't worry:A

Susieq, hope ur op goes well, look after ur self;)

JediTeacher, love Toad in the Hole, well done that is only the beginning:cool:

Annelouise, I love to see you post, it's always so informitive:A

Herboholic, lots of lovely info, thanks

Xredwebx, you'll be ok just follow all advice

Love and hugs to all who need it:A

And also to those who don't, we all need it:A

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    I know I am being thick but what are "whoopsies" !!?? I keep seeing it recipes etc and just cant think what you mean?
    TFxx:o

Hi there toottifrootti

You are not thick,, whoopsies are knocked down items that you pick up in stores,, I think MrA has them and other stores are just reduced items

270px-David-Tennant-2.jpg
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• catnap53catnap53 Forumite
    227 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Zoe If you want to cook and freeze rice you have to make sure that you cool it as quickly as possible and refridgerate/freeze it within an hour of cooking. Always reheat it thoroughly. ;)

Quote from: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/

I have been looking at this recently. I was trained in microbiology (long ago)and we were taught about this. It stems from Chinese restaurants that used to boil rice and then left it at room temperature overnight ready to quickly heat it up as fried rice the next day. Most cases of food poisoning don't get reported as the symptoms are usually mild and short term.

There are actually two different forms caused by different toxins, one is vomiting that starts between 1 to 6 hours after eating the affected food. The other is diarrhoea with abdominal cramps that starts between 6 to 12 hours after eating.

However it is not only rice that can be affected, the bacteria like to grow on any starchy food such as pasta and potatoes. There have been deaths associated with pasta. One I found was from a pasta salad that was made on a Friday, taken to a picnic on Saturday, then kept in a fridge that was not working properly and eaten on Monday. The whole family was affected, but some didn't eat much because it 'smelled funny' and they survived.

Another was the son of a doctor. They had both eaten for the third time from a batch of spag bol. Again it had 'smelled funny'.

Sorry if this is too much information, but rice gets the bad press.

I always cook too much rice and pasta and save it in the fridge, so I am not scaremongering, just careful. I always look for any signs of bacterial growth and smell it before reheating properly and serving it, and if I have any doubt about how long I have kept it I just give it to DH!

Zzzzz

• zoe260373zoe260373 Forumite
    868 Posts
    Still catching up on thread,:eek:
    Thanks to Zoe, Orkney star,and perrywinkle, It's nice of you to care:A

Nikki, ur always so helpful, hope ur soon better, been there done that:eek:

JJ, well done with the job, hope you enjoy :beer:

Savsr, we've all been there hon, ur fine, don't worry:A

Susieq, hope ur op goes well, look after ur self;)

JediTeacher, love Toad in the Hole, well done that is only the beginning:cool:

Annelouise, I love to see you post, it's always so informitive:A

Love and hugs to all who need it:A

And also to those who don't, we all need it:A

HWGA xx
    your welcome chick,how are you feeling now?x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals